Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    franks21            02-16-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
I am new to wakeboarding but want to get into it this summer(my dad just bought a house on a lake in PA) but dont really know that much about it. Any recomendations on boards or what to look for. Im like 6'2" and about 190-200lbs. I snowboard if that helps but i am a beginer and dont want to spend a huge amount... any sugestions would be great. thanks
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2004, 10:31 PM Reply   
Hi Nick, Welcome to wakeboarding.
As far as a board, I'd suggest staying around the 139-142cm area for the length of the board.
Do you have a local board shop? If so I'd suggest buying from them, they'll more than likely do you a deal on a whole setup.
See what brands they sell.
Don't forget a life vest, and rope/handle combo.
Maybe have a look at the Hperlite Motive with Split bindings.
Old    franks21            02-17-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply. How important is the rope/handle. I used to waterski and still have some decent ropes from that. Any suggestions on rope/handle. Thanks for the sugestion about the board im going to look into it. Any other pointer you can give me as a beginner just getting started. Thanks again
Old    walt            02-17-2004, 6:18 PM Reply   
Hi Nick
You dont want to use your ski rope because it will stretch and thats not a good thing when your Wakeboarding. Find a rope made out of Spectra like the Accurate "Jacket" Wakeboard Rope.Take a look on E-bay and you might find a deal.
Old     (seedickride)      Join Date: Jan 2001       02-17-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
Nick- I'd recommend at least getting a low stretch wakeboard rope, if not a non-stretch rope. Ski ropes stretch, so when you cut, the rope lengthens, and then pulls back when you leave the wake, which can throw you off balance. I agree with kristian about the board size. To narrow it down a bit more, you'll need to decide what style of ride you want your board to have. Do you want a board with a lot of tracking ability, or one that rides more loosely, and requires stronger edging for control (similar to snowboarding)? For beginners, I typically recommend a board with a continuous rocker vs. a 3 stage, basically because it's easier to time your pop off the wake. But, the 3 stage rocker develops bigger pop without as much speed to the wake. It's also harder to get the pop just right with a 3 stage rocker board if you're dealing with a pretty small wake. Do you need bindings that will work for multiple foot sizes, or more just for you? If you do have multiple foot sizes the bindings need to fit, what range of sizes will there be?

Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Old    franks21            02-17-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
thanks so much for the posts about the ropes.i will probably need bindings for multiple foot sizes but anywhere from like 10/11-13 are the sizes. Any recomendations on boards/bindings. What about the one the first person mentioned the hyperlite motive with the split bindings. Thanks.
Old    walt            02-17-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
My first board was a Motive 144 with splits and I quickly got bored with it. It is a easy board to ride but If I were you I would consider a board with a subtle three stage rocker and grow into that.
I think the XL splits will fit a 10 - 12 for a 13 you might need to buy XXl
Old    franks21            02-17-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
what would be an example of a board with a subtle three stage rocker. thanks
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-17-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Era and Premier, Liquid Force Litmus or Evo. They have subtle 3-stage rockers, you might want to look into those, but they will be more expensive. (the Evo will probably be the same price as the Motive) I said the motive, because I think its a great board, beginer or advanced.Its basic, cont' rocker with two small molded in fins on center removable fin, easy to learn on. Though some people like to go for big 3-stage rockers, to get more of that bucking pop, but I wouldn't suggest it if your starting out. The board I ride at the moment has a big 3-stage rocker, but I don't like it, I'll be moving back to something a little smoother, it all depends on your style.
The Jacket lines aren't cheap $80 for a rope. But there are combo's out there wich is just a low stretch line with a basic handle, its good to get you going for a while.
Old    banks            02-17-2004, 11:09 PM Reply   
Dude i've been riding for a while, and i got a parks 138 three stage took me a month to get used to it. if you are beging i strongly recommend a 2 stage. the 3 will scare you if you are new to it, it scared my girlfreind and a buddy of mine who's not that new to riding. 3 stage is deffinately for a more advanced rider. i love it now but it would have taken two years to learn how to ride one if i was just starting.
Old    ndboarder            02-18-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
I agree with b. I have a parks 133 and it took a while to get used to. I would get a board that you want to keep and ride for awhile. If you get a cheap board, I think you will get sick of it and wish you would have got a better board
Old    wakesideup            02-18-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
I would rec a used Belmont for starters. If you really like you can upgrade. I would stay away from Hperlite bindings...durability issues. I like the ratchets system in Nice bindings.

The less stretch in the rope the better...but it probably will not matter much in the beginning until you are getting some air. A no stretch is a must when you starting getting launched. Handle is all about comfort, personal preference and cost.

Where a comfortable vest.
Old    franks21            02-18-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
is it possible to mix different binding companies with different boards like a Liquid Force board and a CWB binding. Just theoretical but jw thanks
Old    banks            02-18-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
yeah
Old    franks21            02-18-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
how does what kind of stage you have affecthow high you go. What is a stage. I am new as you can see from these questions. I know that a 3 stage will get u really high but why. Is there a website that describes what each part of a board does what. Thanks again for helping me
Old    valhalla579            02-18-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
Check this out.... a lot of useful infor for beginners in here, and it explains about rockers, rails, rope types, and a lot about bindings

http://www.build4life.com/wakeboard.html

hope it helps you out
Old     (hobag)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 9:58 PM Reply   
Hey Nick,

First off you came to a good place to get some good advice every thing said is right on, I wish I would have known to come here when I was starting out.
To adress your question about stage of the rocker and highth try this, the rocker effects the pop by how the board flexes and rebounds when it hits the wake.

A continuous rocker is like the curve on a rocking chair, if you place a board on the ground, it will rock from tip to tail freely. When the board hits the wake the entire board flexes and rebonds together and rides up the wake more like a ramp sending you farther out.

A three stage rocker has a flat spot in the rocker line under your feet with a lift on each end. When the board hits the wake the front part of the rocker flexes and as it rebounds, the flat part of the rocker takes the force of the wake kicking you higher into the air.

Oh and don't be afaid of hyperlite bindings, the durability issues are minimal and the waranty at hyperlite is the best i've come in contact with.
Old    franks21            02-19-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
ok thanks for all of your advise. What do you think about the Liquid force Litmus and the Evo. Would either one of them be a good board for someone like me. This summer i will be at the lake for a long time and plan on going at least once a week. I have read the the CWB Zeus bindings are one of the best but for a price. Any other bindings that maybe wont be as exspensive but areabout as good. Would you suggest getting them. thanks to everyone you have all been really helpful.
Old     (seedickride)      Join Date: Jan 2001       02-20-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
I'd recommend the Litmus, myself. It's more aggressive than the Evo, and will do everything you'd ever want to learn. The Evo is a nice board, but may be a little loose for you in choppy water. You might want to take a look at the new Liquid Force Alphas. I really like the features you get for the price.

Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-20-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Hey Nick,

Whats up? Not real sure on your price range but hear are some boards that you can look at that would fit you. They are all Hyperlite boatrds;
Premier 141 - $380,
Motive 140 - $330,
Era 140 - $330,
Also the Liquid Force Substance 142 - $400.
For binding it depends on what kinda support you want on your ankle and what style you want.
For ropes i ride behind an Accurate and love it. Its a no stretch rope and makes a huge difference when changing from a stretchy ski rope. You can buy a handle rope combo for around a 100 bucks. Any more questions shoot me an email. Hope this helps.
Old    franks21            02-20-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
what would be some examples of style in a binding. Would you suggest something like the LF Alpha as apposed to the HL Split.
Old    valhalla579            02-21-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
I rode a pair of the '03 splits, and they were killer on my feet. They were my buddies, and were broken in already, but no matter what I did they never seemed to be comftorable. I've heard that the '04s are supposed to be more comfy, but IMHO the alpha's are tons better. I have a pair now and they are nothing short of amazing. They seem much less likely to rip or tear than the splits becuase of the material they use, and the alpha is the most comftorable binding i've ever ridden....
Old    franks21            02-21-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
thanks for the imput