Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (655mac)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-09-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
I was wondering if others with nice boats tied up to friends boats while on the lake? I've always tied up but I've never had a boat that I worried about putting scratchs on. Just wanted someone elses opinion, Thanks
Old    ag4ever            05-09-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
Yup, I am just careful and carry a lot of fenders to prevent banging. I am even thinking about getting the suction cup things I saw in overton's.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-10-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
All the time.

Fenders. Little fenders are okay if you are in protected waters (such as a 5 MPH zone) but if you are going to be in a place that could get a big wake (just like the one you throw!) then you need bigger fenders.

I use a 6" diameter fender when I tie up to the houseboat.

Oh, and better take the boards off the rack on the side you are tying against. if you are tying up to another wakeboard boat you might want to tie bow to stern so that the towers don't align. A good wake can cause the towers to crash together.

Old    caliwakeboarder            05-10-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
I just got the 15 inch round ones. I hate having to worry about my boat while trying to have a good time. Taylor Made makes them, they are white and black not the ugly orange ones. They keep the boats farther away than the regular fenders. Don't get the suction cup!!! They don't work!! When the boats rock it will pull them right off. Just my 2 cents
Old    ag4ever            05-10-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
ditto the suction cup thing. They are usless.

Now if you are talking the glass cup thing where you push the botton a few times to creat a strong vacume, I can't see how they would not work.
Old    cisom            05-12-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Use the biggest fender you can store on your boat. I have the 10" x 26" Taylors. Fenders are cheap, glass work is not.
Old    bryanls            05-12-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
I agree with the larger fenders, especially in busy areas. My friend had his boat tied up to the houseboat with a smaller fender or two. Along came some large wakes and started rocking the boats, the rear corner of his lodged under the edge of the houseboat and filled with water, then capsized. We had to tow it back to the ramp upside down and have a tow truck flip it over for us, and pump out the water. To top it off it was his birthday. The second image is our boat secured a little better.
-Bryan
Whoops
Other
Old    whitevlx            05-12-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Sure glad it wasn't the 'bu that went under. We tie our 'bu up all the time, we jst use lots of fenders.
Old    ag4ever            05-12-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
What kind of boat was it that "flipped".

That would sure have to be a bad birthday!
Old    bryanls            05-12-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
It was an outboard 17' aluminum fishing boat, along the lines of a starcraft.
-Bryan
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-12-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
Is that at Lake Billy Chinook/Round Butte?
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
A co-worker had the exact same thing happen to her family on the very first trip with their brand new boat (about 10 years ago).
They still own the boat, a 20' I/O, today.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-12-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Is there an online resource for those big Taylor Made fenders?
Old    bryanls            05-12-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
Face Planter,
That is correct, the bottom one is pretty close to the dam.
-Bryan
Old    cisom            05-13-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
Online for fenders try West Marine, Boat-US, Overtons, etc.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-13-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
what did you guys catch on the red fishing pole?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-15-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Suction Cups suck! I would not suggest them for anyone. Spend the money for pop up cleats, if you don't have them, and attach there. There's a reason 99.99% of boaters attach at the cleats, it's a sure guarantee! It's like trying to reinvent the wheel, just not worth it!
Old    wantboatnow            06-15-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
The biggest thing to remember if you have a tower and the boat next to you have a tower, to take the boards down unless you want then to hit. Over memorial weekend the boat next to me had boards in the racks and my rack kept hiting the board and trashed a brand new board.
Old    jnauti            06-16-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
try 'stowaway holdaway', you can but them at Overtons or from their own website.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
i started tieing up next to my buddys boat (he also has a tower) front to back after hearing this recommendation on hear, it leaves more room for the towers to clear

(Message edited by bob on June 16, 2004)