Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-28-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Every time my buddy tows my boat to the lake he flips my axle over the leaf springs. I think its due to surge brakes and his truck not wired to disengage them when backing. With an empty trailer he backs up and trailer stops and tongue goes up in the air then axle rolls the shackle at the pivot point over. I dont notice it until we get home. Its not hard to fix...but does anyone else ever have this happen. I have beat him up a couple times but he is hard headed.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-28-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
There is an easy way for him to disengage the brakes. I am assuming the trailer has a 5 pin flat and your buddies truck only has a 4 pin flat. Before he backs up he needs to hop out of the truck and flip the flat plugs around and turns on his headlights it will disengage the brakes.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-28-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
if the flip doesn't work, try a nickel in the coupler slide for the surge, its a pretty good temporary fix to get it backed up..
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-28-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
sounds like the problem is more how the trailer is designed -- maybe the shackles are welded too far apart... i had an ole trailer like that once -- was a pain in the arse any time you had to cross the slightest ditch etc...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-29-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Is it a Dorsey? if so, call them, they have extended shackles for this.
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-29-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
Check that the trailer is riding level as well.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-29-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
There should be a lever on the tongue that you can position up or down. This will disengage the surge brake for when he's backing up.

At least on my trailer there is. My trailer does not have any eletrical connections to the surge brakes. It is all controlled force of the trailer moving on the hitch.

(Message edited by zoah on May 29, 2008)
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-30-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
the extended shackles sound like a good idea. the trailer rides level, slightly lower in the front when in tow, level when boat is off trailer. its only a couple years old (2005) and this is the only problem i have had with it..and its only when this guys drives and is mr forgetful about not backing up. i think longer shackles would solve the problem. the only problem i see is that would lower the trailer however far they are extended.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-30-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
"if the flip doesn't work, try a nickel in the coupler slide for the surge"

Awesome! I did this years ago. I want to say a 9/16 socket worked also.