Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Anderson109)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-06-2014, 1:19 PM Reply   
Hello, I'm looking to bring the white back out on my boat again. Its not bad where its a different color or anything, however you can notice some sun wear on it. I've been using my buffer with some Wizards auto products on it that has helped a little bit, but I am wondering what is the best cut buffer to use on it and the best product to apply. Just want that fresh bright white back! Thank you!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-06-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
Here is a thread that grant did awhile back. He went into pretty good detail over what he did from what I remember.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796397
Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-06-2014, 7:42 PM Reply   
im a refinisher by trade iv did a lot of show car polishing in my day and polished boats as well you need to use a cutting compound to get that top layer stain out ,a good product is by 3M a white cutting cream.use a good air or electric buffer at 2200 rpm and move the buffer slowly across a 2ft by 2ft area just dont get the area to hot. then use a polish on the buffer 3M blue but buff at a slower speed it takes some work but the results are great.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
Before I spent a great deal of time and effort with a buffer, I would try some hull cleaner first. If your white is stained, nothing will make it bright white quicker and easier than hull cleaner. You can get it at Walmart for about 8 dollars. Actually, I would do this first even if you intend to buff afterward.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
If it is stained (ex. from boating in dirty water, letting boat sit in water overnight?) like Jman says, I have used FSR in the past, it works great. Then put on a good coat of wax afterwards. Your local marine store should have it. I got mine at West Marine.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct_ad&type=pla

I also used a bleach bathroom cleaner on an old I/O that I had with white gelcoat, not sure if it was the right thing to do? But worked at the time.

If it is oxidized from sun, use Robert's approach. Only reason I chime in, I thought I had oxidation and the gelcoat was actually stained from dirty water.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
The stuff at Walmart is called Shoreline Hull Cleaner. It is the same thing as the Starbright Hull Cleaner at about half the cost. Just be sure to read the directions and be careful not to mess up your trailer paint. I just use gloves and apply it with a sponge followed by a thorough rinse. It works like magic.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
I used performance boat candys solution. Was a three step process for me may only be a 2 step for you. Used a harbor freight polisher. The guys at performance were really good going over stuff with me and what to do. My project turned out great.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
Hey check out YouTube channel called auto geek. It's a detail paint restoration how to site that also sells the products they demonstrate. After watching some of their videos I determined that I am a total rookie and that technology has come a long way in the paint restoration field. There are much more high-tech polishes and compounds now. Some of the before and after work big show is amazing.

With that said I'm in the market for a new festool polisher( shinex) $500
And when you add in the pad and the compounds that go with it i'm sure you'll be getting close to 800 bucks. Not a cheap expense for the guy that just wants to polish car. But if you have several vehicles starts to make sense
Old     (Anderson109)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-07-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for all the options all I really appreciate it. "G" i didn't watch the video yet, but i purchased a DeWalt buffer that comes with the wheel but not the pads a year ago and it was only $250. Just thought I could refer you to that if it is maybe the same thing I'm not sure but it works great! Once again thanks for all the info I'm going to get to work on this thin before it warms up here in NoDak!