Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-07-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
I know these are both great subs (from what I hear) but was wondering which would be a better selection to go in a LSV. And how much more power (and money!) would the W6 run as compared to the W3?

We aren't looked for anything to blow the boat out of the water, but just something with good quality, that hits pretty hard, and won't require a ton of power.

Thanks in advance.
Old    air_sv211            04-07-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
According to JL, the W3 is rated at 300 watts RMS and the W6 is rated at 400 watts RMS.

If it were me I would put a JL 250/1 on the W3 and a JL 500/1 on the W6.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I would put the 500/1 on the W3. I am running 600watts to a 12W3 and have had no problems for 3+ years running that much power to it.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-07-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
We will most likely be running 6 Alpines in the boat with one of those two subs. We probably won't get the tower speakers yet, so any amp recommendations for this set-up?

We wanted something simple (one amp) so the local marine stereo installer is suggesting a PPI 800.5 for the entire system...so that would allow us an amp already to run tower speakers when we add them later. And no, they won't be NVS's on the tower (I wish) but will be the same Apline's (4 more on the tower).

I hope I'm making sense. How are the PPI's and what amp should we run if we decided we weren't doing tower speakers but just wanted the 6 interiors and either the W3 or W6?
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-07-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Here is what I woulod do. If you are running only one sub I would put a 12W6v2 not a 10 but if you want the 10 that is you choice. For either of the subs I sould run a memphis power reference amp. They make a 500 watt mono block that would pound those suns real nice. You can't buy memphis online but you can check out their web site at www.memphiscaraudio.com
They also have a killer marine series. I usde to hate all these weak amps that cost and arm and a leg that were "marine" and did not put out any power. All memphis amps are great. If you want the marine they are great but if you want to save a buck they check out the power reference series.

This is a link directly to the 500 watt power reference that I recomend. I am running the 1000 watt mono to 2 kicker l5's and they slam

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=98

Also if you want one amp to run subs and cabin speakers I would suggest the memphis belle marine amp. It has 4 channels and one 600 watt channel for the sub which would be awsome. The speaker channels put out 55 Watts per channel. My buddy that installs these amps said that would be plenty for those Alpines.

As far as PPI. I have some of the older amps and they are sweet. But the main designer left about a year or two ago and they are not the same. They are still great amps but not worth the money. They should be about 1/2 the price they are right now

hope that helps

email if ou have any questions

Preston
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-07-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
Jarret - I faced a similar decision on the subs like you have and actually ended up going with a 10" Alpine Type-R (see my XStar reborn post). I was told it's somewhere between the 2 types you're looking at but much more price competitive.

I ran it off a Cadence 4ch amp last year - it has dual 4ohm voice coils - and was pushing around 400w to it. After the rebuild I replaced the Cadence amp with a JL 500/1 which pushes around 600w clean to it and let me tell you it absolutely pounds. The gain is only set about 1/2 way because the dash starts to rattle. I like the 10" better because it's a tighter thump.

I don't think you can go wrong with the PPI amps - I have a 4125 in mine pushing NVS 808s but previously had it pushing 4 boat speakers and 2 towers and it did very well. I don't think that amp is big enough to push a W6.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-07-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
i have 2 10W3v2's on a 500/1 JL and it hits really good
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-08-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else with experience with these two subs?
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-08-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
I'm istalling a 12W3v2 with a Phoenix gold amp around 500w in a friends party barg tommorow
I'll let you know how it sounds when I'm done.
I run two 12W6v2 with two Arc audio 1000T2 amps I'm very happy with the sound.
If you got the extra ca$h get the W6 I don't think you'll wish you had goten the W3 after you hear the 6.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
Just installed a 12w6v2, powered by Fosgate 600/bd amp. sounds pretty good for a single sub.
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-09-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Well like I said in my previous post, we installed a W3v2 in a sealed enclosure today.
Since it is a party barge and is very open it sounded OK, I'm sure it would sound better in a boat but he's already thinking about an upgrade.