Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-31-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Right now we have a CWB tsunami but I want something smaller and looser. I am 5'9 and 140 pounds. I like the phase 5s but wanted some opinions. Maybe the icon but that's the only one I know of.
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-31-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
the walzer alpha twin 1" thick size medium is a fast loose skim/surf board that is super fun. lakeeffectsupply.com has them or contact walzer.
Old     (ianhedburg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
I would call up Larry Mann W/ Trickboardz. You can get one of his Surf Skates for $160 right now. They just started making their boards out of fiberglass. I have one of his old ones made from wood and I just recently purchased the fiber board. Since I made the switch I have been able to do 360's and I almost rode a shuv-it away. Go to www.trickboardz.com
Old    surfdad            09-01-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hey Air,

I guess I'm confused. The Tsunami came in two different lengths depending upon the year of manufacture, a 4'9" and 4'11" I believe. The surf skate would definately be smaller, but the Walzer medium is going to be 4'4.5". The Icon is 4'2".

What were you looking for, specifically. You can get loose by removing or triming fins, what did you want to achieve with the shorter length?
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Easier 360s and less nose diving. I have took out some of the fins and it is looser but I have a hard time keeping the nose up. The tsunami I have has a carp on the bottom(i think thats what it is). We bought it in like 05.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-10-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
the cwb surf board sucks, its not gonna do you any favors in the learning department. the inland surfer 4skim is a rad board, fast and loose and really smooth!
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-11-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Air Ren -

If you like the Phase5's, you should explore them. The two I'd recommend for you are the icon and the Drew (small).

Icon: 50" x 20" x 3/4"
Drew (sm): 51" x 20-1/4" x 3/4"

As Corey mentioned the Walzer Alphas, 3/4" or 1"

Alpha (xsm): 50" x 18.75"
Alpha (sm): 51.5" x 19.75"
Alpha (m): 52.5" x 20.25"

All the boards above spin with ease, to be clear, it's real easy, they are all very short and it's cake to keep the nose out on any of them.

Trickboardz, the new glass ones I cannot speak to, I've held them and checked them out but never put my feet on them. I think at $160, it's hard to go wrong for the experiment.
Old    surfdad            09-11-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
I forgot all about this thread!

Nice summary Loc. I'm still a bit confused by Air's request. A surface 3 is about technique, not particularly about board size (under 5'6") or fin depth. If you aren't landing them, it's not about the board, it's about how you're doing it.

I'm also having trouble reconciling that with the "nose diving". Are you pearlig trying to keep up with the boat? At 140 pounds, that shouldn't be an issue. Or are you burying the nose as you come OUT of the 3, as if you're leaning forward?

What does your wake look like Air? Large? How fast are you riding? 10'ish?

I don't think this is a board swap issue, IMO.
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-11-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
I think it's the following:

"OUT of the 3, as if you're leaning forward?"

Which I agree 100% is technique and not the board. However, getting a smaller, thinner board may help you correct your form by being less likely to bury the nose just on the fact that there is not that much board. But if you're heavy on your front foot in your 3's, doesn't really matter what board you are on.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-11-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
i find that the board will have a little to do with 360s, boards like the phase 5 and walzers have a sharp edge and i find are a little harder to not dig the edge on a 360 but it just takes a few tries to figure it out