Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    david_fletcher            04-16-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have heard rpm workd better, but how do you get the boat to plane out fast?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-16-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
You don't want the RPM based PP. The MPH works far better for wakeboarding.

B-
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
Actually, Pro has both
Old    david_fletcher            04-16-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
ya I have digital pro with both. Which is better rpm or mph. If mph how do you get it to plane fast.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
David, Not sure what you mean about PP and getting to plane fast. Depending on how much weight you run/ prop pitch/ engine size/ boat size/ weight distribution it may take a bit to get on plane. I am no pro diver… but with my PP I just start a set like I did pre-PP and as I get up to 22 I feather back on the throttle and PP takes over the speed.

Maybe someone with Dig Pro PP can explain the extra features and if they help with getting on plane faster. I have driven boats with Dig Pro and WB cruise and the only difference I noticed was you can set the speed (DP) before you start and you hear a beep when you get to speed.

I think the RPM based models are more suited for comp skiing when running the course. Most of the Lake Samm crew here in WA run speed based PP.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-16-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
David, I have wakeboard pro and you want to use mph not rpm. when in speed mode it will hold the speed a lot closer than rpm will. As far as geting up on plane it is just like driving with out it you turn it on set your speed on the display and throttle just like you would if it was not on and when it gets to about one or two mph of set speed it beeps and takes over for you. Thats all there is to it
Old    patrick_adams            04-16-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro work the same way. Getting on plane is not a function of PP.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-16-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
David:

For wakeboard speeds, MPH mode works MUCH better. In addition, it allows you total control of the hit (getting on plane).

In RPM mode, the speed control takes over once the engine has reached the set speed, which for wakeboard speeds means that your boat is no where near the desired speed when the RPM set point is reached.

In MPH mode, the speed control doesn't take over until you are within 0.5 MPH of the set speed. You can it" any way you like, just as if the speed control wasn't on. Note, however, that it is up to you to make sure that you don't overshoot your speed. If you floor it and leave it there you will end up shooting through your desired speed and the speed control will take a long time to bring it back down.

Another reason that you want to use MPH mode is that it will do a much better job of holding the desired speed. With RPM control the engine will turn a constant speed, but that will not translate into a constant boat speed, especially when the weight and balance of the boat changes.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
Jeff,

There are a lot of extra features to Pro, most of them though are not useful for wakeboarding (i.e. KX, PX numbers, trick, jump, slalom settings, etc.)
Old    erlingl            04-16-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
how much does it cost after everything is said and done
Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-17-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
You can get cruise for 675!
Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-17-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
...take it back, I had to run out and buy a wire guide in order to fish the wires under the floor! that was 25 bucks and sealer was a buck...so under 700, you can be riding with perfect speed!