Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Hey All,

I ran 3 conductor 16 ga.wire up my tower and hooked my speakers up using one wire as a common ground and then one wire to each of the channels. (Phased correctly)

In another post (Polk db 650 Tower speakers) I describe my problems with my amp cutting out...could this be part of the problem?

(Message edited by wesgardner on August 08, 2006)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
yes it could be, you could have calculated your impedance incorrectly. Double check the way you wired it. If the impedance is to low or to high yoru amp will cut out.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
I believe they are 4 ohm speakers...parallel will give you 2 ohms, series will give you 8 ohms - right?

I was reading somewhere that I might NOT be able to use the "common ground" idea...
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-08-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
I would not use a common ground. how many speakers are you runnning?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
your right on the parallel/series. I don't want to assume anything. I'm havign a hard time seeing what you did. How many speakers total, and how many channels on the amp? Running a common ground could be throwing off your impedance calc? Common grounds are ok as long as the guage wire is big enough. but 16 ga should be fine for a speaker. CAn your amp handle 2ohm loads/ 8 ohm loads?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Easy way to find out is re-wire it normally (outside the tower, to make it easy) and see if you haev the smae problem.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
I don't think you can do that, you are effectively bridging 1/2 of each channel, your amp will screw up sooner or later as it is unbalanced.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do...(rewire outside of tower)

To clarify - I have 4 speakers total - two on each channel...the amp is a 2 channel amp...

Somehow I think the common ground deal is screwing things up...

Sorry if I wasn't being clear...

Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-08-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
I would run two speakers per channel, with the common ground you were running around 1 ohm load on the amp, which I doubt it was stable at
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Thanks all...I see the error in my ways...I had this 3 conductor wire sitting around that I thought I could save some money...well, you know the name of that tune...dang it..
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-08-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Most amplifiers do NOT use "ground" as one of the speaker connections. If they did, you wouldn't be able to bridge an output. There are also safety reasons why they don't do that.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Just to clarify - the "ground" I refer to is the "-" on the speaker connection strip...