Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-15-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I can't remember seeing this being posted before, but sorry if it has.

I've never ridden behind the new xstar hull and want to know how it differs from my 205v. I understand how the new one has more room on the inside and all that, but I just want to know about the wake compared to the 205v. I'm guessing it's not as steep as the 205v because of the boat's width, but I don't really know.

I'm not looking for a debate at all, just physical differences. I run about 2500lbs of water evenly in my 205.

Thanks.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-15-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
The new star needs right around 3k to make a sick wake. Its got lots of up and like the 205v is very thick and has a lot of meat to it, definately easy to push against. Its much wider than the 205v and I've found it to be very user friendly. I love em both. Its just a pain to run all that weight.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-15-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
I have only been behind the new X-Star one time, and it was wider, more rampy, and less of a lip at the top, but it was bigger than what I'm use to behind my 05 X-2, which is the same hull as yours.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-15-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
Thanks man. So are you saying that it can be very similar, just wider? Given enough weight that is?
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-15-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
I'm the kind of guy that likes less ramp and more up like the 205. Are you guys thinking that the new one can get like that? Or is it more of a ramp no matter what?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-15-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
If you want less ramp and more lip at the top, then you will need a lot of weight in the new X-Star. Its easier(less weight)to get that kick at the top in our hull. The only term to describe it is "meatier". It will get huge, you can get a lip at the top, and it will be wider from wake to wake, and cleaner a lot farther back, but to get it that way, you will be putting a lot of weight in it.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-15-2006, 11:29 PM Reply   
As a pro Boathoe,the new xstar lacks that snap the 205v has(just the ones I have been on). It has a much longer transition than the 205v. The wake would seem like a soft 205v that is nose heavy. Real nice but I perfer the 205v(dirty O.G Xstar)

I think its a ramp always kinda like a 00'bu and a 205v mix

(Message edited by whitie on November 15, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
Good information here.

So far I agree. The new xstar needs a LOT more weight to produce a killer wake like the 205V. The wake is great once it's slammed, but still, maye not quite as tall and lippy as the 205.

The xstar can also turn into a pig once you get it slammed. We had one dumped last season. Even with the big Cadillac motor, it still took a good 1/8 mile or more to get up on plane and settle. I had a lot of fun riding it though.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-16-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot guys. This is all good to know. I think it's kind of funny that if I had all the money in the world to buy a wake boat, I'd still go with the X1.

I couldn't be happier with my boat. Not a lot of gadgets, but the bare bone setup is almost a point of pride for me. Being able to say that I have a Corvette engine in my boat is always fun too. One day I'll have some wrap around seating....
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-16-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
If you plan on running that much weight all the time...definately re-prop the boat. You will save on gas and time planing.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Jeffrey, are you saying your next boat will have wrap-around, or are you planning a seating mod on your 99? Now that would be an interesting project.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       11-17-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
I want to have a good wake, but I don't want to have a ballast system installed in my boat ontop of the stock system. Where should I place fat sacs (these of which I would fill from a pump over the side of the boat) inside the boat and how much weight should I use? We have an 03 X2 and a picture is available in my profile.
Thanx in advance
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-18-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
I have an 05 X-2. After the factory ballast is full, you might try one sac in the bow walkway, and two in the back storage areas on each side of the engine. Fill the front all the way and fill the back two to fill up the empty space around the hard tanks. Then you can pump in or out of the hard tanks in back to fine-tune. BTW, go with 3 or dont go at all. I put two in once and it did not make it that much better for the hassle...