Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-03-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
I sent Mike some pics and an idea, and this is what I got back.
Mike is my hero.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-03-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Very nice! Thats a great looking board!
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-07-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
So I got the board but I wasn't able to ride it for a couple days. A little doubt started to creep in.
I was a little worried that it wasn't going to ride as good as it looks.
I'm not a board shape guru. I don't know what does what as far as shape goes.
I asked Mike for a Bullet that goes a little faster and will work for a little bigger rider than my previous bullet did.

Man, did he nail it. I think this board is a little wider than my other TWP boards(I have a 4'6" F18 and a 4'6" Bullet). It's still a 4'6".
It has more rocker, too.

I've ridden it now, and I'm not worried anymore.

This thing is a rocket ship. It's so much faster than my other boards, and it still turns really quick.
I can't say enough good things about it.

Mike, thanks again. It's freaking awesome.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Vince, bring that bad boy out to Dayton this weekend, on the 13th and ride in the Ohio Wakesurf Championship. Then let me ride it:-)

I rode a bullet at the Texas Wakesurf Championship, after really. Mike Walker was in the boat at the time. I tried several boards then tried the bullet. The board was amazing, I really raved about the board. No doubt the best board for my riding style.

I’m looking for competition tow boats for July 13th, this weekend and August 16th. Are you (your girl friend) still MC promo drivers? Interested? The event on the 13th is the Ohio Wakesurf Championship. The event on August 16th is the NWL National Wakesurf Championship. Two boats for the 16th must be 22 foot class, 23 footers are not permitted by the city.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
That board is siiiick! I love the graphics on the top! Post some pics of you riding it!
Old    surfdad            07-07-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
I think that Mike is calling that fin configuration "the Stinger". It's sort of a cross between what is called a Twinzer and Rusty's C-5.

In "theory" the lead fin cleans up flow around the fin base for the inner rail fin and the lead fin aerates the flow before it hits the main fin, acting as a turbulator and easing the transition into positive fin engagement when surfed rail to rail.

This "Stinger" has a good bit less total fin area than a quad, and will not bottom turn like a quad, but it will run up speed very well
and surf rail to rail with ease.

This picture of James gives an idea of the fins, in use. I don't think that Futures is making the black C-5's any longer, everything is the natural composite which is that off-white color.

Upload
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Show, I wish I could but we'll just be getting home from Laura's Minnesota clinic tour on friday, and I'm slammed with catching up when I get home.

Let me know if you're ever up in Chicago though. We're just north of the city a bit, and the X15 is always ready to throw a wave.

Timmy, I'd post a pic, but the shot of James is pretty much what i look like when I ride. Except I'm older, fatter, and bald. And my board never gets all the way out of the water.
Old    lakeside5_10            07-09-2008, 4:48 AM Reply   
Jeff , so do you like the c-5 set up better than a close quad set up ??
Old    surfdad            07-09-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
I was just talking with Jerry and Michael yesterday about quads. I played with them a BUNCH and just could not get them to work. Jerry was telling me that he has almost 3 years of R&D into them and is just now getting them dialed in. As a manufacturer Jerry has access to all sorts of resources that I don't, plus 40 years more experience :-)

I think that some really savvy hydrodynamic surf guru will work out the formula - like Jerry, but I sure couldn't.

I've also talked with a number of professionals - Eric Roush says that quads are the best thing since sliced bread. Rich Sanders and Wil Jobson (the originator of the Twinzer) say that for the small waves we work with the Twinzer set up is preferable to a quad...so who knows.

The bottom line though is that James preferred this C-5 / twinzer setup to any of the true Twinzer or Quad setups. We generate drive and pop through the planshape and the internal structure, so we don't have to rely so heavily on the fins. If you look at all the pictures of James' aerials using this board, basically all are done with a single pump up and into the wake. He is able to generate the same terminal velocity as a quad in about 2 less pumps. With a longer usable pocket, he can develop considerably more speed.

This shorter or more closely grouped fin pod allows James to still do his surface rotational tricks which was the biggest shortcoming on all of the quads that we tested/made.
Old    lakeside5_10            07-09-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
that is great because i just ordered 5 sets of c-5's
Old    surfdad            07-09-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
LOL - I meant to say they SUCK! :-) The placement of the C-5's is pretty critical, not as much as with the quad's, but there is a fairly limited useful range. Outside that range seems to eliminate the usefulness and it just turns it into a drag inducing structure. Part of what we did with our 21 mph line riding was to test the configuration for cavitation. That was one of the first things we had trouble with - James would go to air his board out and it would make this HORRIBLE noise - like a banshee or something. We had no noise at...I'm guessing 30 mph, so I'm happy with the setup.
Old    lakeside5_10            07-09-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
thats what r&d is all about, is finding out if stuff like this works or not . so i will try my hand as well.