Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-11-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
looking for a james walker signature model. im fine with a used.

what are the differences in his boards. ex. signature and the f-18?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-11-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
The F18 is a beginner to intermediate board. The Signature has a more aggressive shape and rocker. It is quicker rail to rail and drives out of turns to generate the speed needed for getting air.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
Not sure if I'd say the F18 is beginner in any way, I know intermediates that have a hard time riding it but running aggressive fins (3/2/1 scim). Between it and my jwsm, the F18 is more forgiving and a tad slower, less aggressive (same fins). Both are very advanced boards and a blast. Very weight sensitive, so the guidlines are pretty good.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-12-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Just my 2 cents:

the JWSM is very sensitive to weight (at least the one I had was) and work to ride. I really like my Flyboy and Towanza Ruthless (also made by TWP for Towanza) much better. All are great boards but these two are much more foregiving (Flyboy is lighter and Ruthless is heavier).
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-12-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
how big are yall and what length boards are you riding now?

i ride a 4'2'' LF custom. im 5'10'', 185.

im looking for a board that is a bit more aggressive so i can get speed to jump but also small enough that i can control it and be able to cut, shred it.

is there another board that is comparable to the JWSM? like rides the same?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-12-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
I am 5'7" , 155lbs. The best board I have ridden is the Fly Boy by far (i did have a JWSM for 3 mos). I am sure the JWSM is great but it just not the board for me.

FYI - the guy that built the Fly Boy is the guy that the JWSM is named after
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-13-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
so the flyboy and JWSM are different, correct?
what is the difference in the boards?
it looks like you cant buy flyboy right now.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
The Walker Project Signature and the James Walker Flyboy by Inland Surfer are definitely different. the construction of the boards is totally different. The Flyboy is a sandwich construction making it way lighter and strong. Also the shapes are different: rocker, outline, rail shape, thickness, ect.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-14-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
i wish i had a way to demo them. im having trouble in houston finding places that carry "high end" surf boards. or i wish i knew some guys around that had them i could go out with. hint hint
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
John, fly out to California and come to the West Coast Wakesurf Open and try out everything
There are people coming from as far as Vermont and Florida

But yeah, it is definitely to just see pictures and read manufactures generic descriptions that all say "fast, lightweight, best board EVER!" and make a decision on boards that cost as much as they do. Luckily there are discussion boards like this where people can give their real life experience about boards and other equipment.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-14-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
Inland still doesn't have James board listed for sale. Does anybody know when it's going to be available and how much it will cost?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
James' board will be between $799 and $899.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-16-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
will the IS version be the same as the flyboy version?
Old    surfdad            05-16-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
I got an email from Jeff P, he and Lance were at the factory, I THINK, last week and reported that the production of James' board is rolling along. I will have one of the final production boards this week and most likely will have it over at the CMS tent/area during the Supreme/CMS West Coat Wakesurf Open for folks that would like to take a look. Jeff P also indicated that he will have a bunch of the boards shipped air, so they should be at retailers within a few weeks.

Mitch talked about the Keenan model in a separate thread, that board uses the same construction as James model. The weight, of the James' IS Flyboy model with traction and fins should be right at 5 pounds +/- maybe 3 oz for normal manufacturing variances. This is the same as weight as the original Flyboy.

The construction of the the IS Flyboy division model and the original FlyBoy Wakesurf board will be identical with some minor exceptions. That is, composite sandwich with carbon fiber wrapped rails. One difference is between metric and US measure. So while the original FlyBoy used 1/8" thick high density structural foam for the external sandwich layer, the IS Flyboy will use 3mm thick HDSF skins. The difference is something stupid like 2/1000'ths. So in that area, there is no material difference.

Graphics are different.

Traction between the two boards is different, IS uses it's own traction across the various boards.

The only appreciable difference will be in the fin boxes. All dimensions, angles, size, shape, positioning and basic material are the same between both boards, but IS uses the mini-tuttle boxes, whereas the original FlyBoy used Futures boxes. The fins used in James model will interchange with all IS models that use the mini-tuttles to give them toe-in and cant, previously unavailable in IS boards.

When I get the production board this week, I'll post top and bottom pictures.
Old    surfdad            05-17-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
I swiped these pictures from Jeff P's Facebook album. I also got the Fedex tracking email yesterday, so one is on the way to us, as of yesterday.
Attached Images

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-17-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
cool. thanks. i hope one is coming to the houston area. i really want to try it out.
Old    surfdad            05-18-2011, 7:31 PM Reply   
I got the production board today and took a few pictures, then also took some pictures comparing it to an original FlyBoy Wakesurf board. The original FlyBoy was spec'ed to weigh 5 pounds with fins and traction, they varied between 5 lbs even and 5 lbs 8 oz. The Inland Surfer Flyboy Division board weighs in at 5 pounds 7.3 oz. Mark Sher has told me that after the first two or so off the assemble line, they'll drop a little bit of weight, but it's consistent with the original FlyBoy Wakesurf boards weight.

If I get it in sequence right, you should see an Original Flyboy, the scale reading at 4 pounds 10 oz, which is without fins, but includes traction and then the Inland Surfer Flyboy Division board at 4 pounds 15 oz again sans fins but with traction.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-18-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
The original FlyBoy Wakesurf boards used Futures fins and I took a crappy picture, but they weigh 8.4 oz, the Inland Surfer speedline fins weigh 8.7 oz
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-18-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
I use this rocker bed to make all the prototypes from which the original FlyBoy Wakesurf Boards were model and you can see the rocker matches up. The single concave is the most aggressive that Inland has ever produced.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-18-2011, 7:37 PM Reply   
Lastly some pictures going around the board.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-19-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
I'm at 200. I'm not sure that I would say I rip, but I'll get a chance to ride the board and post some pictures so that you can compare our wake and the way I ride to see if it fits in with your idea of "ripping".
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-19-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
I guess the thing is my brother is slightly over 200. I'm 185. We want to get a great board for us both to use. I was planning on going with the TWP Signature, thinking the Flyboy may have us both at the upper range of the weight limit on that board. I have an older Hazen model Shredstixx board and I am too heavy to really use it as intended. I don't want that to happen again, to either me or my brother.
Old    surfdad            05-19-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
Yeah I hear you. I'd think your brother at slightly over 200 is probably pushing it for this board, you'd do fine though. I'd have to recommend that you look for something bigger so that you both can ride it, well.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-19-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, appreciate the honesty.