Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2017, 1:54 PM Reply   
I just started this year and I'm always interested in learning from people with experience.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-05-2017, 6:08 AM Reply   
I started last year. Spent a lot time sitting in a stand. Ended up eating my dear tag at the end of the season so not sure I would be much help
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-05-2017, 6:15 AM Reply   
Ha! I have two more weeks before I'll be having Tag Soup!

Where are you hunting?

I'm hunting on land which has homes a few hundred yards away, so a bow shot would be best, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever dropped a deer with a .22. It would be ideal given the proximity to homes and the accuracy of this particular rifle. My fear is it runs off and I can't find it.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2017, 9:22 AM Reply   
If you're concerned about the bullet traveling too far, have you considered using a shotgun with slugs? Nearly the entire southern half of MN as well as other parts of the midwest are shotgun/slug only. I'd go this route well before trying to drop a deer with a .22.

Last edited by fish6942; 10-05-2017 at 9:24 AM. Reason: ..
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-05-2017, 11:55 AM Reply   
I don't know of any state that is legal to deer hunt with a .22. it doesn't have the power to be a proficient deer rifle. It will kill a deer with a good shot, but the margin of error is too small.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-05-2017, 12:09 PM Reply   
head shot would work, but again not legal for game.

get your bow game strong. when i was shooting regularly, I felt confident taking a 60 yard shot.

Can you improve the property or is it public land?
Close home proximity can be a good thing as it will create some natural funnels and barriers you can use to your advantage. Won't help you much this year, but tagging a big buck is all about nutrition. (Doe are tasty too!) Supplements (minerals, etc), food plots, water sources and natural foraging zones will keep deer in an area and obviously help them fully develop. I'm pretty sure you can't put a deer "feeder" out in CA, but there are other ways to get it done. Plant some chestnut trees if you can.

Bedding areas (doe and buck are separate) also will help hold deer in the area.

Can you take down trees? will open up the canopy and let undergrowth develop providing a year round food supply. Hinge cutting trees will help create bedding areas.

biggest enemy to a deer hunter is the wind. you always want wind in your face so they can't pick up your scent. I've seen deer walk in a big circle trying to pinpoint my location using wind. you need several stands (preferably up off the ground) so you can hunt no matter which direction it's blowing. don't fall for scent lock suits or expensive detergents. they don't work.

keep your hunting gear in a plastic tote with native trees cuttings. will help mask foreign odors. never take your camo in the house unless season is over. wash it once and put it back in the tote.

seeing any sign where you're hunting? tracks, droppings, etc. gotta make sure they're around before you commit to sitting hours in the stand. although, there's nothing more peaceful than watching the sun come up from a deer stand!

I'll think of more later. Happy Hunting!

Last edited by denverd1; 10-05-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-06-2017, 7:41 AM Reply   
I hunt here. No houses within a mile or so. Deer tracks everywhere and a large river behind me. Can't believe I didn't even see one. I will keep plugging away though. our season doesn't start until November and is only 2 weeks long for rifle though.
Attached Images