Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (doorman_sd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-02-2004, 11:31 PM Reply   
This was my third weekend out trying to land a back roll. First weekend was just getting over being a p#$$y,2nd weekend got the s*&% kicked out of me.And third slid out on about 3 of 10 attempts. Got the idea about keeping the handle in at you waist, your head in the direction of the tail of the board, and concentrating on throwing the board up and away from the boat.Maybe I'm just throwing it too early. Any ideas.

Doorman sd
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-03-2004, 5:11 AM Reply   
i too am still trying, it seems to take a while to get it, but i'm now landing on the board 50% of the time,

looking at the pic, you've not popped enough, i had this problem were i initiated the roll before the wake, u're rotation is fine cause ure upsidown straight away, but you're never gonna get round cause you've got no height
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
kevin, get video if you can - but if you're not getting enough height, make sure you're edging thru the top of the wake.

a tip i was given to work on backrolls (and that im using now to work on switch rolls): take a short cut, like 8-10ft out and edge harder. this makes you emphasis the load-and-release nature of the trick so you take it up, not out.

a lot of times folks think they have to cut in really fast. it's more about maintaining a progressive edge and exploding off the top of the wake. and yes, if you're not holding your edge, you're throwing it too early. you may also want to shorten the rope so you're not worried about clearing the wake.

as said, your handle position looks good and you've got both hands on the handle. i'd say shorten up your cut and concentrate on holding your edge. you'll come right around and move onto the "how the heck do i land this thing??" stage. :-)
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-03-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
If you are that far around that soon, you are throwing it too hard and probably too early. Cutting in and throwing rolls hard takes away from good pop and makes it hard not to release too early.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-03-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
pop is the key. i was throwing it low and fast and had a low success rate. once i finally waited for the pop, it was a piece of cake. it looks like you are getting close...just remember to Wait. it may sound dumb, but while i was learning i would actually think wait, wait, wait in my head as i made the progressive cut. try it out and let us know what finally works for you.
Old     (doorman_sd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the responce. I think I'm concentrating too hard on getting the roll around that I,m forgetting about edging and pop. Didn't think about shorting the rope or is 55+handle too short to go back to? Also shorter cuts and progressive edging ( I need to remember the basics)as mentioned by Chris and Sean,also line tension as I recall Steve C.(stormrider) explaning to me helped on height on regular w2w jumps.

And like dsmalls said,"wait,wait,wait" even how simple they might be might be some good key words to think about coming in to the wake.

Seems like alot of things to put together in a matter of seconds, but I guess with persistance thing will come together eventialy.

Thanks Kevin
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-03-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
I think it's the drivers fault.
Old     (doorman_sd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Hey I forgot one more thing.
I want to give a big shout-out to my man Andrew for giving me so many pull through out the winter and into this summer that I can't even remember but about 2 or 3 weekends we didn't ride. With out your help I would'nt be close to landing a back roll.

Thanks
Tha Doorman
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
ah well then, i would definitely blame the driver!