Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
so i was wondering what makes wetsounds louder than something like this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...air?sku=600550
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
sorry bad example:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...net?sku=601212
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Could you imagine those hanging down from a tower. Even if the sound did compare the looks don't even come close. I love my 3 some set up. The sound,quality and customer service is top notch.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
i know wet sounds are sweet but if you could make a custome box for something louder and cheaper than why not. i have a vlx and i was thinking about mounting some speakers ontop of the tower or do some micky mouse ears on the other board racks
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
If it was that easy every one would do it. If you are on a budget then yes you could save some money. It is not easy to build a custom enclosure fiberglass etc. You could create a better sound then regular car audio. I don't think you would get a sound that would compare to Wet Sounds though. Kicker has some low cost HLCD's available that supposed to be a good bang for your buck.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
it was just a thought, thanks for the responses
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Not to mention that those speakers weigh a ton. I don't think the tower will like those speakers mounted to it for very long.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-01-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
Kickers low cost solution are not HLCD if your refering to the KMT6's 99launch. They do have some HLCD's coming out but they are not exactly low cost.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
I thought they were already out . When I said low cost I guess that was missleading but they are supose to be lower cost then other HLCD's correct?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-02-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_slaunch View Post
I thought they were already out . When I said low cost I guess that was missleading but they are supose to be lower cost then other HLCD's correct?
I'm guessing you are referring to the new Kicker KM6500.2 tower setup. They do not come loaded in enclosures, so when 2 pair of tower enclosures are purchased, the price is right in line with other 6-7 in HLCD's. The KM6500.2 are not intended to be an entry level tower speaker setup, and in my opinion, they will stand with others in that price and size range.

They hope to be shipping later this month. What makes them so great, it that they are perfect for so many boat owners out there with 6.5" in-boat speakers in factory or aftermarket cans, that are looking to upgrade their sound but keep the cans. For those doing a ground up install, the KM6500.2's can drop in most aftermarket enclosures with maybe a little mod to the opening.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-02-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Don't forget that those yamaha's use all paper woofers. Not marine grade stuff. They would absolutely crank and possibly a ton more bang for the buck, but, ws, bullet hlcd's, nvs's and the rest are made for what we are using them for. (hanging from a tower in wet conditions and all year outdoor use)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-02-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Michael,

I'm sure those large 12-inch Yamaha speakers are really loud. But you can't put that type of weight on a tower without fatiguing the joints, even if you constructed something custom.

That 12-inch woofer will only perform in a massive bass-reflex enclosure and would sound horrific if you try and use it in a more compact enclosure that would be fitting for a tower.

It requires layers and layers of knowledge to design and refine a truly balanced HLCD tower speaker (like the WetSounds Pro485 for example). Piecing together a mix of off-the-shelf parts doesn't come close. It would be easy to create loud on a peaky basis but building good or even tolerable quality of sound is another matter.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-02-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
I mentioned the kickers because he was talking about making his own enclosure. That would keep the cost down a little.
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Im not sure if the information is still out there but at one time on this site someone had made a homemade HLCD system similar to the NVS's. I followed the tutorial myself on my old boat and they were extremely loud. I did the best i could for enclosures but someone with fiberglass skills could prolly do awesome work. The ones i made were just as loud as the wetounds, but just didn't have the full range of sound the wetsounds have. I bought all the parts from a speaker store online and for around 500 bux I had a HLCD system that would blast even at rider length. I have the wetsounds 3some on my new boat tho and they are awesome as well. Here is a pic of the old system...
Attached Images

Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-02-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
That looks pretty clean for a home made HLCD set up.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
thank you everyone for the responses, i have been just looking for another project to start. this rout just seems to reach out of my budget