Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (beachshack)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-17-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
I am ready to buy these speakers for my tower and having a hard time deciding on an amp. Can you recommend one that woulddrive the speakers sufficiently considering they are rated at 150RMS @4 ohms. The other question is can I use a car amp instead. What are your recommendations
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
Phil White, the kicker rep, has covered this mulitple times on this form. Search for tower speakers, there is a LONG post titled "tower speakers" about this.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/664074.html

He reccomends the Kicker ZX450.2

I tried to power these with a lesser amp (cheaper, but met the specs), and now purchased that 450.2. My other amp made the speakers sound like crap. Get the amp reccomended
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-18-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
In the Kicker lineup, the ZX450.2 is the perfect match for the KTM6 speakers. That thread is a world of info and covers all your questions plus more! You can use a "car" amp, just be mindful of mounting location. If you chose not to go with the Kicker, at least get a 2 chnl amp that will deliver around 150 watts rms @ 4ohm's.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Curt-

Good morning, Phil here. Dh and TigeMike are right... Go find the thread titled TOWER SPEAKERS. it is about 240 posts long, but should answer most of the questions you have, and a few you hadn't thought of! :-)

Let us know!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       06-18-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
The only thing that annoys me about this is that there isn't a marine amp from Kicker that will handle this...

the MX350.4 is one I have used in the past but its not a great ideas as it means the ohms drop low. Though it does work fine in my experience.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Brit-

Mount the ZX450.2 high and dry and it will go fine for ya. Mount it on standoffs, in a storage compartment, up high, and away from ballast hoses or other sources of dripping.

If you get it wet mounted with these recommendations in mind, my experience is that you have bigger worries than a wet amp; namely a sinking or sunk boat. :-)

Go for it and have fun!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-18-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Upload

Thats how I mounted my JBL car amps in my DD. They are mounted to a painted plywood board that is bolted to the back of the drivers console.

Its a closed bow DD so no water usualy gets up there.