Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a speaker they can run a simple test on for me? I'm having trouble getting a straight answer... Can you tell me if you can measure continuity across the speaker at the plug? I have several people telling me I should be able to, and several telling me I shouldnt be able to.. I dont have a Pro485 to test that is not in question. Can someone help me out?
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
absolutely you should be able to measure that and it should read ~4 ohm. I don't have a 485 speaker to do it on but that doesn't change anything, you should see that resistance if not somethings disconnected inside and the speaker won't play at least not correctly
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
out of curiosity who told you that you can't???
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
a wet sounds rep told me the internal circuitry wouldnt allow you to measure across the speaker... the same reason a crude "popper" tool couldnt make the speaker pop.. I dont think he was a wet sounds engineer though..
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
subscribe
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
UNvisible,

With an ohm meter you can read DCR (DC resistance). If you have a cap in series for some you will not be able to read the DCR as the cap will not pass the DC. The 485 has a extensive crossover network so many times the basic ohm meters cannot pass the DC. So you will not get a reading. The overall average impedance of the 485 is 4 ohms.

Also, Impedance is freq dependant and a speaker is not a purely resistive load. Impedance changes with frequencies. And the overall impedance is a combination. Truly measuring the overall impedance taking into account inductive and capacitive resistance is very complex. You can measure each driver for DC resistance. But, This will still just give you DC resistance.

I think that is what they were referring to.

Let me know anything else we can do from our end

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
Looks like i'm getting this sorted out. Wet sounds customer service is unmatched. I'm a happy camper. I guess that's why I've bought so many of their products!
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Also, you can "pop" the speaker, you just have to reverse the polarity or touch the speaker wires back together to do it a second time. I cannot guarantee that this wont do any harm to the crossover though.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
interesting point hunter...... my speakers definitely do just that....I can pop them one time with a popper, and i have to reverse the polarity to do it again..