Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-07-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
So which board would you recommend for mostly rail riding with some wake riding? I'm looking at the Recoil but wonder how it compares to the continuous models. Are the 2009's and 2010's the same other than graphics?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Thought this thread would be something totally different.
Old     (coyotesexual)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-07-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Most people who are predominantly on rails seems to choose the reflex, but i've seen a lot of videos of Andrew Adams riding the recoil on rails. I ride almost exclusively wake and love the recoil. All of them flex honestly, so they are all going to be pretty fun on rails. The Reflex and the Response changed for 2010.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-07-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
I love my reflex on the cable and behind the boat. The 2010 has chined rails, which help you from getting hung up on sliders.

I've had a response too and liked it alot, the reflex has more pop and seems quicker.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
the response tip tail shape changed in 2010. that's it from what i understand.

as said above the reflex has chined rails and the recoil is same as 09
Old     (revolutioncable)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
you can't go wrong with Slingshot, but I would suggest the Reflex because of the new for 2010 chined rails which really saves your board when learning new rail slides or brushing up on old ones
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
just picked up my new 2010 reflex today! So pumped to ride it! Kinda funny, Josh got me to try his recoil 3 years ago at TSR, I bought one the next week. Since then Ive converted everyone in my crew to both slingshot boots and boards. I always liked the recoil but decided I wanted something a little faster this season and something that can really stand up to some slider abuse. Maybe Im drinking the coolaide but they are definately fun boards. Really opens up the possibilities to what your sets look like behind boat.
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       02-07-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
The reflex is going to be your killer rail board. Now all the boards rock, but here is the difference between all of them...

Response: Continuous rocker, softest flexy board Slingy makes, fast board. Still has good pop at the wake cause it loads up and releases at the wake making it feel like it has more pop, yet its very predictable due to the fact its a continuous rocker.

Reflex: Mellow 3 stage rocker board. The board has nice pop but you don't have to be so aggressive on it. It has chimed rails so it makes it hard to catch an edge, but it will get shaky when you cut at the wake if you let off your edge a little.

Recoil: Most aggressive straight up pop board Slingshot Makes. Killer pop yet still lands soft, super fun board if you love 3 stage rocker boards. Super rad behind the boat. Also real fun on rails.

I ride the Response for everything I do...boat or rails. Hope this helps with your decision!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-08-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
So I would be looking at the 2009 models. None of them had that chined rail last year right?

So Recoil isn't going to be as good on the rails as the reflex? Why would that be the case?

Thanks!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-08-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Oh, and one more question.

One of the main reasons for looking is durability on obstacles. On the 2009 and previous models do the rails not hold up well? I'm just wondering why the need for the chined rails on the 2010's...I took that as indication that the rails of the board weren't holding up well. Just curious because I would be looking at a 2009.
Old     (rapha)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-08-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
i could imagine that the chined rails are somehow just a marketing thing to differentiate the boards from each other, what do you think?

@Kyle, what do you exactly mean by "softest flexy board" ?
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
I have a nearly brand new 2009 Slingshot Recoil. Ridden only 4 times, never hit any obstacles. I will give you a good price, let me know if your interested. Has the grind base and everything. As said above, all slingshots are extremely durable. The Recoil still has plenty of flex
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Chined rails is a little misleading I think. The rails itself are the same as they have always been. On the reflex the bottom of the board between your feet there is a clear area where the board turns up about 1.5 inches from the edge of the board. It just keeps you from blowing out your edge because the edge of your board doesnt actually touch the slider where as on the other models it does just like most other brands.

(Message edited by wakebrdr38 on February 08, 2010)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-08-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Kevin - I saw a 2010 this past weekend and know what you're describing. It looks like a really cool idea. That being said, I guess I'm wondering if the Slingshot rails haven't held up with with obstacles in the past. I ask because my other boards (CWB and Hyperlite) have gotten their rails destroyed by limit use on obstacles. That's one of my main reasons for looking...something more durable.

So any places have good deals on 2010's?
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-08-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
slingshot baords are about as bombproof as they come

I've been on my reflex since last April, and sliders couple times a week, and the rails are fine
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Eubanks- check your email, I sent you a message.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-08-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
I hit you back Kevin.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
So no more 2009 reflex's in stock. Go with the response or recoil?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-09-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Lots of rail specific boards have some kind of bevel or what not to protect the rail and to make sliding more forgiving too. But HEY, if the shred town crew can hit a corex pipe with OUT the chined rails multiple times... id say the older models (and non chined) can do what you want and take a beating too
the way the reflex rails are beveled or "chined" creates a surface to slide on in of itself and opens up new possibilities. perfect example here
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2611

Upload

and the response i would say is "softest flexy board" simply because it is continuous. it would be more free to bend at any point and wouldn't be stiffer at the flat spot. an educated guess, but i think it makes sense
Old     (bskennn)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-11-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
<object><param><param><param><embed></embed></object><p> from Slingshot Sports Wake on Vimeo.</p>

click on the first link
Old     (rapha)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-11-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
uhh, does sb know the song' title in the first link... it's such a catchy tune :-(