Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-29-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
2004 Supra Launch DD Indmar

After spending the afternoon on the water using the brand new battery I installed this AM, I noticed the battery wasn't being charged. Hoping to get a new alternator tomorrow but since it's a holiday weekend and I"m in the middle of nowhere, I'm not very hopeful. My question: do you actually need a battery once your engine is running? THinking you do as it helps the sparks but not sure.

Also, if I find a new alternator, how hard is it to replace? And could I get by with a "car" alternator for a few more days on the water or does it need to be a "marine" alternator??

Thanks in advance.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-29-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Yes you need a battery once its running, and removing the batter when the engine is running is a big no no.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-29-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Why is it a big no no? Just curious.

I have 2 batteries and am currently having "battery charging" issues. My stereo battery wouldnt charge but the starter battery would. I started the engine, disconnected both batteries, swapped them, and hooked the cables back up. It fixed the problem for the day.
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-30-2008, 12:12 AM Reply   
matt moss - when you are at the parts store getting your new battery pick up a new alternator

when you disconnect the battery you open the charging circuit and the alernator will fry (someone on here will fill in the technical terms shortly im sure)

some systems do have a protection circuit to prevent this. my 2005 mastercraft does not

Good luck
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-30-2008, 12:32 AM Reply   
I had been using a car alternator the last few years unaware of the fact but I am glad I fried it and now have a high quality marine alt.

They are not hard to swap out at all.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-30-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
tbonus - thanks for the info. I hope someone can shed more light on the "technical" terms. Maybe that's why I am having issues.

My friend is the one that said I could do that. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff. Now I learned something new.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-30-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quoted from BCAE:

Some people tell you that you can check your alternator by disconnecting it from the battery to see if the alternator can produce enough current to keep the engine running. BAD IDEA! Disconnecting the battery will subject the voltage regulator (and computer and audio equipment...) to significant voltage spikes which may cause an otherwise good alternator to fail. Even if there were no damaging spikes, this test would not indicate whether or not the alternator was good because the engine will easily run with a weak or failing alternator.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-30-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
get it bench tested. they can spin it and tell you the output of the alt. They can also rewind you alternator (rebuild it) your alt pretty cheap. If you're running a big stereo system, they can rewind it with extra wire, squeezing a few more amps out of it.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-30-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
I don't think you technically need the battery once the engine is running but if they aren't recharging then the alternator is probably shot. So in your case it won't run.

I had a buddy take his car to the wrecking yard and stopped two blocks away and with the engine on took out the radiator and the batteries and drove it the last two blocks without them.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-30-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
ronia - didnt mean to hijack your thread. the alternator is not hard at all to remove. it should take maybe 10 minutes. mine only has 2 bolts holding it in place. as long as you order one that mounts correctly, it should be seamless.

in regards to my alternator, i think i am lucky at this point. I have unhooked the batteries 2 weekends in a row thinking i had the problem fixed, but i didnt. I took the alternator to a shop this morning and he tested it. He said it was ok and was putting out over 50 amps.

I rewired my isolator and everything else today too. It showed 14 volts across the board. I guess the holiday weekend will tell if it all works. I hope so!!!

(Message edited by mossy44 on June 30, 2008)
Old    walt            06-30-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
If I remember right the marine alternators have extra spark protection that the car alts don't have.

Spark + Gas fumes = your own 4th of July fireworks.
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-30-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
youre correct walt, they have spark arrestors built in, same with the carb and starter
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-30-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
I was able to get mine fixed... two blown solenoids. $200 with tax (Canada) -
Now I just can't seem to get the bugger back into the boat .... IT was a tight squeeze getting it out. Started pouring rain so I guess I'll get back to it after the thunder storm. Thanks guys.

And to answer my own question, you do need a battery once the boat is running.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-30-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
Ronia:

Did you check online for new or rebuilt units? I bought a brand new Mando unit for my Mercruiser (105 amp) for $110 CDN from

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Alternators/Marine/
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-30-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
I took what I could get on a holiday weekend and that was a guy rebuilding mine.
I"m out in the middle of nowhere without a lot of options. FOr $200, hopefully this one will last me a while (if I Can get it back in) ==
We'll see what happens.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-01-2008, 4:44 AM Reply   
If an alternator repair person told me they installed solonoids in my alternator I would believe they ripped me off. Alternators have rectifers and diodes, no solonoids. The only solonoid in your boat is on the starter.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
George is right.

First thing to always check if you are not getting output at your batteries is to check to make sure the belt tension is good and that the belt isn't too cracked or glazed over.

Second is to check all your connections including grounds. Take the connections off and use a wire brush to clean all connections.

Also don't necessarily believe your voltmeter on the dash. Use a multimeter and check voltage at the battery.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-02-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
maybe he said diodes... I'm a chic, I can't remember.
My volt meter is now reading almost 14 volts when running.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-02-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
That is perfect Ronia. Your voltmeter should be at 13.7 or close to that. He replaced the diodes. It sucks that they charge that much considering the diodes probably cost about $5 a piece. Damn Labor rates and being in a hurry.