Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (337)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Can anyone offer up the skinny on just how low The Vandal sank prior to his extended hiatus? Awareness of his 'transgressions' may help others better appreciate his reformation.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-24-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
That's probably too personal of a question for a response in a public forum and really none of anyone's business but his own. Let's just enjoy the fact that he is back.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
ahhh yeah.

How about some respect?
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
if anyone answers this they have a SERIOUS PROBLEM !!!! i didn't know that we started appreciating people on their past?? it shouldn't matter what happened or how low they got to appreciate who they are today...look at him now and what he does in this sport.... he made rider of the year for who he has become and who he is NOW not for what happend to him....Some people have no respect ... do you ask people what they did wrong in their life to forgive them or to judge them differently? it shouldn't be about what they did ...its who they are now ...like i said over and over again...respect him for who he is now and who he has ALWAYS been....You have some nerve to ask people to give you information about some one else's troubles? please ... for all i know and care he went away for a little bit to get his head straight and now he's back and thats all that we should care about... AMEN !
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Dang yall you need to chill! The dudes just a little curious thats all. I mean randall did fall off the face of the earth for 2 years. That would spark some curiousity in just about anybody...And i think he deserve a HUGE amount of respect for coming back!

Lee, Check out the interview in the special features of trangression. He talks about it all..its pretty deep.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
you should research it your self instead of posting it to the public to reply .
Old    swass            01-24-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
You sure are getting your undergarments in a bunch over this dude.

(Message edited by swass on January 24, 2008)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-24-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Ashley - I think you are taking this a bit to personal on the Vandall's behalf.
like it or not, he is a public figure. one of the most revered riders in this sport. He has recently come back into the public eye and has hinted at some troubles he has had. he has spoken openly about finding religion, but has not said what exactly was his downfall. I think it is perfectly ok for people to want to know what happened.
I am sure there are people out there in WW land who could be battling demons of their own, and might be able to look to someone like Randall for guidance or something. who knows. Randall's past could be very helpful to someone else.

if you are really curious, you can always try and contact him via the GB site or something. who knows. maybe he will email you if you are looking for help with your own issues.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-24-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
Wow everyone is way over sensitive on this subject. When you are a star everything you do is under the public eye, whether it be a forum or the news. Comes w/the glory. Look at Kobe Bryant, Britney Spears.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
thomas : its not that I'm taking it personally but you don't ask other people about other peoples issues right? thats like putting someone's issues on blast for everyone to read with out them knowing it...regaurdless if they are open about it or not....its a personal issue as it is .. everyone has issues i understand but the way that this person asked was different... and i quote "Can anyone offer up the skinny on just how low The Vandal sank prior to his extended hiatus? Awareness of his 'transgressions' may help others better appreciate his reformation." wanting to know how low they got to appreciate them is not the way to respect someone .
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-24-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
it is true that being in the public eye you get scrutiny from the public but i think that if you put yourself in their shoes you wouldnt appreciate it. i think that the paprazzi are lower human beeings than lawers(not all lawers are bad but most of them are blood sucking losers). talk about having no lives. they live off gossip and its crap.

what randall did in the past does not matter. what matters is what hes doing now. im sure everyone has all done things in the past that they arent proud of, some worse than others.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-24-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
ashley - my point was he is a public figure. he should expect this. I dont think people are trying to find out what he overcame, just so they can respect him.
hell, if you can't respect Randall for what he does behind the boat, you are a retard.
Jason - I agree. the paparazzi can all go away as far as I am concerned.
but this is a small industry still, and Randall is a big fish in it. people are going to be curious.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
First off, just because your a public figure, doesnt mean you should be stripped of your private life. Sorry but that doesnt make sense to me. But then again neither does the whole "people", "us" magazines, etc. I guess I am too focused on living my own life to worry or gossip about people whom I dont even know nor will likely ever know on a personal level. I guess I got to see some of this type of stuff first hand since my cousin would have been considered a "public figure" at one point and I saw all the absolute BS behind it.

Lee, in my opinion the question you are asking should be done over a 1 on 1 conversation with the person; unless you would like to share all your skeletons from your closet on a public forum? I guess if you are really interested I would get in contact with him in some way or another and go about it that way. Assuming you hadnt seen the other similar threads created about this topic I dont fault you for wondering.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-24-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Matt - I agree with you, but sadly, it is what it is. (I sound like my boss when I say that. ugh.)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
"I am sure there are people out there in WW land who could be battling demons of their own"

Yeah...anyone want to discuss those demons here on Wakeworld? Didn't think so.

Wanting to know what happened is one thing. You find new respect and appreciate for the guy. A very nice guy.

But, creating a thread to openly discuss the low points another man's life on a public forum is just bad taste.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-24-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Here we go Search Function, here we go!!! <--best if sung with a catchy tune!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/534136.html

On a happier note, isn't wakeboarding so much better that Randall is gracing us with his W$R style? Thank you Randall, you have inspired many and that is your gift from God. Amen.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-24-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
I would like to add something, I wouldn't call pro wakeboarders "Stars". They are only famous to us. Wakeboarding as a whole is small, people know people. In this small world that we are all a part of (some more then others, ie. pros vs the average) There is a respect we all feel for each other. A respect that should keep you from asking such a question. I have respect for Randall just like I have respect for any of my friends (even though I have only met him a handful of times)
People are getting a little pissed about Randell's past staying his past. its because they have respect. It's easy to picture one of our close friends high up on the podium going through the same public trial. "Do unto others as you want done to you"
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-24-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
I consider Randall a good friend and I believe he has gone above and beyond in regards to publicly discussing his issues. Anyone that has ever battled this disease knows that each case is different. Everybody has a different rock bottom. Some hit it and never make it back. Some learn from it and recover. I don't believe details of his actions are necessary but rather a recognition of his strength, courage and determination.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-24-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
"Yeah...anyone want to discuss those demons here on Wakeworld"

JRod - I feel like sometimes I know strangers on here, better than I know myself!

like I said in the previous post. I am just glad he is back killing it behind the boat.
I remember seeing him in High Wake Drifters rocking the O'brien Double Ender, and knew he was going to be something special.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-24-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
it's one thing to put someone on blast for things they've done in their past that are private and that person wishes to keep it that way.

it's a totally different beast when you can pop open a webpage (WW) and can read about the whole thing in an interview. i think it would be a big deal if no one knew anything about randall and his reasons for leaving the sport for 2 years. BUT he's openly spoken about it and the interview was posted on wakeworld.

i personally dont see anything wrong with what he's asking about other than i think your lazy for not researching it yourself...
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-24-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
Knowing that he has rekindled a relationship with his creator I know he has a testimony to share, but like many have said this is probably not the place. Plus it would seem that this is also a place it could be taken out of context. Typing something like that you dont really show emotion and I am sure this would envoke some emotions. My testimony does and I would not want to share it here. I personally would only share it in a one on one basis. Its very personal. If any of you have a personal relationship with your maker and his son and have a testimony of your own then you would understand. That is not a dig on people who dont, just my perspective.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
I agree with the star comment Al. The way I look at it is if people are going to take that attitude its like all or nothing. You either open yourself up entirely to the world or step away from the sport; which is a horribly illogical idea. I would MUCH rather have Randall in the sport and know NOTHING about him, his past etc. Than not have him at all.

RANDALL deserves BIG, BIG, BIG congrats on a great year! Big ups for coming back and doing what you do better than anyone, and after 770 days! Furthermore, much respect for HOW your doing it and WHY.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-24-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Haha, I just realized that was the guys very first post...

WELCOME TO WAKEWORLD!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-24-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
prolly his last too. You guys are brutal sometimes. It's just a question.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
So drugs then. Got it. That's all anyone needed to say.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
WOW...that was his first post. I hope there's no hard feelings bro. I'm sure your isn't as insensitive as everyone is trying to make you feel. The only thing I have to say is that he maybe shouldn't have opened up a public discussion about Harris's personal life but Randall himself has not only talked openly about this subject on WW but there was also an interview with him in Alliance not too long ago. So if you want to know about it then you can read it. I think we should all just chill out and go watch Transgression.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-24-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Will Britney get the kids back?
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-24-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
much love randall. you do wake riding justice.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
He talks about some of the stuff in his interview in Transgression. Buy the DVD.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-24-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Heavy..you forgot to clap twice after that chant
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-24-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Let's all appreciate his sic riding and be thankful for the journey he has traveled and his love for God.

Randall....hope you do another ride for us at a tourney this summer
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-25-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
I think Brad D. has a good point. Your "rock bottom" or just life before you knew Christ is all a part of your testimony.

I don't know him, but from what I've read from him I don't think he would in any way shy away from his past and where he was. I could be wrong but I hope not...it makes his testimony all that much more powerful. I did a lot of stupid things before I became a Christian as well, and I share those things with others because it gives greater insight and praise into the ways He has changed my heart and my life.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
AMEN to that
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-25-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
If Charles Manson starts winning wake contests do we have to stop talking about the Tate murders? The dude is who he is and he wouldn't be where he is without taking the road he did. Trying to cover things up just make them bigger and as long as responders to the OP are truthful there can't be anything more disrespectful said then what the guy did disrespecting himself. It sounds like he's past whatever troubles he had so why not discuss it?
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
hahahaha...I think somebody should start a whole new thread: if Charles Manson was in to wakeboarding would you give him a pull behind your boat?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-25-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I didn't read past the first few posts but...

For all the original poster knows Mr. Harris could have hurt himself, and thats why he fell off the face of the earth, at least in the public eye. No where in the question did I catch intent to release any negative information on what happened. Even an answer as simple as "personal reasons" may have been informative enough.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-25-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
wow, this one got crazy.

I am gunna Rodney KING THIS Thread!

Upload
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-25-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
hahaha
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Guys Chill the F out. He just about tells all in Transgression. I dont see what the big deal is. He is open with it. I think because of his past has a new love for the sport. I think he is Riding better than ever. He had some low points but now he is striaght. In the interview he said he hopes he can stay striaght and prays about it everyday. We all have faith that he will because the sport isnt the same without him
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-25-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
caseman, If you don't give Chuck a pull how will he ever get good? Just cut the rope when his set is over.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-25-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
All this has inspired me to watch Transgression.
Old     (337)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-25-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Apologies for the taboo thread. My Randall respect was never an issue and I now know to tread lightly around this soft crowd.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-25-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
"just cut the rope when his set is over"...HAHAHAHAHA. I'm dying here imagining a scrawny Manson trying to ride. Good stuff!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-25-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
I like how all the Harris "fans" are NOW asking what happened & where was he.... TRUE fans knew where he was & what was going on (or had a good idea)..... Does ANYBODY on here remember when he was riding the Byerly Bunt back in the day (oh yeah, that was a board made by a company called Wake Tech for those of you that don't know... and yes, Byerly used to ride for a company BEFORE hyperlite) lol

I don't think the forums are a place to bring up a question like that, but could be an honest mistake if you really didn't know.....
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-25-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Big ups Lee! Way to suck it up!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-25-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
thanks for the history lesson Forrest. did you know randall rode for Sound also??

there are a lot of new people to this sport. because they might lack all the "knowledge" of people who have been around from the beginning does not necessarily make them any less of a "fan".
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-25-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I think he said it all in trangression. The movie is great and has a lot of meaning. I for one can tell from watching natural born thrillaz and trangressions that Randall is a man now. You can see him struggle even in the movie with the old Randall and new Randall. The movie really has to do alot to do with things other then wakeboarding. Sorry for rambling! I think i'm gonna go watch transgression i need some inspiration after this thread...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-25-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Forrest I totally still have a Byerly Blunt. And one of his old school Baby Blue and White Pro Modles.
Upload
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-25-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Andy, I got one of those TOO(the blunt)!!! Only I spray painted mine all blue at one point.

Definitely one of my fav boards!
Old     (proflex857)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-25-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
My second board was an old NBN (no billy no) 143 with pirate ship graphics that was made on the same mold as the baby blue byerly. Jeez, I'm old. Anyone remember Chase Heavener? My first board was his pimp model. Ballsy.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-25-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
of course we remember chase heavener! I actually have two of his rainbow pro model fins, one of which is still in the package.

I recently got a blunt for my collection--super mint and it came with the fins (which were NBN fins). I also added a very nice looking horrell to the collection...

That baby blue jobby is the last byerly I need to complete my wake tech collection. Well, unless you count the x-rated bat tail, but I don't really dig that graphic too much.Upload
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-25-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I remember the first shot Randall had in a magazine, he was standing on the dock with his board stood up next to him. It was an O'brien Double Ender that was taller than he was. After that it was Sound. He used to kill it for Sound, switch crow mobes at 13. Crazy stuff.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-25-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Ah, the Double Ender. I had the Full Nelson (same board, different graphic) until it broke. My buddy still has one. Crazy how little rocker it has.

I think the question posted is not out of line in a general sense. You can't make a big deal about "a return after 700+ days off the water" and "finding God after being in a bad place" without somewhat begging the question of where that bad place was, at least in a global sense (e.g., drugs, alcohol, gangs, wakesurfing, etc.).
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-25-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
I really don't care if the Vandal is Vanilla Ice or a Jesus Freak, I'm just glad to see that he is riding. I will buy any video with him in it and I haven't bought a wake video in at least two years.
Old    K.B.C.            01-25-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I still have the Sound Demo VHS with Randall doing a tumbling routine down the dock...awesome

It's really nobody's business. I'm just glad he came back so I can watch him ride again. Thanks Randall.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-25-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
Public eye = public scrutiny...that the way its been and always will be. Comes with the territory. And yes these guys are stars maybe on a small scale, but stars none the less. If I had kids I would want to know the story before I decided if I wanted these guys (not just Randall)to be role models.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
Just think about what it would take to get you out of the sport. No matter how bad it was for him, it tooks guts to get out to get it straight. Much respect to Randall for realizing that it took getting out of a sport he loved to get his life straight!!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-26-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Scott, YES!!! I still have that video as well, along with the product catalog from that year. So awesome...
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-26-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
TNSNC, Scott's single.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-26-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
his profile states that his favorite grab is tindy. I'm going to conveniently say that I'm taken...hahahahaaaa.
Old    K.B.C.            01-27-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
what? you got something against Tindy's?
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-28-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
>>rode for Sound also<< Oh I forgot about that.... Thruster too.......

OH Andy, you looking to get rid of that blue/white Byerly??

Heavner ROCKS!!!

Electric.... Sounds like you actually might have more Byerly's then me.....hhhhmmm... also anytime you want to let that Horrell go, let m know!

See now this trip down memory lane is more fun then digging on somebodys demons....

BTW, I am also looking for a Thruster Cash Cow...

OH, what about Solbound bindings for a memory lane trip....
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
Forrest, sorry bro gotta keep some of the old schools. Can sell it!

I have a great list of the actually I own-
-Pink Skufer Launch
-HO Hyper Lite Original
-HO Hyper Lite Pro
-HO Perez Pro Model
-That Byerly Pro (Photo)
-Byerly Blunt
-OG Flight 69
-Connelly Sherd Stick

The best part is they are all boards I bought to ride! Except the Shred Stick I traded a set of bindings for it!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-28-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
hahaha, I don't think I'll be selling that horrell any time soon. I was pretty psyched to find that board. I have the turn table deck, and one I really want is the chinchilla deck. I really dig that graphic

I can say that I do have a pair of solbound bindings...it was the next best thing to having a board, which I'm still looking for. Back when they were around, I really liked the vibe and the "idea" of that company. plus randy was pretty much my favorite wakeboarder at the time.

oh yeah, scott, do I actually have to answer that? (haha)

(Message edited by electricsnow on January 28, 2008)
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-29-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Andy.. Nice list..... let me kow if you ever want to part w/ any of it.... could use a few of those in my collection

chef.. same there...let me know when....

BTW, my collection (not going to mess w/ the years in this post)
Skurfer Launch (yellow)
Wake Tech Flight 69 (original)
Wake Tech Byerly Pro (first one..forgot the year)
Wake Tech Byerly Blunt (year after)
Hyperlite Byerly LTD (army guys)
Hyperlite Byerly LTD (giloteen)
Hyperlite Byerly Finless
Hyperlite Byerly DNA
Hyperlite Byerly (w/ cutouts)
Gator Caddy
Gator Gonzalez
Gator Harris (heaven/hell) (2x)
Gator Harris (bandana)
--Do you see a pattern there...trying to get one Byerly from each year.... Might do the same w/ Harris' too....