Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2011, 10:46 PM Reply   
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...260900998.html

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=26434

http://www.wakeboatdepot.com/46-for-...-/details.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...260618297.html

How much less wake will this put out? http://www.dfwboats.com/site_page_25...m_price_1.html
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 11:04 PM Reply   
stay away from the last one. a lot less wake.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-15-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
No brainer, the boat on only inboards. Check the stringers for rot.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-16-2011, 4:57 AM Reply   
The only one I would rule out is the first one (lime green one) and the last one if you truly want an inboard.

The rest of them, you need to get beyond the photos and really check them out in person. Thats the only way you can make a good decision.

Yes any of these model boats can have stringer issues, thats why you cant pick one based on photos.

Edit : didnt see the very last one.

Going only off the adds, I'de be going to look at the 85 SN2001. The other two nautiques are priced a little high, at least in my area they would be.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-16-2011, 5:28 AM Reply   
I didnt see that listing at the bottom, disregard my comments about the last boat. I meant the 85 is the one I would look at first.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2011, 5:32 AM Reply   
You are certainly looking at the Correct brand of boat . In 1992 CC went from wood stringers to all fiberglass construction. Nothing wrong with the wood unless its rotted. Even a small soft spot in the floor usually means a complete stringer and floor rebuild.
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
Are you completely set on the nautique 2001. There are a lot more viable wakeboats out there that will give you more room for less money. Don't get me wrong, rode behind a 2001 and the wake is sweet but it's more than a little cramped with 4 people and associated gear + ballast. You could find an open bow supra(check for rot) 21 that would fit a lot more people and has plenty of room for ballast. I just sold mine.

I would take a hard look at this sport nautique
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=25953

This echelon if you are willing to travel a bit.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27813

Getting above your budget but on a good day might still be able to get this for 12,500 and is one of the best wakeboats ever built, became the xstar and it's a 93 so all of the wood should be gone.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27599

If you went slightly higher with price you could eliminate a lot of problems.

My dad didn't buy me a boat either, started out on a 17' smokercraft ultima, bought my supra sunsport mid way through college. just sold that this year and have a new to me 05 vlx just itching to be used for the first time. Also, remember that you won't really be losing money on these. They tend to bottom out depreciate very slowly after a while. Mine was a 92 and I sold it for the exact amount that I bought it for 5 years prior.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
Started the same way - with a
89' ski eliminator --> 94' Hydrodyne Legacy (AWESOME BOAT FOR THE MONEY - look into these) --> 95' Supersport Nautique --> ??

We sold our 94' Hydrodyne for like $7500 with a rebuilt motor - tower (racks/mirror/speakers) - 1800lbs auto ballast - full audio system - prop - everything you would need/want ..... the wake on this boat was aweeeeesome
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-16-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Some of those seem priced a bit high for a SN2001. Have a look at older Supras. I started my long boat search looking mainly at SN2001's, since they were cheap and throw a decent wake. I really wanted an open bow though. Supra fits the bill with the Sunsport and Saltare, Mariah is also good but has less freeboard. FWIW I ended up with a Saltare that had the floors and stringers replaced in 2007, along with the 454 rebuilt. I got it for less than a lot of the SN2001 I was looking at.

Along my search I also saw some Sport Nautiques and Prostar 205 in my price range, that were priced to sell. They sold quick before I could get to them due to distance. The good deals are out there, you just need to have cash in hand and be ready to jump on them.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-16-2011, 6:19 AM Reply   
Did anyone on this forum get a boat from their dad? I know I didn't.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-16-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
You must be in Minneapolis - where are you riding?
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-16-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
first off i LOVE the title man. this is so common in this sport. rich kids. 18-22 year olds with $65k boats.

my first boat was a 82 SN2001. loved it. great wake. i paid 5k for it. had a monster tower and a bunch of misc stuff with it.
we put a 250 sack either side of the dog house and it was money. a pair of 400s gets pretty sick.

check those floors and stringers! bring a cresent wrench and make sure you can tighted the motor bolts. and check the floor in front of the motor box. its usually the worse.

edit: yikes! there puting 1500 lbs in those tiny SN2001 be VERY carefull while driving . there so easy to submarine. and with that much weight youll need to have a very skilled and alert driver.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 03-16-2011 at 7:28 AM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-16-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
I don't know any 18-22 year olds with $65k boats. I know a lot of 30+ year olds with $55-70k boats who have worked their butts off and now are able to buy a few nice things. I must be living in the wrong area of the country.
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
SN2001 is the way to go if you run a small crew with lots of wake for pure wakeboarding!

I bought it when I was 20. I am 23 now and looking for a SAN due to space in my boat only. My buddy has an 01 X-star and we dont have that many people to ride with in my area.

I can vouch that we always run 1400lb of fly high bags with atleast 3-4 big guys in the boat and not once have I ever dunked the boat.

One day we had 8 people in my boat (Yes 8 people) and all the ballast full and the wake was the funnest wake I have ever rode, pure vert!

good luck with your decision
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-16-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansgt View Post

Getting above your budget but on a good day might still be able to get this for 12,500 and is one of the best wakeboats ever built, became the xstar and it's a 93 so all of the wood should be gone.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27599

A buddy and I bought 1997 Pro Star 205 (DD) in 2000. It was a great boat with a great wake with about 900lbs in it. We did not have one issue with it (other than general maintenance) over the 3 summers we owned it. The boat has the Corvette engine in it.
Old     (LiquidForce7D)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
Ian Brown and Chattwake come to NY waters youll see lots of kids whove been handed 65k+ boats....

My first one was a 2000 Tige 21i. just sold it recently didnt take that bad of a hit with all the upgrades I made to it. Had a lot of fun times on this boat sad to see her go but hopefully some day ill be able to afford a newer wake boat...and the 5.00+ gas to fuel it!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-16-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think that post meant more that the parents bought the boat because the kids want to wakeboard or use it more then their parents. Let's read in to everything a bit more
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
I don't really know much about boats my dad picked mine out
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-16-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'd go with that red 2001 or the blue sport. you got the right idea. you may find a super sport close to your budget if you don't mind working on it a little.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-16-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
I am almost positive I saw that lime nauti for sale last year as well... looks like hes having a tough time selling if thats the case... might be reason to stay away.

My first and current rig is a 1997 malibu sunsetter, might be able to find one in that same price range and get a lot more space, open bow, better engine (mine is MPFI), and all fiberglass depending on the year. Easily handles 2k lbs of ballast. Keep in mind that the 2001 is gonna be a pretty "core" wake machine, not much room in it. If thats any concern.

Your more than welcome to come out for a set once the ice is off, as it looks like ur in the MN metro area.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Started the same way - with a
89' ski eliminator --> 94' Hydrodyne Legacy (AWESOME BOAT FOR THE MONEY - look into these) --> 95' Supersport Nautique --> ??

We sold our 94' Hydrodyne for like $7500 with a rebuilt motor - tower (racks/mirror/speakers) - 1800lbs auto ballast - full audio system - prop - everything you would need/want ..... the wake on this boat was aweeeeesome
[I found this one but maybe the SS might be a better bargain.URL="http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/2215644171.html"]http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/2215644171.html[/URL]
Old    mojo            03-16-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Well bc of your thread title I'd say ha. Just buy the boat with the best wake history you can afford. I'd save more and find a 93 model with no wood stringers. If you wait you can find a great deal. Also, winter is the time for buyers and summer is sellers delight.

Last edited by mojo; 03-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
What year on this chart would each boat have changed to non-wood stringers

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=59748

Also, is this a good deal?http://www.the2001.com/index.php?nam...&p=13593#13593
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-16-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
Those top two have both been on the market for quite a while now. I'm sure you could talk the price down on them.

Why are people ruling out the lime green one?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
when it comes to fuel usage, would a DD or VD be more efficient considering the DD will need more weight.
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-16-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
I would also recommend looking at the older Supras. In my opinion, they are the most boat for the buck in that price range. (which is why i bought one) Love my 91 Sunsport
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-16-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
What year on this chart would each boat have changed to non-wood stringers
I have a list written down but have to find it. I will run it off memory...

Correct Craft: 1993
Mastercraft 198? (I want to say 1984 but not 100% on that, may be a few years later)
Malibu: 1994 (Echelon) 1995 (all models)
Supra: 1992 There was a time both were being built, all round glass boats are composite stringers, most square glass are wood (but a rare handful have been found to have composite)
Tige: Early 2000's

Note when looking at boats you will find a steep increase in price for boats with composite stringers. A stringer+floor job can cost $2000-$6000 depending on how much you do yourself. just be sure to check stringers on whatever boat you get. If you can snug up the motor/trans mount bolts and they either don't turn or quickly bite then you're usually fine. Don't crank real tight on them because they're only lag bolts into wood and if you try hard enough you'll strip out even solid and dry wood. Also look around along the length of the stringers and in the bilge for delamination of the fiberglass.

Last edited by cadunkle; 03-16-2011 at 5:11 PM.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I don't really know much about boats my dad picked mine out
OMG that's funny right there! Good one, Hate!

I have met a few kids that tell me, "My dad didn't buy this boat I DID!!". And yet they have no job, are in college, staying at Dad's lake home, but since they wrote the check, dad didn't buy it!!! OK, daddy funded your account to buy your own boat, congrats, you should be so proud.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-18-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
I was 26 when I bought my first boat. 2002 vlx, and worked my a$$ off. My buddy was 25 when he got his first boat, 2002 wkstr lsv, parents wrote the check. People didn't understand how I did it then. I really don't understand how most do it now. Would've been nice not to have payments, but definitely appreciated a lot more I think.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-18-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
Note for above, would have been nice NOT to have payments
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-18-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
John I get a kick out of kids with that mentality. They justify it thinking they bought it, or they earned it, or whatever they want to call it. Truth is they didn't earn that boat, or truck, or whatever it may be. I thought the kid in the other thread was a riot, how he kept going on about how he "worked hard to earn the truck" and that nonsense. He was given a truck by daddy. Good for him and others like him who are fortunate enough to have things handed to them. The thing that gets me is when they try to tell everyone they earned it and such.

I have a few toys and I've earned them all. I worked hard to earn the money to buy them and learning to build engines, transmissions, axles, etc. to do upgrades and make then run like new. I worked hard learning to weld and do body work so my toys can look like new. When you look at a nicely done classic car you know someone put a lot of time, money, sweat and blood into it.

When I got my boat I had a tight budget. I shopped for a long time before finding the right deal that could get me the most for my money. Yeah I didn't have to restore it and it only needed some minor things but it's mine and I actually did work hard for it. I couldn't be happier with my Supra. It does everything I want from it and it'll probably be a long time before I'm in the market for another boat.

Years ago some punk girl driving daddy's BMW SUV backed into me at a stop sign, just threw it in reverse and floored it. I was driving my '68 Ford which just a few weeks prior I had repaired the damage from hitting a deer. The damage from the BMW was similar, mangled rad support, fender, hood, and all the parts I had just replaced and repaired. I kept my cool until she said started with excuses about just coming back from 6 months vacation in Europe and not driving, then offered to pay for it and wanted to write me a check for $30 for a new turn signal lens. There was thousands worth of damage, and never mind the fact that the turn signal lens she mentioned actually cost $120 or more, if you were lucky enough to find one. I settled this one out of court and without insurance being involved, her lawyer daddy wrote me a check for a few thousand to cover the damages.

Another time at cruise night some punk driving a 2000-something Mustang daddy bought him backed into a spot with his door wide open and foot hanging out. Not paying attention he slammed his door into a guys Mopar which was recently restored and he was trying to sell for $25k (ballpark).There was a fair amount of damage to some hard to find parts. The kid froze for a second shut his door and went to peel wheels out of there. Fortunately I was close and saw it, so I jumped on the hood, he stopped, and the police were called. He went off in typical rich kid fashion about how his rich dad had connections and such. We tracked down the guy that owned the car and he was very grateful for it.

That sums up some of my experiences with these rich kids. They don't understand the value of things and probably haven't had to work a day in their life. Just a bad attitude in general.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-18-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
Boating is expensive. You won't find to many young people out enjoying themselves on the water without some assistance from their parents. Whats important is to just have fun and not hate on other people because they had the benefit of having parents that did well for themselves.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-18-2011, 10:18 PM Reply   
It’s not hating because these kids had assistance, the “hating” is these kids mentality. This feeling of entitlement that they earned these things. Honestly, I hope I can afford to buy my son whatever he wants, what parent doesn’t want that for their kid, but I promise you this, if my kid has a crappy attitude toward others, and doesn’t respect the things he has or other people things, he’ll go without a lot. I will not be one of these parents who call the school because he got a bad grade and blame the teacher, he’ll be grounded. Quit making excuses for your kids and teach them responsibility. Obviously we’ve gotten way off target on this thread, but……..