Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Other Water Sports

Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-13-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Does anyone have the homemade Kite Tube Video that was posted earlier this year?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
You can find it on video.google.com

Sorry, at work, otherwise I would take the time to find it.
Old     (bennettag10)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3662795352661557160&q=kite+tube

make sure you watch till the end
Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-13-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-13-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
no no THATS WHATS UP brandon... we could fly over the levees
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
does anybody have one of these? I kinda want one but I'm not gonna pay $500 for something without good feedback on it.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
What kind of feedback would you consider the video?
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
I have no idea. I live out in the middle of nowhere and have dial up internet service so it takes a day and a half to download anything.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-13-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Looks like if the boat driver isn't too smart the rider could really really hurt.... In conclusion, I WANT ONE SO BAD!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-13-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
You guys do know that someone has already died on one of these . . . and that Lake Powell is considering banning them altogether due to the severity of injuries?

You better buy one now before they are off the market and deemed illegal by DNR/USCG.

Doubt there will be a 2007 for this product.
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
A guy just got slammed on the Fox River from about 40' last week. He is ok I think. Had to go to the hospital and get MRI's and a CAT scan. I saw him later on that night, walking around, albeit extremly gingerly.
Old    crash_vin            06-13-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
my crew and i got one and it is sweet, you just need to have a good driver/friend or it could get ugly. im glad we got one couse like they said they wont be around for 07
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-13-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
ok, I think they're freakin' stupid.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-13-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Yea but Cali is more strict then Florida... seems like you can't do anything over there! Having a 3'rd with a flag?! I just don't understand that, never even came close to a problem with just two folks out.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
Chris, arent you part of the wonder lake crew? Did you see this happen on the fox?

I dont like anything IM not in control of, and it looked like gusts of wind were taking the thing out of control.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
How much control did you have over your wakeboard the first time you got up? There is a learning curve involved in anything...these injuries are largely the result of inexperienced riders and improper use of the product.

As for the danger, I'm in my 3rd day of recovery from a concussion sustained while wakeboarding. For 15 minutes I had no practical vision, unless vision that is like looking out half-closed blinds through a kaleidescope counts. I didn't exactly know where I was, and my arms/face were numb and tingly. Good thing wakeboarding is so safe.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-14-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
2 people have died already on these things...

1 maybe 2 people have died from wakeboarding, one because he was not wearing a vest...

2 months over 10 years is a big Diff
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Here we go making arguments on speculation. "1 maybe 2", is that the number because you've researched, because someone told you, or because it's a number that sounds good and is convinient for your argument? The "maybe" part implies that it's the third and you really have no idea.

Meanwhile, can you confirm both of the kite tube deaths? I doubt it.

At any rate, injuries and deaths on both will continue to happen. Stuff happens. Use common sense and safety gear and manage the risks as best you can.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-14-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
I think it looks pretty dangerous, but I know I'd give it a go if someone brought one along. I just don't know if I'd give the thumbs up to 40MPH on my first run, ya know?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-14-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
i wouldn't buy one but i think its pretty funny. I prefer parasailing
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-14-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
I had plenty of control Nate, think about it.....it was obvious that thing got shot up in the air unexpectedly.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-14-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Agreed with mango and jeff.

(Message edited by Aden_g on June 14, 2006)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
Mike...I agree, it was shot up in the air fast. I'm not sure about unexpectedly...probably for the rider, but maybe it wasn't so unexpected to the boat driver? This goes back to proper use of the product. On the other hand, a phantom gust could be the cause and you're right...unexpected. Either way, proper use and appropriate conditions can mitigate risk.

As for control on a board, I guess you're just better than me and everyone else I've seen learn. Our crew includes a number of newer riders who have trouble with control when they first get up. Myself included, most spend some time learning to balance and edge on the board, and in the interim they sorta go where the board takes them.

I don't make these points just to be argumentative or to convince anyone to try the tube. If you don't like it, don't ride it. At the same time, people should just admit when they are being tube-haters and butter-snobs, be objective about the safety issues, and not pull statistics from thin air.

Ultimately, my argument is not that the kite tube is safe. People need to understand there are risks involved with wakeboarding too...you can be seriously hurt or killed. Most of us understand and accept these risks, but apparently some think that wakeboarding is as safe as sitting on the couch watching TV. It's foolish to carry this misunderstanding into some comparison with other risky activities.

Haters...it's a 'pot and kettle' thing.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Kite Tubes just got banned on our lake today. Lake Amistad, Del Rio Tx.
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-14-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
Mike, I am part of the Wonder Lake crew, I am Mike and Lizs' regular third. I didn't see the actual wipeout, just heard the second hand accounts. I heard that he shot up about thirty feet, did a barrel roll and came back down. The tube shot back up about thirty to forty feet, flipped over, and slammed him straight back to the water.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-14-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Scary.

I met Mike and Liz literally back in my first two weeks of wakeboarding.....have always wanted to ride with them again, but never worked out.

Im pretty sure I would rather parasail than get on one of those.
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-15-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
hahah that video is hilarious. Dude goes flying at the end!

Looks fun but I'm not sure I'd risk it. It looks like a lot of strain on the tower also.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-15-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yeah...that's probably another good reason to follow the manfacturers instructions and not pull the tube from the tower.

I would think that wakebaorders wouldn't be so quick to celebrate the banning of the kite tube. Remember that knee-jerk policy reactions to irresponsible behavior have come as close to our sport as wakesurfing.

Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-15-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
To all,
This morning I received a call from the National Park Service, Amistad National Recreation Area, Law Enforcement Rangers. They wanted to know if we were aware of a new sport where people are getting hurt/killed. The new sport is called “Kite Tubing.” The two links provided below are videos describing the product/sport. In the past three weeks the rangers have had to Air Evac four seriously injured people from Lake Powell that were engaged in this activity. The injuries range from whiplash, broken ribs, broken neck, to a torn aorta. The kites fly from heights of 15’ to 60’ traveling 40mph forward and when they come down at speeds of 70mph.

This sport along with kite surfing, kite boarding, hang gliding, and parasailing (board riding while attached to wind driven parachute-like objects or wing devices and/or towed by a vessel or vehicle) are prohibited on Lake Amistad.

Please give this information the widest dissemination.

Thanks

http://kutv.com/video/?id=16192@kutv.dayport.com

http://kutv.com/video/?id=16155@kutv.dayport.com
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-15-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
To all,
This morning I received a call from the National Park Service, Amistad National Recreation Area, Law Enforcement Rangers. They wanted to know if we were aware of a new sport where people are getting hurt/killed. The new sport is called “Kite Tubing.” The two links provided below are videos describing the product/sport. In the past three weeks the rangers have had to Air Evac four seriously injured people from Lake Powell that were engaged in this activity. The injuries range from whiplash, broken ribs, broken neck, to a torn aorta. The kites fly from heights of 15’ to 60’ traveling 40mph forward and when they come down at speeds of 70mph.

This sport along with kite surfing, kite boarding, hang gliding, and parasailing (board riding while attached to wind driven parachute-like objects or wing devices and/or towed by a vessel or vehicle) are prohibited on Lake Amistad.

Please give this information the widest dissemination.

Thanks

http://kutv.com/video/?id=16192@kutv.dayport.com

http://kutv.com/video/?id=16155@kutv.dayport.com
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-15-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
do u think it would be right for them to sue the company. i sure dont. u should be able to figure out on your own how dangerous those are, and if your not willing to face the consequences dont do it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
Here is more into on planet nautique:

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5630
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
god, those things are so dangerous... I cant believe how high people flip off of them....
Old                07-24-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
First they ban smoking in my state!. Next they will ban tubes! What the hell is wrong with people?
Old     (andyh)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
ouch that had to hurt at the end!!!!! how fast were they goin?????????
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-24-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Kite tube is about as intelligent as "teaksurfing" . Calling either of these stupid actions a sport is demeaning to all real sports. Wakeboarding is real, you do have a ton of control over your fate. Barefooting is a real sport too. I think the WEGO company will get its pants sued right off.
Old                11-25-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
so Andy, are you saying wakesurfing is not a real sport? That is what you mean when you say "teaksurfing"?
Old     (schmidty147)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Frank is the man.