Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    DocPhilMD            10-26-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
I currently own a Malibu 20 MXZ.

I love the boat but I am looking to get into a bigger boat.

My main two criterion are 1)bigger

2)better surf boat.

I was hoping for some valuable input outside of "that boat sucks, get this kind"

I am currently looking at a 2013 MB 23 WB, 2014 Tige Z3, 2014 LSV, and a MC X30

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-26-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
2014 Nautique 210 or 230?

Best

Bang

For

Buck!
Old    DocPhilMD            10-26-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
I am going to pass on the nautiques for a variety of reasons. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-26-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
2014 Nautique 210 or 230?

Best

Bang

For

Buck!
Take any post made by him with a grain of salt. Not that nautiques are bad. Most of his post are irrelevant or to stir the pot.
Old    DocPhilMD            10-26-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
I get it. I am on here for some useful advice. Things like resale, surf wave, manufacturer support are very important. I know nautiques are great boats. I just don't want to buy one for a variety of reasons.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-26-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
Demo demo demo. Set up each boat exactly like you would if it were your own. If you take 5 people out on the lake each time, then take 5 people to demo. This is just my opinion, but if I were in the market for a new boat I'd be demoing a G23, a 14 23LSV, a 14 x-star and a 24 MXZ.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-26-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
Is switching sides on the fly important for you? Budget?

If the first one is important and budget is not an issue, I'd take a close look at 2014 23 LSV and 2014 SAN 230.
Old    DocPhilMD            10-26-2013, 7:02 PM Reply   
I have already demoed a ton of boats and this is what I have narrowed it down to. Switching sides is not important.

Oh, also the Axis A24. those are the 5 boats I am looking at.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-26-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
I'm sorry I didn't see the boats you were looking at in your first post or I wouldn't have made suggestions. You have an MB in there . Not sure of you know about the new 22 they just came out with or not. Out of your list the MB and wakesetter would be a hard choice for me.
Old    DocPhilMD            10-26-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Chase, I do know about the new 22. It is supposed to be a good surf boat and I have actually been in one but I like the B52. It is tried and true and I like the boat.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-26-2013, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'd like to address the elephant in the room:

No physician uses "Dr" and "MD" in their titles...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-26-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
In all seriousness, if not the 210/230, then the X30.

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.
Old    DocPhilMD            10-26-2013, 7:42 PM Reply   
JetRanger. I appreciate the advice. Can you elaborate on the X30? I mean if you are going to offer some good advice, go ahead. If you are going to be obtuse and insulting, don't bother.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-26-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
These threads are so redundant while I understand what the op is asking (sort of) it will turn into a pissing contest and mine is bigger than yours and will end with telling the op to demo to find what works for him.
I think though if u are asking people to choose a boat for you then you may want to be a lot more specific about what you want ie storage, price range, fit and finish etc
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-26-2013, 8:37 PM Reply   
I rode the new x30 however and was extremely underwhelmed with the surf wake although it was a really nice roomy boat. It was good factory (as anything can be) but when we threw weight at it, it quickly turned to mush no matter what we did, and we had 10 people all sitting on one side. The new a24 looks like it's going to be the jam especially for surfing. Keep hearing the wakeboard wake is great too. I have one on the way!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-26-2013, 8:47 PM Reply   
Demo the X30. Fit and finish, ergonomics and surf wave will be best. Also best handling. Surf wake is world class.

Don't take my word for it. Demo them all.
Old     (dobber)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-26-2013, 9:47 PM Reply   
I thought you tried them all out already?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-26-2013, 11:16 PM Reply   
The surf wave turned to mush on an X-30 with extra weight? Surfing? I have a tough time understanding this. I have logged 200 hours on the new X-30 Hull and I can say that we have NEVER found the wave to turn to mush and it only gets BETTER with more weight. Better and better. The wakeboard wake is also very good with some extra weight. As everyone here has said, take one for a rip and set it up how you plan to set it up.

Here is are a couple surf pics and here was our wake today for our last ride of the season. Rider is 6'2" and speed is 22.3. I've been very happy with it.
Attached Images

Old    DocPhilMD            10-27-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
I know these threads are redundant and I'm sorry for posting something like this. I was hoping by giving specific examples of boats I am interested in I could avoid that. I suppose that was wishful thinking. Thanks for the MC pics and info though. that is very helpful. BTW, I demoed an X-10 and really like it. I suppose an X30 can basically be described as a bigger version of that?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yea I'm not sure what the problem was we had over 3000 lbs on the surf side and it just washed non stop. The wakeboard wake however was actually really really good reminded me of an x star with less lip
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-27-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
The surf wave turned to mush on an X-30 with extra weight? Surfing? I have a tough time understanding this. I have logged 200 hours on the new X-30 Hull and I can say that we have NEVER found the wave to turn to mush and it only gets BETTER with more weight. Better and better. The wakeboard wake is also very good with some extra weight. As everyone here has said, take one for a rip and set it up how you plan to set it up.

Here is are a couple surf pics and here was our wake today for our last ride of the season. Rider is 6'2" and speed is 22.3. I've been very happy with it.
Levi that wave looks pretty good! Is it as short as it looks in the pics tho or is it just that the pics were taken when the rider was up close? Do you have any pics that would better demonstrate length? What is your speed/setup?
Old    DocPhilMD            10-27-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any info on the A24? Or pics of the surf wake? I really don't like the interior and fit/finish of the axis but they seem to be improving.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       10-27-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
Yea I'm not sure what the problem was we had over 3000 lbs on the surf side and it just washed non stop. The wakeboard wake however was actually really really good reminded me of an x star with less lip
120 surfing hours on 2013 X30 this year. I don't know what you guys were doing wrong but it has a killer surf wave with and without tons of weight.

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-27-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
I wakeboarded behind an x30 last summer with 5 ppl in the boat with stock balladt filled and the wake was soft. Didnt boot me like a SAN or the x25.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-27-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
Who spilled peanut butter all over your boat???!!!?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-27-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimper View Post
120 surfing hours on 2013 X30 this year. I don't know what you guys were doing wrong but it has a killer surf wave with and without tons of weight.
Much better indication of length. What's your setup and speed?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-27-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Shawndoggy, it's hard to tell from those pics, but yes, the wave is actually long. You can also adjust the length and steepness with the wake plate. I don't have the surf tabs but people who have them say they really help shape the wave and MC has new tabs coming out this year. Overall for surfing this boat is top notch. Very easy to setup and very good for beginners to advanced riders. I've had beginners who have never dropped the rope in years drop it first ride behind this boat. The wave has a lot of push.

Ben R, Im not sure what speeds you were riding at but on the X-30, with just stock plus a few people the wake is actually better a little slower, at like 21 which is slow for advanced riders. The wakeboard wake doesn't get good till you add on some PNP bags in the rear. On the X-30, the more rear weight the better, and the plate has to be all the way up. 750's in the rear work nicely.

Here are a couple more pics of the wakeboard wake when nicely weighted.
Attached Images

Old    DocPhilMD            10-27-2013, 2:52 PM Reply   
I have a question about the Tige Z3. Do any of you guys feel the Tiges are cramped inside?

A 23 foot Tige seems much more cramped than an X30 or an LSV. True?
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-27-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
I actually noticed the cramping your talking about. It might just be how boxy the inside is but I defiantly felt the X-30 was bigger.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-27-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
Demo'd a 2014 LSV with others a few weeks ago (... like I'm in the Market lol). This is strictly regarding the surf wave, interior, motor, dash, and a few other odds n' ends.

Check out these thread if you're wanting some additional information/review:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800257
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...ed-out-review/
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...urf-gate-size/

Last edited by MCObray; 10-27-2013 at 3:31 PM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-27-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
I wakeboarded behind an x30 last summer with 5 ppl in the boat with stock balladt filled and the wake was soft. Didnt boot me like a SAN or the x25.

The X30 wakeboard wake changes dramatically with an additional 1000lbs added in the back. It likes rear weight, and really brings the wakeboard wake into it....

I felt the same way, the first time I rode it. After seeing 501s comments on rear weight, we changed our setup, and it made a world of difference. The X25 is a boat that takes very little weight to get a great wakeboard wake, and likes to be weighted evenly. Definitely different setups for those two boats.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-28-2013, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPhilMD View Post
I have a question about the Tige Z3. Do any of you guys feel the Tiges are cramped inside?

A 23 foot Tige seems much more cramped than an X30 or an LSV. True?
I have a RZ2 and some Friends have a Z3. It is noticeable larger inside. However the RZ4 seems noticeable larger than the Z3. The RZ2 as well as the Z3 both require the custom ballast bags to get that 20 foot long wave. I personally haven't surfed the Convex VX,but have seen video and it really shapes and lengthens the wave.The thing about Tige's is the Quality of the wave on both sides.If that doesn't make a difference to you then no advantage to Tige. All the boats you have mentioned make great waves. Some surfers like the ability to switch sides on the fly.Malibu and Nautique both have that feature. I used to own a Nautique and they make a Quality product. I've also ridden behind a MB and they make a very good wave too.I've never surfed behind a MC so no input there.The Malibu LSV i surfed behind made a great wave too. It will be a tough choice and only one you can make. Good Luck!
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       10-28-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
I had never surfed prior to buying my boat, but picked up a RZ4 this past year and quickly fell in love with it's surf wake. It's not as long as some others out there unless you've got a good bit of weight in the front, but it definitely throws some serious height and has good push. I usually go out with about 6-8 people and run 100% fill in the bow and rear (w/ deployable sack) and have the TAPS set around a 4 or 5 and it's probably mid-thigh to waist high on me (6' tall) and the pocket is probably a good 12' long. I don't have any pics of it right now, but I'll look when I get home to see if I can find any. I demoed the A22, G23, and wakesetter also, and for the fit/finish, room, storage, and quality vs. price I couldn't beat the Tige. I couldn't justify spending $25k+ more on the wakesetter or G23 since I'm just not a pro that demands that much out of a boat, and decided to pass on the A22 because by the time I spec'd it out like I wanted, I wasn't really saving that much money over the Tige and would still have to deal with fairly basic interior and lower resale values.
Old     (rnate450r)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-28-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
^^^^^Sounds like your Bu dealer wasn't working with you on pricing! The Axis should have been a significant difference in price.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-28-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Since you own a Bu already I would go with the new LSV. I would assume you have a good relationship with your dealer already so that is a big bonus. (I didn't read all the responses so disregard if this is not the case). I have multiple friends that have surfed behind the new LSV and they have nothing but good things to say about the surfwave. I surfed the 2013 LSV with the PnP full and was absolutely amazed at the surf wave.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       10-28-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnate450r View Post
^^^^^Sounds like your Bu dealer wasn't working with you on pricing! The Axis should have been a significant difference in price.
By the time I got the boat spec'd out with the ballast and stereo system that I wanted with the few other small things added, I was going to be looking somewhere around $70k, and it still wasn' t the color that my wife and I wanted. Plus the dealer was trying to rape me on my trade by offering me $10k less than trade-in book value. I could've probably lived with $2k less, but their offer was just insulting . Went over to the Tige dealer and they offered me over trade value cause they already had a buyer lined up for my old boat, and then knocked around $10k off sticker price. So I ended up with a boat that is a couple feet longer, nicer finishes, spec'd out like I wanted, in the color I wanted, with a better resale value than the A22, for under $80k out the door (not including trade). Plus Tige includes the service package with the purchase of the boat, only thing it doesn't cover is the winterizing/summerizing each season. The Wakesetter I was looking at was priced at $103k and I didn't really think it was that much nicer than the Tige, and again came back to the same problem I was having with the Axis.

Last edited by FastR3DN3K; 10-28-2013 at 1:38 PM.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-28-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastR3DN3K View Post
By the time I got the boat spec'd out with the ballast and stereo system that I wanted with the few other small things added, I was going to be looking somewhere around $70k, and it still wasn' t the color that my wife and I wanted. Plus the dealer was trying to rape me on my trade by offering me $10k less than trade-in book value. I could've probably lived with $2k less, but their offer was just insulting . Went over to the Tige dealer and they offered me over trade value cause they already had a buyer lined up for my old boat, and then knocked around $10k off sticker price. So I ended up with a boat that is a couple feet longer, nicer finishes, spec'd out like I wanted, in the color I wanted, with a better resale value than the A22, for under $80k out the door (not including trade). Plus Tige includes the service package with the purchase of the boat, only thing it doesn't cover is the winterizing/summerizing each season. The Wakesetter I was looking at was priced at $103k and I didn't really think it was that much nicer than the Tige, and again came back to the same problem I was having with the Axis.
Yeah..malibu seems to attract douche dealers...at least the one up here is..people stopped buying Malibus just because of the dealer....
Old    DocPhilMD            10-28-2013, 2:51 PM Reply   
I reallly like my dealer in michigan. Where are you?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2013, 3:39 PM Reply   
Nikolas. I probably know who you are talking (PWS?) about and you are right on. Unfortunately the local Master Craft dealer and Tige dealer are the same way.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-28-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
My Malibu/Axis dealer in Knoxville is great. I see him on the lake all the time. It sucks for you people with crappy dealers.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-28-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
Average physician wage in the US is like 230K/yr which is misleading considering it factors in interns. Count on on 300K/yr.

So why is cost an issue?
Old    DocPhilMD            10-29-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Average physician wage in the US is like 230K/yr which is misleading considering it factors in interns. Count on on 300K/yr.

So why is cost an issue?
Because I'm not going to spend half my yearly salary on a boat.

House, kids college funds, other toys, vacations, general life....

A boat is not my only expense
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:

honestly man ignore that guy, he really never has anything helpful or worthwhile to say. The more you respond to him the more he posts his garbage.
Old     (JetRangerThePoser)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-29-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
honestly man ignore that guy, he really never has anything helpful or worthwhile to say. The more you respond to him the more he posts his garbage.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-29-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
Quote:

Fair enough. What type quackery do you engage in? GP?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-29-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Fair enough. What type quackery do you engage in? GP?
No reason to be jealous just because he makes a decent amount of money... wakeboard discussion on boats not personal vendetta
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-29-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
No reason to be jealous just because he makes a decent amount of money... wakeboard discussion on boats not personal vendetta
If he's concerned about value and 20K I don't think he's ballin' like you think he is.

At any rate my question is valid. I need to submit my list to NRMP as match day is coming up in March and curious as to his specialty.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-29-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
If he's concerned about value and 20K I don't think he's ballin' like you think he is.

At any rate my question is valid. I need to submit my list to NRMP as match day is coming up in March and curious as to his specialty.
Just because you make that much doesn't mean you have to spend that much... Once you start making more money..you can spend it all in a hurry..
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-29-2013, 5:44 PM Reply   
People WITH money are smart and prudent. People that make money and throw it around are Ballers.When times get tough Ballers are in the gutter.People with money still have it when times get tough.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-29-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
People WITH money are smart and prudent. People that make money and throw it around are Ballers.When times get tough Ballers are in the gutter.People with money still have it when times get tough.
Hahaha Robert you are so old...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-29-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
Old and wise with lots of toys and going to retire at the end of the year.Hope you can do the same at my age.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-29-2013, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Old and wise with lots of toys and going to retire at the end of the year.Hope you can do the same at my age.
Oh Robert, will you ever win?
Old     (iamcdn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-29-2013, 8:40 PM Reply   
Quote:

Yes, super valid. Please include that in your personal letter on your residency application that a contributing factor to your decision was questioning all the docs on Wake World on what field they practiced...I thought you dropped out.
Old     (iamcdn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-29-2013, 8:56 PM Reply   
I guess in true WW form I should just suggest that you go demo the different specialties yourself and then make a decision
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-30-2013, 3:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Oh Robert, will you ever win?
I've already won grasshopper! The secret to life is............... Don't blink.................For it may pass you by my son.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-30-2013, 3:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcdn View Post
Yes, super valid. Please include that in your personal letter on your residency application that a contributing factor to your decision was questioning all the docs on Wake World on what field they practiced...I thought you dropped out.
Being facetious...as I mentioned his credentials are still to be determined.

No didn't drop out, will match in a general surgery program on the east coast.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-30-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
with a better resale value than the A22
Hmmmmmm not sure about that.
Old     (JetRangerThePoser)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-30-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Being facetious...as I mentioned his credentials are still to be determined.

No didn't drop out, will match in a general surgery program on the east coast.
Yeah - you mean you "hope" to match. Colorectal surgery is probably best for you - you should look in to it - literally.

Someone should put out a warning about Med Students from U MD applying for surgery residency - so they don't have someone walking around making rambling statements about boats.

You should be careful picking fights on random internet boards - you never know when someone sits on a selection committee . . .

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-30-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Hmmmmmm not sure about that.
He's looking at total dollars as opposed to percentage of purchase price.We know the Tige cost more than the A22. Just like the MC dealer will tell you they have higher resale.Yes they bring a higher amount back.You pay more than that difference to get the boat to start with.Not aimed at you Chatt. I know you understand the business.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-30-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRangerThePoser View Post
Yeah - you mean you "hope" to match. Colorectal surgery is probably best for you - you should look in to it - literally.

Someone should put out a warning about Med Students from U MD applying for surgery residency - so they don't have someone walking around making rambling statements about boats.

You should be careful picking fights on random internet boards - you never know when someone sits on a selection committee . . .

Picking fights? I'm providing social commentary.
Most know this by now...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-30-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Picking fights? I'm providing social commentary.
Most know this by now...
I am surprised you honored yournametheposer with a response. What's gotten into you?!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-30-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I am surprised you honored yournametheposer with a response. What's gotten into you?!
Gotta admire his commitment. Setting up an account, logging out of his normal account to access that one, seems like a lot of work.

I do respect his jealousy though, cause it's not me that think's I'm better than him, it's him that thinks I'm better than him.

I want to hear another of Robert's poems...I felt secondary embarrassment for him after reading the 1st one.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-30-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Gotta admire his commitment. Setting up an account, logging out of his normal account to access that one, seems like a lot of work.

I do respect his jealousy though, cause it's not me that think's I'm better than him, it's him that thinks I'm better than him.

I want to hear another of Robert's poems...I felt secondary embarrassment for him after reading the 1st one.
If I could add to your rep rating from this post, I would rep it up!