Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
I can't seem to get air when I charge in hard. Do I ollie at the top? Am I missing something?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2007, 11:56 PM Reply   
same here
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
get the wake as rampy as possible and lean back on your board so that you slow down then begin to pump then do a little bottom turn and then kinda ollie at the top. also a wider stance helps. and a more boant board.
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Just to give you a visual, what JPG spells out is pretty much the deal. Mark Sher, who rides backside, rides a very long pocket on and Enzo. In a different thread Mark states that he just gets speed and launches off the wake.

Another style, which is probably more prevelant, is the style that is discussed above. You want to start from the back of the pocket to generate the speed necessary to launch into the air. It's the combination of speed and the ollie that gives the greatest air.

It will take some practice, but what you want is about 2 or so pumps from the back of the pocket so that you can hit the lip with as much speed as possible, without drifting too much.

In this picture you can see that James is ripping up towards the lip.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
As mentioned you want that bottom turn to send you up towards the lip. The bottom turn does tend to scrub off some speed so, make it as quick and hard as you can. What you are wanting is to get the nose of the board as high as possible. This picture shows where James is just about ready to throw the ollie.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
Ok, well that WAS the ollie. I thought I had a better sequence...anyway...if you trace the gouge in the face of the wake, you can see the turn up and how James is olling the board. The ollie is mostly like on a skateboard. That is you get your air by bringing the nose up and then pulling your rear leg up finishing up by leveling off with your front foot.

If you look at this picture, you can see that both of James knees are bent - this is what allows the board to rise up in the air.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
Then land it. :-) As much as possible you'll want to try and land back into the face of the wake, landing too far up on the table makes it hard to recover. You can extend your legs a bit on the way down to help allow you to absorb some of the "hit" when you contact the water again.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
Practice aides. Ollie a skateboard until you wear the trucks out. :-) Jerry Price recommends the skateboard for many things like this. Chase Hazen and James both will say that the ollie in this trick is very similar to an ollie on a skateboard.

Another tip is to practice it with the rope. Cutting out and then blasting in to the wake can get you familiar with timing and doing the ollie, and the re-entry.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress!
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-21-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Yes I can ollie a skateboard pretty well( 1-1.5 feet)