Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-05-2003, 6:31 AM Reply   
Hi,

I need to know how difficult it will be to fit the new style gauges (as fitted to latest style prostars etc) to an older 90 MC prostar.
I'm sure the rev counter works off the coil pulse so that should be ok.
I guess the fuel, temp, oil pressure gauges work from the senders off the engine and I can re calibrate them easy enough if too far out.
Its the speedos which I'm not sure on. Do the new MCs have an electric sender?
Any info and especially a wiring diagram would be great.
BTW I'm in the UK but I guess UK boats are the same any how.

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2003, 4:47 PM Reply   
i didnt know you can recalibrate gauges as usually they are manufactured for a specific transmitter/sender
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-05-2003, 11:53 PM Reply   
From my investigations it seems the new MC gauges use what is known as a MMC which is a blax box which takes the pressure tubes from the speedo pilots as well as the voltage from the temp and oil pressure sensors and then converts this to a digital data signal for the guages.
If I intend to go this route I will also need to obtain the MMC black box.
Not sure what to do now as they new MC gauges look so sweet I really want them but the cost might be too high!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2003, 2:14 AM Reply   
You're actually looking for a module called the MDC (marine data controller). As you said, it gathers info from the various senors around the boat, and outputs that info as a voltage on a universal CAN bus to the gauges. You'll need the MDC, and all of the associated gauges to make things work. Whether or not you'll need new sensors I don't know.

It may be cheaper and less work (Kysor Medallion gauges are known for failing) to just use Airguide speedos.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-08-2003, 1:34 AM Reply   
Anyone know how much the MDC costs? And where I can buy one?
I have sourced a full set of dials but will be needing the MDC to get them to work.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
You can get the MDC (or MMDC depending on what gauges you're getting) from any Mastercraft dealer. It's around $200-250. Just out of curiousity, where did you get the set of gauges? I'm trying to track down some gauges for my Malibu.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2003, 5:32 AM Reply   
Hmmm is it worth the extra expense for these gauges? They look nice and I need new speedos and a tach so they are going to cost quite a bit. Still thinking.....
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
For the speedos to work correctly you will need to install a through hull paddle wheel. The 90 MC speedos run off of pressure tubes. I was looking at doing it but you'd have to buy an MDC and then the paddle wheel and there are some wiring issues. It's a lot more trouble than it is worth (my opinion only of course).

Jay post a pic of your 90MC... I have the same boat and mine is pictured in my profile.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
From what I have read about the MDC it uses pressure pick ups, not the paddel wheel.
I think I may just replace the standard airguide units with a similar replacement.

As for my MC I have no pick at the moment but its the pro comp type not the prostar as you have, but it has the same hull. I know MC offically stopped making the pro comp in 89 but here in the UK some pro comps where still made in early 1990. My dad owned it from new and I've had it for the past year or so after selling my ski nautique.
Old    cpj            04-07-2003, 10:29 PM Reply   
Jay Carter- I can help you out with all the details of parts, prices, and labor involvement of the mdc changeover. It is a lot of information so I will help you if your still on the search.