Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
So when it rains it pours. Yesterday my commuter car broke down on the way home from work. Got it towed to a shop and had a new distributer put in. I'm back on the road...a little lighter in the pocket...but back on the road.

This morning my wife gets into her 2000 Durango and it won't start. There juice on the battery. When you turn the key all you get it "tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic" real fast. Is this a starter problem? I'm a handy guy, but not a mechanic by any means. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
When my 1999 Durango would click like that it was always the battery. Bring the battery to an auto parts store and have them test it and it will likely be the battery. Are the internal lights coming on or are they dim?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
I have 12 volts on the battery. The radio, power windows and everything work fine. I guess, taking the battery down and having them test it is cheap and easy to do. There is some corrosion on the terminals but not that bad. Maybe I'll try to clean them up first and try again. If that doesn't do it, I'll take it the auto store and have them test.

I would think that if the battery was getting low, that it would still try to turn over but just wouldn't start. This thing doesn't even attemp to turn over.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-28-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
BATTERY OR LOOSE CONNECTIONS/CORRODED AT BATTERY
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-28-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
what he said
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Cleaned the terminals and reconnected. There was some corrosion, but wasn't that bad. Still doing the same thing.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
How old is the battery? Have you ever put a new battery into the SUV? If it's the original battery when the SUV was purchased brand new, I agree with everyone else, it's the battery.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Not sure how old it is. I've never replaced it since I've owned it. Maybe a 1 1/2 years now. I'm going to take it down the auto store and have them test it.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Yup, battery. I have a 2003 Ram that has had the same problem twice. First time was a new battery, second time was a loose connection at the terminal.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
I took the battery to the auto store. It was a little low on fluid, but he filled that up, and checked the battery out. It was good. I replaced and still having the same problem.
Starter problem???
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       09-28-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Sounds like the starter. If the battery is good and it is still doing the tic the only other thing is the starter.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       09-28-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
There is a way to test the starter. If you can get to the starter there are 2 terminals on it. If you take a screw driver and run it across both and it turns over then the starter is fine. If it tics then the starter is toast.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
FYI, it will spark when you do this^^^^^
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Okay so this will show my ignorance. I'm fine with doing that, where is the starter located. I'm gonna say it's on the under side of the car. If it does start, can I just replace the solenoid?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-28-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
It's going to be under the motor on a side. Probably the battery side. Yes, you can replace just the solenoid but you probably have to remove the starter to get to the solenoid off.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Dang!!!!!!!! I replaced the starter and it's still doing to same thing. I'm thinking maybe buy a brand new battery. If that does it, put the old starter back in and return the new one. No sense in spending 110 bucks for no reason. Right? Or should I just leave the new starter in? Not sure what else to do at this point.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-28-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
Try to jump it from another battery if it starts then it's your battery. The rapid ticking is almost always a sign of low voltage or amperage. Check the cables all the way from battery to starter/grounds.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Dam Dude. I tried to jump it from another car. No go. Even tried to totally remove the cables from the Durango and put them directly to the jumper cables. Still wouldn't start.

I sent the wife to Kragen, gonna try to replace the positive battery cable that runs directly to the Starter. And put new connectors and battery terminal connector on it. Not sure what else to do at this point.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
I bet it's the cables. Replace both hot and ground. It could be either.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
Yep, finally got around to replacing the ground cable and it's purring again.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I really appreciate it. Kind of funny how I came to WW for car help instead of some crappy car site.

Again thanks to everyone for their input and thanks to everyone that peeked in and didn't input because someone already had with the same idea. Really, really appreciate everyone. You guys ROCK!!!!