Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            08-31-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
It looks like the Cubs are trying to take over the Waveyard property... I saw this on AZ Central this morning. I bet the Cubs end up with it. I doubt the Waveyard guys will be able to raise the money, I know they lost two of their biggest investors.

Cubs eye Mesa's Waveyard site for spring-training complex

A WATER PARK
The centerpiece of the Waveyard development is an expansive water park that developers say would attract 1 million people in its first year. The outdoor recreation would include a man-made white-water river for kayaking and rafting, a wave pool for surfing, a large sandy beach, a scuba shack and a diving and snorkeling lagoon, plus a canyoneering area.

B RESORT
A 400-room resort-level hotel would include themed restaurants and a resort atmosphere that would “remove people from everyday life.” A nearly 3-acre indoor water park featuring slides and a lazy river is planned for guests of the resort.

C RETAIL/RESIDENTIAL
European-themed architecture and 10-story buildings would contain high-end retail stores, office and other commercial space. Residential units, including condominiums are also planned. About 5 acres would be dedicated to resort villas. Urban streetscapes, open plazas, shaded courtyards and boardwalks are planned to line the park’s water features.

D OFFICE/ RESIDENTIAL
A mix of 315 office and residential units are planned on 9 acres in the eastern portion of the resort.

E RIVERVIEW PARK
The 25-acre Riverview Park would be reconfigured as part of the development. Supporters say it wouldn’t shrink the size of the park and wouldn’t impede on a lake stocked with fish and the park’s playground equipment. SOURCES: Google Earth; Waveyard LLC
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
Sam, that's funny because I just saw an article on this yesterday as well. Yeah, it looks like the Cubs are going to have it and the Waveyard will most likely not happen. I'm mad that I ever got my hopes up. Someone needs to put up a smaller scale cable park here. If anyone has a brain, they would have already done it. There's not may places you could run a cable park for 12 months out of the year.
Old    SamIngram            08-31-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
I think they should do it on Tempe Town Lake.
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-31-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
they broke ground for a cable park in AZ. i guess it's some kind of liquidforce training ground.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
^^^^Exactly! As soon as they re-fill it
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Oops, I was pointing at Sam's post
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       08-31-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
where did they break ground for this cable park??
Old    SamIngram            08-31-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
There have been stories about a supposed cable park down by Casa Grande and other areas in Pinal County for years, but in this economy there is no way in hell that anyone would finance a cable park. The only way one will be built is if a City decides to do it or someone pays cash for one.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Sam, thanks for volunteering!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-31-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
chime back in patch- what facts do you know on this LF deal?
I still cant believe after wakelab that Tempe wouldnt be interested in a revenue building operation SO close to ASU aimed directly at that age group. They already have the most expensive part completed (minus the epic failure recently.) Is it liability insurance that would be a huge hindrance for Tempe? the cost of what's needed for a true facility?

Last edited by wakeandsnow27; 08-31-2010 at 6:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-31-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
I'm not exactly sure but i did hear that they broke ground right next to wet n wild.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
because the cubs are sooooo good, and have won many world series.,..., they need it to get better. ha....... my favorite team, but no training facility could help.+
I know some of the waveyard financial backers have pulled out, no money no waveyard. I know there was talks of another cable park........thats all i have.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-01-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Who would I contact on the Tempe city council to propose the idea of a cable park on Tempe Town Lake? I think I'm going to write them a formal letter.
Old    SamIngram            09-16-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
The Latest News!

It looks like Mesa might pursue both on the same site!!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
scaled back... hmm. please dont eliminate the cable park.