Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-01-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
Anyone done one? Just bought one for a Supra 21v. It looks like I have 2 options. Remote only which would require drilling 3 fairly small holes or remote with bezel which requires a serious hole and appears to require a lot more sealing to keep the water out. I know they come with the rubber gaskets, but those alone won't cut it. Looking for some input from those who have gone down this road. Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-01-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
I've done a bunch of the Clarion remotes on the transom. They require a 3" hole, no big deal.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2009, 4:27 AM Reply   
I am on my 3rd kenwood rc-50mr remote in 3 years. The original one was installed by an authorized kenwood marine dealer/installer and I have just used the original holes/spot for the replacements. The first two quit working within 60 days of install. This third/current one works fine when it's dry, but intermittently when it gets wet. The install seems to be correct, with no obvious gaps for leakage. Also, the installer doesn't recommend me sealing it with any other sealant and advised me that the rubber gasket would suffice, obviously it doesn't.

I am not a big fan of the rc-50mr remote.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-02-2009, 5:56 AM Reply   
Not a huge fan of the cheaper remote either, but that's what I put on my transom. three small holes that are covered sufficiently by the rubber gasket
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
This is the KTS-RC100MR. Don't think I'll install it if they are dying out and working intermittenly.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-02-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
do you like having a transom remote? have you spent much time in a boat with one? i think they are terrible. if someones legs not changing the volume or song some tool is. no thanks i will keep in control of the radio from the drivers seat. every once in a while if we are beached i will use the wireless remote.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
Never been in a boat that had one. When I'm out riding with the crew, it's not needed. On Sunday afternoons with my wife and were anchored in a cove floating around, it seems like it would be a good idea though.
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-02-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I installed the RC100MR on my 21V. I chose the 3 smaller holes. I put it on the passenger side just above and outside the lifting eye. I used the rubber back gasket between the boat and remote. It sealed strong. No leaks. I have not had any issue with the remote. I use it constantly since we raft up with other boats instead of beaching. Saves from drunks having to step in and out of the boat to change songs.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Nice color scheme Jason. Think I'll go with the 3 hole setup myself. Less to repair if it ever does fail and I want to remove it.