Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-17-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
What exactly is a blended 3stage rocker? Is it the same as a hybrid 3 stage?
And how are the pop,speed,edging,overall performance of the blended 3 stage rocker? Thanks
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
A 3 STAGE THAT HAS THE ENDS BLENDED SMOOTHLY TO THE CENTER OF THE BOARD. not as abrupt a angle as a true 3 stage and not a continous arc like a continous rocker. what board are you asking about? if you tell us what board others can give you more input.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-17-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Big Country, the truth is that these subjective descriptors do a poor job of explaining what is going on under your feet. Blended/ Subtle/ Mellow / etc may mean that it doesn't have a flat spot or it may mean that it only kicks at the ends--I don't know. You really need to set the board on a flat surface and take a look at it to see what is going on.

On a darker note, since blended/ mellow/ subtle are all marketing terms--don't think that they are not used as marketing tools too. If you have 3 boards in your line, one is continuous and one is 3 stage what is the third board going to be? Probably agressive continous, subtle 3 stage or some variation. Is it slow and bucky or quick and nimble--who really knows.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-17-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Hybrid three stage, abrupt continuous, blended three stage, hybrid rocker...more or less the same thing, involving a bit of continuous rocker through the middle with a more abrupt kick up at the tip and tail. Every board company says it works, and plenty of pro riders use it, so I guess it doesnt hold you back, but as far as the actual benefit goes, hopefully some people can chime in and let you know. The idea is that there is no flat spot, so you have a faster board, but the extra kick in the tip and tail gives you the three stage pop, so the best of both styles.
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-17-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Well i was looking at getting a 2011 byerly monarch ,but i have never messed with anything with a blended 3 stage rocker,so i thought i would get updated on it ,thanks for the ifo ,keep it coming if you know anything else on it, and what are your thoughts on the byerly monarch as far as pop, control,edging, just all around performance.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-17-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
The monarch is a great shape. I rode it for a year. It is very quick across the water and its width through out gives it very good pop. It is a very versitile board, The only complaint I have ever recieved was that is was a little loose.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
i also have ridden a monarch. it was loose to me but had very good pop. i think if i rode one today i wouldn't think it was as loose. once you have ridden a loose board a couple of sets you get used to it quickly.
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-17-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
How would you compare the Byerly Monarch to the Hyperlite Murray
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-17-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
Still faking it with the 3 stage rocker ... Love it
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       11-18-2010, 4:53 AM Reply   
Wheres nelson when you need em....
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-18-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
Wheres nelson when you need em....
Too true, he pretty much invented it.

Such a blanket statement, it's been used to describe anything and everything thats not a true continuous rocker or a true 3-Stage.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-18-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
The way I look at it:

Continuous = 1 constant curve tip to tail

3-stage = Flat spot in the middle, tips kicked up
Aggressive 3-stage = same as 3 stage, just that the transition between flat & tips is abrupt - or the tip angle is steep
Mellow 3-stage = same as 3 stage, just that the transition between flat & tips is softer - or the tip angle is mellower

Hybrid, Progressive, etc = Starts with a continuous (curved) rocker line through the center of the board. Then the tips are either "kinked" (if you took a curved piece of material and bent it at each end to make the tips higher) - or the rocker gets progressively steeper as you go from the board centerline to the tips (more parabolic shape). Again Aggressive would relate to how much it was bent compared to the center curve, or the shortness of the transition between the center / tips. Mellow features less bend, or softer transition between them (which really starts to get into 5-stage rocker since you have tip-transition-center-transition-tip)

Last edited by team_o; 11-18-2010 at 8:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-18-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Chris, you are kind of correct.The "aggressive" or "mellow" terms are used to describe the transition from the middle of the board to the tips. Generally a more aggressive 3-stage rocker has a longer flat spot. The reason its more aggressive is that you have the flat spot in the middle of the board and the longer that flat spot is, the shorter distance you have to pack in the rocker to the tips.

A "hybrid" or "blended" rocker generally refers to a board that incorporates a 3-stage rocker line in the belly and a continuous rocker line around the edges.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-18-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Chris and small You have no way to know what you are saying is correct. Unless you are a shaper for one of these companies or have access to the CAD drawings. If you do, I apologize.

If I ever get my own pro model, I will call it a mega contiuous or an ultra 3 stage. I don't think those have been used yet and sounds much more impressive to the consumer.

English, I agree with you.

Last edited by skiboarder; 11-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-18-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I'll stand by what I wrote. I also agree with Kristian in that the terms are essentially trying to describe the same thing. Like much in wakeboarding, it's subjective and in all honesty is just lingo trying to differentiate similar features. And why do I need to have CAD drawings from all the companies to understand how boards are shaped? As I originally wrote, my observations where general observations, not law.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-18-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
I've been shaping O'Brien's boards along with our team riders since 2001... ...and what I said was just my opinion & how O'Brien views it. I'm sure other companies view it differently...
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-22-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Wow ,lets stop beating this pooooor dead horse. Lets throw out the cad. ??.? Out iv been shaping boards since 1974. Rocker go`s from nose to tail,anything less ~u lose power and water takes no measurments. And finlly the seacreat to a great shape ~~ is knowing when to s t o p
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-22-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
Or spell and use punctuation.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-22-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
yeah ben tell us alllllll about rocker ,everybody know i allllll ways spell 1 word wrong ,soooooo some kooooook like u says something

now tell us allllll about ur rocker thoughts
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-22-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
good job ben. now da moose is on da loose. and he is mad. i hear he is a good size fella thats why they call him da moose. look out ben.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-22-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I already did, 4th comment down. And I'm a level 10 gymnist and 500th degree black belt, so I can take him.

Last edited by benjaminp; 11-22-2010 at 5:12 PM.
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       11-30-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
I thought this post might be entertaining, it didn't disappoint. Personally I wish there weren't so many versions of a 3-stage rocker, really it's either Continuous or 3-Stage. I understand the need to classify the many differences that can be shaped into a 3-stage board, but the naming convention isn't easy to follow IMO. I think using the pure measurements for 3 stage boards would be more valuable to the rider, for example;

Murray 137 - Center 13" a @ 1", Tip and Tail @ 2.51"

Explanation, that 13" @ 1" states: for the center 13" of the board, the Arc equates to 1" total rocker height if it were extended to 137cm (full length of board), Tip and Tail are total height and easy to follow.

One of Butch's shapes might read like this; Byerly Blunt 53"; Center 8" @ Flat or 0, Tip and Tail @ 2.7". Info not exact there, but you get the point.

One of Aaron's shapes; Marek 146; Center 24" at 2.1", Tip and Tail @ 2.83"

I think from numbers like this you can gauge for yourself what the transition must be like, transitioning from a flat will be more abrupt than transitioning from an Arc.

I'd be happy to post that exact info for all my shapes, might take a while though.

Have Fun...and check out our new site....Hyperlite.com
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-30-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
Greg, Its awsome getting info from you, i ride hyperlite and probly always will because of the shapes you produce,you have an awsome talent. I'v been off the boards for a couple of years now,but im starting back up ,and i noticed everybody has hybrid,subtle,blended ,and other terms for the rockers,and i wanted to make sure i wasn't missing out on anything . I appreciate the info and judging by all the numbers i think ill just stay with the phrases continous and 3 stage rocker LOL. Thanks Again, And hope to see some more awsome boards from you in the future.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
I like the methodology of measurements you posted greg. pretty easy to understand.

i want to think that last year, ronix had used some kind of measurements to show the angle of curvature for their rockers, but it wasn't as visual... for me anyway

maybe these things will become universally cleared up in the future. that would be nice
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-01-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
I can never understand why industry standards either dont exist, or arent standard. Its not like measuring everything the same way is going to give your competition a leg up. If anything, it keeps everyone on a level playing field, and helps the consumer out (as opposed to having a confusing method, which would drive them away). LISTEN UP WAKE INDUSTRY!