Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
Just picked this up: 03 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab, 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel, 5 speed manual trans with 56k on it. It has an Edge Perfromance chip, custom exhaust with cat removed and Magnaflow muffler and an Air Raid air intake. Fully loaded for 23.5 Some might ask, why a manual trans? Well, I don't mind shifting, they get better mileage, last longer, easier to maintain, and the automatics are not nearly as bulletproof. This is my first diesel so I hope I made the right decision. I sure like the 30+ cent a gallon difference in fuel cost, and am hoping to gain in fuel economy as well.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Looks nice, I like the way a Cummins sounds through an aftermarket exhaust, or any diesel for that matter.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-05-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Have a Cummins myself, an automatic because I mind shifting. This is my first diesel as well but to this point I love it. You should see mileage of 14-16 in town and about 20 +/- on the fwy depending on how much of a lead foot you have.

Keep up on the maintenance and you should be fine and make sure you get all the maintenance records from the seller. If there is ever a warranty issue the service dept at your local dealer may want to see the records verifying proper maintenance.

Welcome to the diesel world. You will have a great summer pulling your boat with the Dodge.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-06-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Towed today for the first time with it and it used nine gallons for the round trip that the gas truck would use fifteen...wow. Between less fuel used and the price difference per gallon, I saved twenty two bucks for one trip. Four trips a month equals eighty eight bucks.
Old    mendo247            05-07-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
NICE RIG SPARKY! good choice on the manual trans, kid here at work has one and its really nice.. as closely as you inspect things im sure its in perfect condition! youll enjoy it
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-07-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
Thanks coop. Yeah I knew that the automatics were the only weak link on these trucks. Don't know a whole lot about diesels mechanicaly, so I took it to Lithia Dodge and had them go over the whole truck. They gave it a clean bill of health. My only concern was that it had been chipped. The tech said most of the trucks out there, after warranty runs out have the same performance parts added as this one. After getting beat up on the last truck, I'm hoping my luck takes a turn for the better with this one.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
The 48r auto is a heck of a lot better than the original but the manual with the 410 rear is a bullet proof brute.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
cliff.... WITH a SBC clutch not stock
Old    walt            05-08-2007, 5:44 AM Reply   
Nice looking rig Sparky.