Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-08-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
Ok, I will admit that I get bored easily. I have a Shred Stixx Thresher that is probably all the board that I need but I seem to always be looking for something new.

Anyway, I am 5'10" and 160-165 pounds. I ride behind an Enzo with a pretty good size wave. I like the surf style boards like my Thresher. I do have a Phase 5 DD Carbon that I ride as well but I find the the surfers more fun. I am still working on the stall 360 and getting more than just the fins out of the water on my airs.

Is the Comp 1 the way to go? How does it compare to the Walker, Flyboy, or others. Is there such a thing as a hybrid board? Surfs like the thresher but is not too stiff on the surface tricks?

Let me know what you think or have experienced.

Thanks in advance,
John
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
John, check out the Flyboy. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Frank's son chris recently picked one up and his airs have improved dramatically. the board has so much drive and is really poppy. and because it is a twinzer instead of a quad it can still be spun like nothing. james is getting 720s on the flyboy. so crazy.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
RJ's flyboy is on the way, can't wait.
Old    surfdad            07-08-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Mitch and Ragboy. Just so that it's perfectly clear, my son James owns FlyBoy Wakesurf, LLC and I own the note payable!

@ John: SS, TWP and FlyBoy are all fine boards. James rides like you, he always wanted to be able to do surface rotations, as well as, aerials. For James, the Twinzer fin pod, as Mitch points out, doesn't have the same sort of surface rotation limitations as fin pods with a wider spread from rail fins to trailers, without severely limiting drive as tends to happen with some twins.

James is in the process of detailing a how to do a surface 360 and after that he wants to do a tutorial on that stalled 360. That really is a cool trick.

This video shows James riding the FlyBoy and I think the second 3 is stalled a bit, plus the surface reverse.

This video is the 720 Mitch refers to.

A quick sequence of a nicely stalled 3. It's so fun to watch as the board slowly drifts back.
Attached Images

Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-08-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
I can't wait to pull the trigger on a Flyboy board myself. The IS Blue Lake will become the boat board! Its a great board, but like the OP, I am always looking for the next best thing.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-08-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
John, I'll sell you my TWP James Walker Pro board.........

so I can buy a new Flyboy
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-08-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
Ya, that Flyboy sounds great. So does it have two fins? Next time I am in the USA I think I am going to have to pick one up.

Maybe if my big buddies who are heel denting the piss out of my Thresher finally break it they can buy me one.
Old    surfdad            07-09-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
@ Dreamer

The Twinzer fin pod was created by Wil Jobson, his Twinzer shape also had a specific bottom contour and fin placement. The FlyBoy borrows heavily from Wil's fin placement, but it's not the same, mostly due to being behind a boat and not out in the ocean...but the design uses two deep rail fins and then two very small canards or leading fins...so four fins in total. The canards mostly overlapping the rail fins.

A few pictures so you can see the fins, below, and an article if you feel like reading up on it.
Attached Images

Old    mobster            07-09-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Old    surfdad            07-09-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
@ JL - I love the look of that board from Rock. Bernard is such an interesting guy, we met him in TN at the '08 WWSC.