Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
what style board is best for my situation. i ride behind a direct drive boat with an average wake so i want to have a board with alot of pop but also be easy to land... have heard 3 stage is pretty rough for landing wondering yalls opinion on them. was thinking byerly assault for my 3 stage choice. or murray or lyman for continuous. Let me know which board yall have riding and inputs on it. thanks
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
3-stage will give you more up pop and youll stay more wake to wake, thus landing softer. Continuous is more over and out into the flats. The CWB transcend is a subtle 3 stage and has very soft landings, its opposite is the board im riding which is the c-dub marius which has a tendancy to go into the flats, but has double center spines, which make for soft landings as well...not sure i that helped at all, but just my input. good luck finding a board that suits you!
Old    thebiggmann            08-18-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
I've ridden the Murray and the Lyman, and I ride behind a DD as well, and I will say Lyman hands down. The Lyman is a 3-Stage, but it's not a super aggressive 3-stage. The Murray is indeed a continuous, but it's Hybrid continuous. It looks like someone took and scooped out a part of the rocker, leaving a sort of flat spot in the middle. To me, I couldn't get close to the vertical pop with the Murray that I got on my Lyman,it seemed as if every jump went way out into the flats and I just couldn't go up. Also, I didn't think the landings were really softer either. Also, I found it a lot harder to pull out sketchy landings on the Murray, it seemed like I slid out way easier. The Lyman pops me huge for being behind a DD, and it only gets bigger every day as my edging improves and I add more weight. The Lyman is super fun to do surface stuff with as it's very loose when riding flat but locks in on edge. Very fast as well. I love it, and I don't see myself going away from it for a while. Any other questions lemme know.
Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
what about the byerly assault? anyone ridden this board and liked it? i was thinking this board because of the amount of pop the board will have i want to go up in the air not out into the flats and low. i think its between the lyman and the assault. will the lyman come close to the pop from the byerly? and how is the landings on the byerly are they soft and easy to rescue sketchy landings like the lyman is?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
I used to only ride 3-Stage boards until I tried the Slingshot Response. I get booted, higher, more consistent, and softer landing than anything i have ridden before. Don't know why, but I love it.
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       08-19-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
I second the comment about the Slingshot response, It did the same for me and I can't figure it out either.. But I'm sold on the board for sure...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-19-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Just got an IBEX and BAM huge POP landings are a bit rough hitting that huge flat spot. Have not ridden any of the flex boards yet. Heard hitting them flat they land hard but if you get the tail stuck nice and soft because of the flex.
Old     (steelesrt)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-19-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
I would say continuous for beginners on up. I'm still on a continuous board, the Hyperlite Marek, and I usually ride in Outlaw or mens 1 at all the tournaments that I go to. Some people like the big pop of the 3 stage, but it's so much more difficult to be consistent.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-19-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
I a huge fan of subtle 3 Stage, aggressive Continuous boards whatever the proper term is these days. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Continous boards will give you a smooth pop every single time and are very predictable. 3 stage boards will kick/buck you at the top and send you up. Like I said I would go with a hybrid rocker that incorporates both.

Love my Gator Prospect.
Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
when read on he byerly assault it says is a subtle 3 stage..... im thinking i am leaning more towards this board then the continuous lyman or murray. the assault seems to have some flew and subtle 3 stage so seems pretty all around. and i really want air not distance off my jumps. any good or bad reviews for the assault as my choice?
Old    thebiggmann            08-19-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Again, lyman is 3-stage. Idk what size you are but bbb has a 139 on sale right now. You won't be disappointed.
Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
im 6'2 190lbs is 139 to small?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
I used to ride 3-Stage boards because I felt that I needed the extra buck to get the air I wanted. However, after buying and riding the Covin (a continuous board) I came to find that due to the consistency of the pop, I felt more comfortable charging the wake with the understanding that I'd be going higher and farther, but that I wasn't going to get unpredictably thrown. I've progressed much more on continuous boards, the Covin and now the Viva than before. If you can edge with speed, I think Continuous boards are the way to go.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-19-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
+3 on slingshot response. I would try one if you can hough because it seems to be a love or hate kinda thing.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
Eric, 139 isn't too small, however you could go bigger with positive results.
Old     (richy_m)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-20-2009, 12:05 AM Reply   
dunno how many of you guys have seen the new ronix gear. Question about their boards, the mana says it has the most explosive pop, does this mean it wont be as quick as the other boards like the ONE? Also does any1 know how the bill rides? it says it is continuos, can u still expect decent pop out of it?

thanks n sorry for the hijak
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-24-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
What are peoples thoughts on the Marius. I just got an IBEX and yeah it pops big but the landings are still rough. Thinking of trying something else out. I have a Covin too that I am definitely selling.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
I went from riding 2 agressive 3 stage boards - the absolute and the transcend - to the Marius, and I love every minute of it. The thing is so darn wide if feels extremely stable on the water, lands soft, and it seriously pops like a 3 stage with the consistency of a continuous as it is. At first I rode a 34 foam core, but recently switched to the 40 platinum and am much happier with the bigger board.

Hope this helps some...
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-25-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
+4 on the response. Lands SOOO much softer than any board I have tried. I will agree with craig, I can understand the love it or hate it thing. It is really loose, and you HAVE to be able to hold your edge to cut, or it will slip right out from underneath you. It will help you develop better skills.

I demo'd 6 boards this summer (One,Marek, Murray, absolute, trip, in addition to SS) and I am glad I got the SS response.

It has booted me higher and farther. I am now landing out in the flats.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-25-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
The Lyman is an aggressive continuous rocker. Specs say 3 stage but check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zG-FDaeXGI.
If you look down the rocker line it's clear that this is not a 3 stage board.

I just switched from the Lyman to the new Shane and WOW! The Shane has a more abrupt pop and lands just as soft as the Lyman. Both boards are great but if you want more straight up pop, I would check out the Shane 142. Both land much softer then the Assault.