Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-12-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
On the freeway OK, but how can you possibly be in a bad mood when your in your boat, with friends, on the water?
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-12-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
My last post was a response to Gramps. That'll teach me to get sidetracked for 20 minutes before I post my response!
Old    steve_chavez            10-12-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
It still doesn't give you the right to board someone's boat
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2004, 4:45 PM Reply   
"Its the "driving eratically and almost causing a Accident" part that no one has talked about. We have all agreed that to throw blows over words is a No No, But what if someone almost drove over your boat or rider or used there boat to cause harm to you or your crew? Does this change or explain this type of behavior?

I have seen several people in this thread say that they would use violance or a weapon If they or there family is directley threated or in a self defence type situation."

Sounds like the above was the X-9's move not Geoff's.

But regardless, I think what people mean by self defense is in the moment of conflict. Not after the fact. Boat is in ramming mode and you have a rocket launcher, use rocket launcher to take them out. But if boat makes dangerous manuver "almost causes accident" but after you are safe, go to the closest patrol boat and report. Don't pull weapon or get into physical altercation over it.

That is like someone breaks into your house while you are there in the middle of the night. Put a cap in their skull. Someone breaks into your house while you are away, you don't hunt them down to put a cap in their skull. You call the authorities!!

Now someone boards your boat to do you harm, self defense justification kicks in!!! But please don't go around asking for it either!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
BTW I know from reading some of the threads on the Hotboat website that a lot of those guys do carry heat in their boats. A lot of them are even cops. So again this story could have turned out a lot differently. Don't think for a second someone with a gun in their boat would not use it if you jumped your a** in there. They are just waiting for the day to come when they can use it!!!
Old    akman            10-12-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
X-Star Mike, How can somebody be in a bad mood on the boat, with friends, on the water????

I can't answer that but I have seen it happen on numerous occasions.

Wakeboarding, music, nice water, nice looking girls, sunny day......what could be better in my opinion??
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-12-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
We're only 30 posts away from topping the 'show off your boat' thread in the other section and that bad boy took months to get that big.

(Message edited by stanfield on October 12, 2004)
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-12-2004, 6:00 PM Reply   
Still no where near, or as fun as the famous "Reef Girls" thread!!!!
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-12-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
Oh man this has gotten out of control. Bottom line, DON'T FIGHT! If you have a problem with someone on the lake, take it up with the Lake Patrol. I don't care what if anything Geoff said. NO WORDS warrants this type of behavior. Also I am tired of listening to this liberal jiberish. Stop coming up with excuses for these people. I don't care if they were having a bad day. WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-12-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
All these posts and still nobody has posted the story from the x-9 point of view or their rendition of the event. Not even the ever so defensive Pixie.

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-14-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
Andrew....

"Anything and everything you say can and will be used in a court of law."

I think it is very smart for them to keep "their side" of the story to themselves. I don't think they would gain anything by trying to sway some of the WakeWorld opinion.

E.J.
Old    grizzle            10-14-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'm sure the judge is an avid Wake Worlder , but I agree with you 100% about keeping the other side of the story to themselves. I was trying to understand both sides of the story 10 days ago, and after 30 minutes of catch-up reading... still nothing !
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-14-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
Just when we thought this thread was going away.
It almost went 2 full days.

DAMN YOU E.J. for bringing it back!!!!
Old    wake_101            10-14-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
Dude Geoff should not only press charges but track those guys down and ...well we won't say It could get really violent...I know thats not what wakeboardings about but something as ignorant and balant as that deserves a good beating as if he were a 5 year old caught saying @#$%.....
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-14-2004, 11:04 PM Reply   
THANK YOU E.J. for bringing it back. Think it was more like an hour for me. Wow, there's been some real mature, well thought out reasoning here. Many times I thought to myself that so and so did a better job explaining how I feel than I could. Guess it's the residual THC from high school.

1) Black X-9's just dropped their NADA value.

2) Salmon Tacos #4 - "animal bites human for no reason" scares me too, cuz you can be a good citizen and still get rolled.

3) Deltahoosier - clearly/artfully states that while you're entering an argument, you've got to be thinking it's gonna escalate. He didn't go into "escalates to where?" Today, maybe especially in the city, getting a bruised, swollen and oozing face is just plain gettin off easy. If the animals had been a little more level-headed and patient, they could have done worse without having to go to court.

Two nights ago at dinner, I had an expensive iced tea and my wife drove us and the brother-in-law home. I gave shotgun to brother-in-law. A Scion (hate to admit it was a Toyota that did this) agressively squeezed into the car space in front of us on the freeway. Wife stays up in his rear and even closes a little. Scion brake checks, wife flashes lights, Scion flips the bird, wife passes on left. Brother-in-law rolls down window and starts yelling at Scion, Scion yells back, brother-in-law spits, wife accelerates clear. Scion passes on right and hucks bottle at Sequoia, then merges over to his exit. I'm thinking, "wife/brother were asking for it, and people have gotten shot for less." We pass well clear and he's crouched back with the "you don't even know" look on his face, with a black semi-auto resting on his arm, pointing our way. As far as I'm concerned, we got off lucky - could've been patching holes. Or digging them.

I'm a wussy because I don't yell at people who cut me off. Or power turn or even throw insults. If (insert offensive event here) isn't worth getting rolled, cut or shot over, find a way out.

Even if I did wake up one day overdosed on testostizene and decided I was tired of avoiding conflict, it'd still be friggin selfish and stupid to let things escalate in this age. You just never know, and man, can you really protect your family and your stuff 24/7, 365 from an individual with an axe to grind? For how long?

I may live amongst animals, but I don't mess with them. Don't need to hide from them yet though, because Salmon Tacos' #4 still doesn't happen very often. I try not to offend poeple, admit when I'm wrong, try to keep conversations light, and above all, don't run with them.

Hey, I landed my first backroll yesterday ;-)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-15-2004, 6:38 AM Reply   
Congrats on the backroll.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
"Yelling at people is just as aggresive as punching someone in my book."

Fortunately your book isn't the law. If you physically attack someone, verbal abuse is not a defense point. You can be charged with felony assault if you do enough damage, and could be financially liable for more than just medical expenses incurred. While that might be ok if you are a low life with no money and no concern for your criminal record, it isn't the kind of position an otherwise responsible adult would want to put themself in.

You should leave justifying the uncontrolable pride issues to the trailer trash and Muslim extremists.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
"We pass well clear and he's crouched back with the "you don't even know" look on his face, with a black semi-auto resting on his arm, pointing our way."

Get tag number, call 911. When they pull him over and find the black semi-auto that's pretty good proof that he was using it to threaten you. Also tossing a bottle at your car is assault with a deadly missile and a felony of the second degree in Florida.

"I'm a wussy because I don't yell at people who cut me off"

That's not being a wussy, it's smart. There are lots of places in the US and world where getting you nose in front of the other car means that you have the priorty to merge into the lane. Ever been to NYC?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-15-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
Wonder if Geoff is gonna keep his new black X-9, or upgrade?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-15-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
Upgrade.
Although, Something tells me it's probably not registered in "Cous" name.
Maybe, the big pimpin' girlfriend, who definitely doesn't live in Cali, owns it.
Old    deltahoosier            10-15-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
John,

I think you suck that you would take a portion of of my post, misrepresent it and then use it to call me trailer trash. What a POS thing to do. Read the GD post again try to understand the message.
Old    deltahoosier            10-15-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
"Yelling at people is just as aggresive as punching someone in my book."

Fortunately your book isn't the law. If you physically attack someone, verbal abuse is not a defense point. You can be charged with felony assault if you do enough damage, and could be financially liable for more than just medical expenses incurred. While that might be ok if you are a low life with no money and no concern for your criminal record, it isn't the kind of position an otherwise responsible adult would want to put themself in.

A responsible adult will not put him/ her or their family and friends in a position to have to fight now would they. That is being agressive and is a equally dangerous. Just like the example above. If you are going to start getting agressive and yelling at people, you better be sure someone may just want to take it up a notch and maybe you should understand that and live accordingly. I have noticed, it is those with the false sense of I will just sue them if the they do anything, are the biggest A-holes I have ever met and are the most likely to do stupid stuff. If you are the type of person that would get agressive at someone and then hide behind the law, then I have no respect for you, period. I do not and have not looked for fights and I go out of my way to avoid them. Matter of fact I stay out of fights and trouble just because of my attitude.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-15-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Derek,

we had a similar thing happen years ago. Towing our boat to Silverwood Lake. There is a section of two lane straight away highway after you exit the 15. Well a pickup comes up on our tail. Then decides to pass on the left. At the same exact time there was a car broken down on the right shoulder and decides to open there street side door. Dad has to swerve to the left causing pickup to have to go into the emergency lane on the other side. Pickup has no clue of what happened on our side of the road and thinks we did it on purpose. He stays behind us and when we reached our turn off he speeds ahead and his passenger points a shotgun out the side window and fires it right above our head. Scared the heck out of us. We had a Van full of kids and women.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
Rod, I'm not going to cut and paste your whole post to represent you correctly. It's clear that you are arguing that a person is justified to respond with force to verbal abuse.

"I believe they are both violent and people have an honerable right to come back in either fashion"

That quote was taken from a post that clearly says if you verbally abuse someone that they have the right to respond with physical force. You equate verbal abuse and physical abuse. You are clearly wrong wrt the law. I think you are clearly wrong on that point anyway.

Of course you are right that if you engage in verbal abuse that you are potentially setting yourself up for physical abuse. However, you didn't point out that there are a lot of crazy morons and trailer trash who can't control themselves and you need to be careful. Instead you went at great lengths to justify their behaviour in responding this way and unequivocally stated that you think it's an honorable right to respond that way.

IMO, that sort of attitude is the belief of people who aren't in control of themselves, or someone who is simply ignorant. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were trailer trash. I was just making the point that people who resort to violence to save their pride fit into that catagory. In fact, the literal interpretation of that post was that you should "leave it to the trailer trash", which implies that you aren't.

"I have noticed, it is those with the false sense of I will just sue them if the they do anything"

I've never been in a situation where this sort of reasoning has ever come into play. I was just repeating a point of law that someone who engages in violence is setting themselves up for.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-15-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
John Anderson: forgot to mention the Scion didn't even have plates yet. Go figure.

John French: did your seat dry out okay? That sux, man.