Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
So this weekend is me and my girlfriends 6 month anniversery. Yeah I know, I am waiting to the last minute. I need some suggestions on Jewelry items to get her. I am thinking of getting her something pretty modest. Maybe a matching pendent necklase, earrings. Not sure if small diamonds are appropriate, pearls, etc....???? I have no idea. Just so you know We are both 30, so not some high school/college fling, and this is most likely going to be the girl that I am going to marry. What kind of help can you guys give me.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-30-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
Six months? How about a mop?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
this is most likely going to be the girl that I am going to marry
Get her a ring then.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Six months? How about a mop?
Sounds good to me. Not sure she would like it too much though.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-30-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
It was a joke Brett. Of course if you get her one and she doesn't leave you, you know you have a keeper!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
It was a joke Brett. Of course if you get her one and she doesn't leave you, you know you have a keeper!
I know and very true.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
Tiffany's is always a good bet in my lady's book. They have some pretty affordable stuff too if you aren't trying to break the bank. I almost forgot a gift for my fiance's birthday last month, and swung by Tiffany's at Bellevue square and grabbed something on my way home. The have
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-30-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Get her some fake roses and tell her they will last forever just like your love for her...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
6 monthaversary I don't know that a gift is in order but a nice dinner date probably is, maybe some flowers. I love giving gifts an may be guilty of leaning on that to much. Fact is most woman just want to be treated special and to be shown how much they matter to you. If you want to go the gift route, scour your brain there has to be something she has mentioned in passing that would show her you care enough to listen.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
I personally think a gift like that is a bit much for a 6 month anniversary. I also think a nice dinner is perfectly acceptable.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody. We have probably moved along a little faster then the typical 6 month relationship so that is probably why I was thinking about some modest jewelry. I was litterally thinking something like $100 necklace or a pair of $100 earrings or something. Something nice that she will wear but not crazy. That is why I am thinking even if they are cheaper diamond earrings are probably too much. I could go another way. She is hiking the grand canyon in a month or so and I could get her something from REI. Jsut not sure what is a good gift for hiking. I am not sure 100% what she has or needs as well. Gene Juarez gift card too impersonal?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-30-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
I wouldn't think you need to buy a gift for being together for six months either. I know I never did it for my now wife. As you said your not in highschool. Not saying your not allowed to get her something. Just don't think it's required. Does she need hiking shoes, poles, camel pack or something? Take her out to Wild Ginger. My wife and I love that place.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
I can't believe your asking wakeworld what to get your girlfriend.But jewelry always is good.How about a bracelet or a watch.Maybe even a necklace.Save the ring till your going to ask her to marry you.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
IMO, 6 months is worth celebrating because it likely means something good is happening. I think a nice evening out to celebrate makes the most sense. I worry that buying a "big" gift at 6 months seems rather desperate. Will she be buying you a gift too? If so, then you should reciprocate. Otherwise, I would keep it light and fun.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-01-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
6 monthaversary I don't know that a gift is in order but a nice dinner date probably is, maybe some flowers.
^ This. A gift just for 6 mos? Nice dinner, or spend the day doing something fun you don't do often or she has expressed an interest in, or do something/go somewhere you guys went early on and haven't done in a while. She'll likely appreciate the significance. I hate arbitrary expectations for gifts or things like that at odd times, I prefer the "just because" gift or activity every now and again when I'm feeling happy or generous. But then I'm single (and enjoying it) so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-02-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Remember, you are going to have to top it with every subsequent gift into purpetuity. Start small. Since you seem to be celebrating bi-annually, I suggest you start with a peppermint, and work up from there.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-02-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
New wakeboard - although it should wait until 1 year since 6 mos. isn't a real anniversary date.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-03-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
Acknowledge the event, and suggest a casual dinner out. Anything more reeks of desperation IMO. And, if she expects more than that, RUN.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-03-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
^^ Agreed. Spend the cash on a "special night out."
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-03-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
I suggest you start with a peppermint, and work up from there.

When my wife and I first started dating I had a booster seat made for her that matched the interior of my boat. She couldn't see over the bow when people were surfing or riding very well. She loved the gift!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Trace nailed it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-03-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Dinner and some nice flowers. Anything more is (IMO) too much for 6 months. Just take some time together to acknowledge that you've really enjoyed her company. That should do it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-03-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. We ended up heading out to my families summer cabin on puget sound for a nice relaxing weekend together. We went for a nice 4.5 mile hike(she is getting ready to hike the grand caynon) Saturday morning, watched UW throttle Utah and then went out to a nice dinner that evening. I also got her some backpacking/hiking essentials for her Grand Canyon Trip. She wasn't really expecting more then nice weekend, just the 2 of us, and a romantic dinner together. She was really surprised about the hiking gear and really loved it. I think you were all right., any kind of jewelry is a little over the top/desperate at this point. Everything went really really well as is and I even ended up with tickets for us to go to a Seahawks game. Hopefully the Ravens don't kick their butt too bad.

Thanks

Brett
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Good on you buddy.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-03-2011, 3:01 PM Reply   
Give her a pearl necklace.