Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-15-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Here are the results from JD Power...
http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ski
Upload

Upload
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-15-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
How come CC only got 3 out of 5 for water sports?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
How do you go from 2 to 5 stars on what is basically the same engine. Almost all of these companies are using a GM block marinized by either PCM, Indmar, or Mercruiser. Don't Skier's Choice, Malibu, and MC all use Indmar?
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-15-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
This page has been photoshopped for sure! They can't be dissin' on my Supra can they?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-15-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Lol whos paying them the most money
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-16-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
First of all I have no dog in this hunt since we no longer have a ski boat. What jumps out at me is the number of responses from CC owners based on units sold vs MC, Bu and SC. It appears that CC got about a 50% response where as the others got about 30's% response rate...That in in it self will skew the numbers....Second, because of CC stronger response rate, you have to assume more loyalty which means less negativity...The higher response rate will dilute the negative responses...As for as engine reliabilty.....How does an Inmar engine receive the ratings that are so drastic....Simply put.....who cares another meaningless reward(oops award)....We own a Cobalt now, they rank tops in class by JD Powers.....I can tell you the award had NOTHING to do with our buying decision.....Just like with the previous 4 MC's we owned.

(Message edited by prostar205v on February 16, 2007)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
I always love the yearly JD Power thread and the excuses and complaints after.

This is what it is, doesn’t change. It is a feather in the cap of who wins. I don’t remember who won last year, but it was not CC. I posted on that thread close to the same response as here….and I believe congratulated Malibu???? I do not think they paid for the award, nor do I think there was some hidden agenda. They won related to the responses of those that received, filled out and returned surveys. That is how it works…. Done deal…..there is not a magic bullet.

Does someone really think that CC paid more money in ’04…or whatever…then decided to take a year off, then paid again this year….bla..bla..bla…..

I agree with the barefooter….I didn’t purchase my Cobalt because they always lead the JD for I/O’s…..and I didn’t purchase my SAN because CC had it that year(not 100% sure they did the year prior to my purchase)…. But the fact is, it is a good marketing tool and there are people who take stock in it. So congrats to CC for getting the award this year, a job well done!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
E.J. I have yet to see a JD Power award that CC didn't win.(for ski boats that is) And to tell you the truth, when you look at the ratings for some of the boats it just doesn't make sense.

(Message edited by ldr on February 16, 2007)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I am almost 100% sure that they didn't win last year....or the year before??? Found the '06 thread and I cannot pull up the JD link, but looks like CC won by my response....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/287170.html

Is there somewhere that lists the winners year to year? I was almost sure that CC did not win recently....maybe 2 years ago???? Who knows, maybe I am thinking of another award that Malibu won......seems like they win Powerboat Mag boat of the year every year and maybe someone posted that. Regardless, I stand by my comments.... A win is a win, it is a good thing and can be used to market your product....regardless if that is JD Power or Powerboat Mag.....
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-16-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I knew my boat sucked, okay next time I will buy a CC.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wow MC needs to tighten up. Looks like the only one that got better was BU. CC even dropped a few dots compared to last year.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-16-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
anybody can make any numbers look the way they want. don't believe the hype!!

I believe if you want actual truth just ask on WW because those of us my have somw owners binders but we are very informed and honest about our boats and more than willing to share the knowledge!

(Man you Supra owners got thrown under the BIG YELLOW BUS!) I don't own a Supra but I also know they aren't as bad as JD says, I am sure the Supra owners would agree with me.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-16-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
kenny, i just laugh at the report. i have owned both a supra and moomba and never have had any problems with the boat, the dealership or skier's choice.
Old    stillstandin            02-16-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
JD power award is a joke, doesnt mean anything to me when looking for a boat/car etc.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-16-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
E.J., from the JD power press release

Ski/wakeboard segment
Correct Craft ranks highest in the ski/wakeboard segment. Correct Craft, which has ranked highest in the ski/wakeboard segment each of the five years since the segment was added to the study, leads the segment in engine, ride and handling, sound system, and maintenance, and performs particularly well in sales satisfaction.

(Message edited by MHayes on February 16, 2007)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
EXCELLENT.....CONSISTENCY!!

It is apparent that the rest of the pack has some catching up to do……

Come on Kenny....half the time you have people on here giving opinions on boats they have never been on, let alone on the water in....rode behind. Case in point, the ever elusive production Epic. 4-6 month ago you would have thought that Christ was building Epics and everyone from WW/WB had been taking pulls behind it with God as their third.

Wow...that was a bit inflammatory.....
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-16-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
...though accurate. Haha.
Old    stillstandin            02-16-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
I have spend plenty of time on CC's. Listining to JD power and Associates is like listening to the movie critics about what move to got see. Usually, it is the ones they say are crap, are the best movies, and the ones they love arenty worth seeing.
Old    stillstandin            02-16-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
typing a little to fast, that would be aren't, not arenty:-)
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-16-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   

This is what it really is..........

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by kenteck on February 16, 2007)
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-16-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Kinda funny to see that Malibu did so good and they did'nt even pay to be in the voting. Plus there is the recent number that just came out and Mastercraft and Correct Craft both went down.. the whole JD thing is a joke. My 2 cents
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-16-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
I always laugh at the JD power awards.

CC pays them a lot of money to advertise the awards. I know Skiers Choice gives them no money as well as MC. It shows on the ratings. Not sure about Malibu, it looks like they're giving them some good dough though....

Malibu MC Supra and Moomba all use Indmar do they not? How can one be better than the other? BS

I also have to laugh at the design and style? WTF is that? That's quite the rating, not sure how they come up with Supra having less style and design as the other boats.

ride and handling as well. has anyone compared an ssv to how say a VLX or SAN 210 handles? SSV runs circles around them. I will give them that the 21v is a pig. but come on. 5 stars for CC and BU vs 2? that's the funniest thing I've ever seen. BS
Old    K.B.C.            02-16-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
Paul, why would you give anyone any money to use their system that ranked you below first. "Hey, potential customer X....look at what JD is saying, they rank us X# overall, right behind Correct Craft."

Correct Craft pays to use the final results....and I am sure that ANY other company would do the same if they were first.

I am not saying that the results mean that CC make a better boat than Skiers Choice or Malibu...or Aztec, hopefully people can figure things like this out without the help of JD Power. But they took surveys, from some of the people who bought the boats and this is what they ended up with....

Obviously it means something or people wouldn't even click on this thread....or check to see where they ended up.....or the fact that JD Power stays in business.....
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I think JD Power and Walt Meloon go to the same synagogue together.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
wake (buguru)

It is not voting, it is results from surveys filled out by owners.

For the record, I am under the understanding that NOBODY pays to be in the survey or everyone does. But why would Malibu be put in and say, Tige kept out if both were not paying??? I will assume that the surveys go out, results come back....and then if you want to use the results in your advertising, you pay.

THAT IS AN ASSUMPTION and could be in no way correct.

Someone/anyone, please correct me if I am wrong....more knowledge the better as far as I am concerned.
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-16-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Does JD Power Awards speak to the overall quality that is produced by ski and wakeboard boat manufacturers?

The number ratings for ski/wakeboard boats range from 853 – 903 out of a possible 1000 points. If you compare these numerical ratings to the small and large I/O segment the ski and wakeboard boats would rate at the top of both segments. In fact Moomba's rating of 853 would have placed them 1st in the small runabout segment and 3rd in the large runabout segment (behind Cobalt and Regal).

I am not a fan of the 5 bubble approach for segments where all boats are rated similar (either all good or all bad). It makes minimum difference ratings appear like large gaps. For example if they showed all ski and wake boats on an elementary grade scale all manufacturers for Ski and wake boats would have received either a B+, B, or B-. Not quite the same impact as 5 stars vs. 2 stars.

Congratulations to Correct Craft on receiving the award for 2007.
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-16-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
Good points Brian, too bad I canceled my order after seeing this report
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-16-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
02, If that is the new boat in your profile congrats. Looks great
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-16-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Thanks! It is indeed, should be bringing it home in the next week or two and I can't wait.

Now, we just need to get all this white junk off the ground here!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-16-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
I always hear a lot on the JD Power ratings along the lines of "well, I guess that CC paid the most money, so they won".

this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but I used to work for a technology analyst firm that advised clients on what kind of technology to buy. We worked with clients, but vendors also paid us to get guidance on how to position their products to their clients. I was the sales rep for two of our biggest vendor clients, between the two of them, they paid us well over $1 million.

Now, you would think we would write and say only good things about them. Not true. If our customers thought that we only said good things about those who paid us the most, they wouldn't listen to us. In essence, we seperated the sides of the business, and those employees of our company who recommended solutions had no idea how much those technology providers paid us.

Believe me, those companies were often unhappy about what we wrote about them and knew that the money they spent with us had no bearing on what we wrote.

Like I said, not an exact comparison, but just remember this...if JD Power only wrote good things about those that paid them the most, no one would listen, and they'd likely be out of business. they know that, and thus have to be as objective as possible...
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-17-2007, 3:50 AM Reply   
yea funny thing is when i looked at the study for run abouts the crownline engine which is the same as the volvo in the larson, glastron, and fourwinns ranked higher. LOL funny. I think the perception of the testers is a bit flawed
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-17-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
Maybe i should trade my supra for a bayliner. I know many on here won't believe this but i was offered a loaded 236 for the same price as my gg and i choose my gg. I had a buddy working for a dealer desperate for a sale but i just could not take the cc over my supra, take it for what it is worth, "very little". This was not because the cc was not a good boat, I just have had great luck w/ my supras and I like their styling.

(Message edited by supra24ssv on February 17, 2007)

(Message edited by supra24ssv on February 17, 2007)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
rick ator (mkperceptions) ....AGAIN, it is not JD Power testers, but owners that respond to surveys. So if the owner of the Glastron does not rank his engine high and the owner of the Crownline does.... There you go.

From the JD Power website... The 2007 Boat Competitive Information Study is based on responses from 12,140 owners who registered a new boat between June 2005 and May 2006.

There are reasons for the differences in engine ratings; a glaring one is the lower end boat companies throw in engines that are under powered for the boat. SAME ENGINE manufacturer, but it would affect the rankings. Another, just because the badge in the engine is the same, it does not mean that everything under the hatch is the same, which is what is being rated by customers as the engine.

supra for me (supra24ssv) Perfect! Cost is only ONE of MANY factors potential owners must look at before handing over a check. Being the highest priced does not automatically make a boat the best boat. Nor does a badge on the side automatically make a boat a better fit for each potential owner. I would roll my eyes at anyone who purchased a boat just because it was X brand, all the while, preferring something else.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-17-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
You have to pay about 250-300k a year to use a pic of JDs award in your advertising. So that means CC has dished out over 1 million over the last 4 years.
WOW!!! Just to use the award in a ad.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-17-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
yea funny thing is when i looked at the study for run abouts the crownline engine which is the same as the volvo in the larson, glastron, and fourwinns ranked higher. LOL funny. I think the perception of the testers is a bit flawed
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Rick....did you just hiccup 6.5 hours later....

EDIT for timeframe mistake....

(Message edited by Deuce on February 17, 2007)