Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-29-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
Well I am trading my 99 205V in on a new Malibu in a few days. I went out to the lake to take one last spin before I got rid of her. Well de winterized the boat and started great blah blah.

Well I was going down the lake and I noticed the temp was at about 200 (usually 160). I backed off shuter her down to check the engine. Felt the block and the temp was not abnormal to the touch. The manifolds were warm (normal temp)I could keep my hands on them for a long time without burn ring. So all inspections check out.

Fire the boat up and the temp read 180ish. Idle down the lake and the Temp goes to 160 then back to 220. Just a constant dance back and forth. The impeller housing was completely cool also. So I just idled back to the ramp put it up. Also if I raised the RPM the temp stayed more on the higher end. I have always found that temp will go down 5 degrees when the RPMs are higher (because there is more cool water running through.

OK please feel free to ask any questions but anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Preston
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
could be a bad ground on the gauge.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Agree with Matt. If your impeller was fried, the boat would be hot at idle and cool down when the speed increased as the water would be forced through.

Your thermostat could be messed up, not opening up at low enough temp. Start with the easiest stuff if you wanna fix it, check the impeller, then the gauge.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-29-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
sounds like a thermostat problem to me..
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-29-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
You might want to fire it up on the trailer with a "Fake-a-lake" and verify that you get a reasonable amount of cooling water flowing through the system.

Then I would go ahead and change the impeller. Probably time anyway.

Rod
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-29-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I betting on the bad ground connection. Run a test wire directly from the ground on the back of the temp guage to the battery and see if the problem still exists.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
Trade it in and start worrying about your new boat.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-29-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
I had a piece of the impellar break off and block the water flow periodically. It was doing the same thing you describe. I thought it was the thermostat because it was infrequent. It kept doing the same thing after I swapped the thermostat out so I finally pulled the empellar housing apart and sure enough broken piece of it stuck in the exit of the housing.