Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (ks_cowboy)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
I am in the market for a new board, and am looking for suggestions. I ride on private lake where only outboards are allowed, and our boat puts out a decent wake for a outboard but it isn't a wake boat. I am currently riding an 06 marius, and have had a couple of older absolutes before that. I am looking at upgrading to a platinum board this time. Maybe an 08 marius or transend, but I'm open to suggestions. I wasn't sure if one board would be better suited to the small wake than another. Thanks Ross
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
I ride the 09 marius plat, and most of the riding i do unfortunately is on a small wake...now i wont say that this is the best board for a small wake...but im definitely pleased with it all around, and am able to get good pop with it!
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       07-06-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Go with the Slingshot and try to use the Flex technology to get you some more pop... Or A Company board.. The boards act like a spring when you his the wake.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-06-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Try something with an abrupt 3 stage.
Old     (ks_cowboy)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
I think i'm going to stick with CWB because i've had such good luck with them over the years. I like my current marius it's just worn out. I wasn't sure if i would be better off with a three stage or the continuous. How abrupt is the 3 stage on the transend?
Old     (riverrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-06-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
im o you would be better off with a continuous rocker board. I had a 17' bayliner outboard and could get better pop with my continuous rocker than the abrupt 3 stage boards my friends had. Again just my opinion.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-06-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
I respectfully disagree that continuous vs. 3-stage is what he should look at first... that is all preference.

On a small wake, the first thing to hold you back is board and binding WEIGHT. For that reason, the Platinum would be a good choice... then pick-up a pair of lightweight bindings and you'll be good to go. I love my Liquid Force Vantage's and they weigh next to nothing.

Good luck.

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on July 06, 2009)
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Transcend is a subtle 3 stage, so here's both sides...transcend plat (subtle 3 stage) or stick wit the marius and get the 09 (continuous) but deffinitely throw on the 08 or 09 answer bindings...they are super light! im rockin them on my marius plat and it weighs nothin man! and has really good pop and wakes that barely qualify as a speed bump
Old     (ks_cowboy)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies i still haven't made up my mind, but i thinks it's down to the Marius and the transcend. If i go with the transcend what size should i get? I am 6'2" and 185-195 lbs my current Marius is a 140, but I'm not sure if i should go up or down in size to the transcend.
Old     (beau4889)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-06-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
Ya I would say go with the Slingshot or Company Boards like Gene Weihe . They are both pretty new but I ride the 3 stage slingshot recoil and I love it. I have rode a decent amount of boards and nothing can compare. I had a good friend of mine riding on sponsorship for hyperlite meaning he was getting free board and everything and he rode a slingshot and instantly changed over. I have rode this board behind everything big and small still being able to do all my inverts and spins. Great Product they are putting out. Check them out.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
ross, go with the transcend 141 the weight specs on it are 150 lbs and up. the 135 being too small for you tops out at 170 lbs.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-06-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
I've been around wakeboarding long enough to remember the earlier days of technology. Heavier boards, smaller wakes, and bindings that were less responsive (to name a few). In the mid 90's my neighbours were throwing 3's, brolls, roll to reverts, attempting tanny's, and even the odd raley behind their 15' 90 HP johnson outboard off a standard ski pylon. It was seeing these guys do all that which got me hooked on wakeboarding.

Watch early pro footage, there's still a video of Bylerly floating around where he's riding behind I believe a barefoot set up and going big and killing it.

While most of us will never be that talented it goes a long way to remind us what good edging and technique will do.

Sure with technology and bigger wakes things are easier, the pro's are pushing the sport all the time... but history has proved that we don't need all the new gizmo's and 3000lbs plus of ballast to be able to ride. I'm all for easier but rock out what you have, what you're comfortable with, and above all have fun.

When my friends say "Hey Jeff, want to come wakeboarding" you don't hear me saying "sorry I don't ride behind outboards". Instead you hear me saying "sure lets ride!". I'll get out behind that boat and try just about everything I'll try on a wakeboat. If it teaches me one thing, it's that if my technique is solid, I can still throw most of the tricks I have in the bag regardless.

(Message edited by EternalShadow on July 06, 2009)
Old     (ks_cowboy)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
I am not that worried about my boat, and i'm also not trying to find a miracle. I am trying to make the most of my situation. I currently land out in the flats without a tower or ballast, i am in need of a new board and though i would consult the brain trust here before i purchase. As for transend sizing i thought they only came in 138 and 142 and i'm not sure whether to go up or down in size.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-06-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
i ride the premier and i ride on a bayliner and
the premier will give alot of pop for that small
wake
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-06-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Go up in size. Riding a bigger board has few drawbacks, whereas going smaller can negatively affect your riding, at least with my experiences..
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-06-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
I have found the same thing as roddyrod. If anything I would go up in size.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
Definitely go up in size, I'm a little dude and ride the 138 but have been thinking about going up to the 142. Bigger boards have more surface area and will help with your pop too. The new Transcend will ride a lot different than your Marius, I think you will feel that it releases off the wake easier as well. Hard to go wrong with your choices, I'd lean to the Transcend.
Old     (beau4889)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-06-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
Ya. Bigger is better. But I am telling you go with the slingshot. You wont regret it. The flex is New but Its going to be in all boards soon. Go with slingshot or company boards and you will love it. They are all around better boards then other. Randall harris rides/Owns company boards. Have you seen his section in "Drive" the wakeboard video of the year in 2008? Its amazing and he is riding his flex board some before he was even supposed to be. He had stickers all over it so you couldn't tell. All flex board are so FUN!!!! And I agree a BIGGER board is better.