Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-11-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
Any one live there? what is the area like? What lakes are near? Housing and cost of living?

thanks,
Mike
Old    sonicr1            09-11-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
it is a bit posh... houses from 400k-5mil... I'd live there if I could afford it!!! Nice little valley surrounded by hills, usually they are green. Closest water is the Delta, Don PEdro, Mclur, Turlock and New Melones are about 2 hours east.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-11-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
PLeasanton, is a very nice area... Closest to Disco Bay 30-45 min. (depending on time you leave), and the delta in general... Pretty expensive Housing... But Normal for the Bay area...
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
What are you looking for Mike. 400K will buy you a 2 bed 1 bath townhouse... maybe. Expect to pay 500K on up for a house. Like it was mentioned earlier. The delta is close but I wouldn't count on riding every night after work. The traffic will cut into your riding time. Cost of living in the Bay Area.... Bling Bling

go to www.redoakrealty.com for a listing of homes
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-11-2003, 6:18 PM Reply   
A.P. bigdad,
thanks for the relo site, I am looking at a new golf course development in Dublin? Homes are a little more reasonable? 700k? for a new home. Is this a nice area, same drive for the delta and disco bay area? I really dont want to give up the boat to take up golf?
Old    norcal_99            09-11-2003, 6:32 PM Reply   
Dublin is over rated. You should just buy a home in Discovery Bay.
Old     (delta_glass)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-11-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
I live in Pleasanton, love it, not too much for college students to do. It a very nice place to live, nice location, weather, schools (foothill high), nice hunnies.

I am lucky I get Pleasanton during the summer and Santa Barbara during the fall, winter, and spring.

-Evan
Old    aircanada            09-11-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
Mike,

Dublin is a very nice area, I've lived here for three years now. Dublin/Pleasanton are both very clean, safe cities... much of Dublin is new development. There is a 24 hour Safeway and all the amenities including a movie theater minutes away from the area you are looking at.

Without traffic it is about a 30 minute drive to the Delta. In the summer, riding after work is definitely do-able but it helps to be able to leave work a little early to beat the traffic. Winter riding on the Delta can't be beat, low boat traffic and lots of butter. There are a number of good golf courses in the area (in case you want to take up golf ),it's reasonably close to a number of nice lakes. If you ski or snowboard, Tahoe is do-able as a day trip however I prefer to make a weekend out of it. Santa Cruz and the beaches are about an hour and a half away.

Do you already have a job lined up? If so, what city will you be working in? The commute might factor into your decision. A couple other areas right next door you might want to check out are San Ramon and Danville.

I've been looking at some of the new developments in the area myself. Let me know if you have any questions or need more information..

- Sean

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
Dublin is nice. It's a newer town that has a lot of new developments. About the same distance to the water as Pleasanton. Where will you be working at? If you want to be on the water then Discovery Bay cannot be beat. Get a home on the water and in five minutes you can be in the wakeboarding mecca.

Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-12-2003, 5:02 AM Reply   
Discovery Bay,? I need to check it out, the job position is in Pleasaton, but can commute from the surrounding burbs. Any info on Discovery Bay? Any boarders live here? work in Pleasanton, commute from DB? I am not a big fan of long commutes, but if the butter is nice...
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-12-2003, 5:11 AM Reply   
Sean, A.P.
nice boats, do you guys trailer to the delta? Sean, you live in Dublin, where do you store your boat? What is the drive time for you to get on the water? Weekends, how crowded does the water get? Any private lakes? boat clubs etc. I have two kids, 8 and 4, both have taken to the sport this summer, My 8 year old daughter can ride all over the lakes, my 4 year old son can deep start and ride for about 30 yards and then fall over. It is much more enjoyable watching them wakeboard, than lets say playing soccer! I really would like to keep the boarding experience for them, but if its not doable then hello soccer fields on the weekends.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
You can definitely commute to Pleasanton from Discovery Bay. In fact I'm pretty sure the majority of the people who live in the Dicso Bay, Brentwood, Tracy area all work in the S.F. Bay Area and have to make the commute. It will probably take you 40 min or so to get to work.

As for describing Discovery Bay. A few pros live and came from there, and pretty much everyone who lives on the deep water has a wakeboard boat on ht hydrohoist. It's a few minutes by boat to the Delta. Do I have to describe the legendary Delta to you or have you heard of it.... Miles and Miles of waterways where good water could always be found anytime of the day.
Old    norcal_99            09-12-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
Here's my take: Sure there are some nice areas around Pleasanton, but Discovery Bay is the only place in Contra Costa County I'd ever consider living. Check out http://www.DiscoveryBay.com

Sure you'll have a little commute to and fro work, but once you get home there's no need to hook up the trailor, pile the kids in the car, and pull the boat through traffic to the water. Your boat will be sitting in your backyard on a hydro-hoist in the water. Therefore, you can go for a quick set before dinner, come back eat, then go out again for a dusk set. You can even get up early and take morning sets if you'd like.

Your house will be sitting in Discovery Bay on the delta. Your backyard will be some of the best water on earth. There's no need for private lakes. No lake can match the conditions of the delta no matter how private.

If you want to come out and check it out let me know. I can take you out on my boat and show you around.

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-12-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
i wish i still lived in Disco!!!
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2003, 11:31 PM Reply   
Mike, I live in Brentwood. Unless you need to live on the water this is a much better community than Disco Bay as far as schools and shopping. I am 10 minutes from Orwood launch ramp. If you keep the boat home and many lots will allow this you can save $$$. I store my boat in Bethal Island which is 15 mintes from home. I drive all over the bay area for work. Depending on the time of day your commte from Brentwood/Discovery Bay to Pleasanton will be 45-60 mnutes. The housing is much more affordable out here and you have hundreds of miles of water ways minutes from home. The Bay Area is one of the most expensive markets in the US and it just keeps going up. If you are moving here the sooner the better as the market seems to keep on going up.