Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old    jbpetty6203            05-18-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
So heres my problem whenever i try and turn my system up very loud the amps will momentarily cut off and back on boat idling running dosent matter. Heres my system pioneer head unit kicker 450.2 pushing kicker kmt6s and then i have a jl 500/1 pushing jl 10w6. I ran 1/0 power and ground to stinger distribution blocks and have them hooked up to a optima red top through a 2 battery perko switch. Im thinkn my battery isnt getting charged like it should be and the amps safety circuit are turning off the amps till the voltage comes back up. I was gona go get one of the marine charges and start chargm both batteries, thats wat i think it is if anyone can help me at all please do with this weekend coming up i want my stuff sounding awesome..
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-18-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
low voltage. you need more batt's and a bigger alt. Red top is not the best batt for that application either. U need a deep cycle battery.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
We had the same problem, ours still cuts out at around 29-31 but we turned all the levels on the amp up and we can here the system when we ride fine. We have a 550watt running off one batt and running 6 speakers a 10" sub and 2 tower speakers
Old    jbpetty6203            05-18-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
So get a deep cycle to replace red top or get a marine charger to charge batt wen boat is parked??
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Joseph,

Are both amplifiers shutting on and off simultaneously while the source unit remains on? I'm a little surprised that the voltage threshold is identical for two dissimilar amplifiers.

I thought a Red Top is specifically a starting battery. You may want to remedy this with a deep cycle replacement. Deep cycling a Red Top can significantly lower its ability to accept a charge and shorten its useable lifespan.

And yes, you should have a dual-bank, minimum 10 amp smart charger. Failure to fully recharge a battery will cause a premature reduction in capacity.

David
Earmark Marine
Old    jbpetty6203            05-18-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Thats one thing i considered because i have both amp remote wires wired into two of the boats acc switches one for tower amp and the other for the sub. On the lake yesterday i wired the sub remote wire to the head unit remote output and at high volume the amp still would turn off then back on for a moment. So im pretty sure its not a low voltage coming from the boat acc switches. I also have a question about the perko switches whenever selected it should be charging the battery thats selected when the boatis running? Correct? And if both batteries are selected it will charge both? Ultimately im gona pick up a deep cycle and a battery charger. Anyone have recommendation? Im tryin to get a battery for less than $100...