Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Hey yall, anyone here surfing a 00 VLX or similar? We are looking for some ideas for bag placement for the best regular wake. We've tried a few different placements on the boat and had some pretty good results, but we are trying to get a longer sweet spot. Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated. What are you running?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-14-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
If you want a longer sweet spot you need to add more weight up front.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
How much? We had close to 400 lbs up front and the wave sucked. 550 in the rear port side and another 300 on the port side with the stock center ballast full for another 500 plus 4 people. Whats a better way to rearrange that?
Old     (bltcollins)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
I have no experience with that particular boat but I noticed the last time I went out, and have read several times, that filling the center ballast actually takes away from what you are trying to do which is to have the boat lean/list as much as possible to the side you are surfing on. Give that a try...assuming you haven't already.

What's the issue with your wave? Not big enough/to long or vice versa? I only ran about 250 in the front last time out, about 1000lbs total in the back and along the side, and I have a Centurion with the deep v which, at least my understanding, requires more weight up front. Maybe move the 300 up front and 400 to the port side. If you have 4 people, move them around as you go and see what happens.

Last suggestion would be to play with the speed. I was under the impression that the best speed was somewhere in the 8-9mph range but when we sped up to 10.3-10.5 the wave really took form. Anyway, like I said I have no experience with your boat, wish I did, so just an idea after trying to figure it out on my boat. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will be able to give you more details.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-14-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
bryce your dealing with a totaly differant boat. malibus dont have that deep v. brianheres my set up and I have been told its one of the best from a vlx. center full rear surf full 750 in the locker on top of tank as full as you can get it (just over 550) 350 tube under the surf side seats and depending on how big a crew another 350 on top of the seats. i run another 400 in the bow surf side.and the wedge in the 9-10 o`clock position. keep adding weight in the rear corner till your rub rail is just above the water line then take how ever much that is and divide by 4. thats how much you need in the bow minimum. this year I have been playing around with sinking the whole boat putting weight on the non surf side. i have to say the wave isnt as tall but the push (if you know what i mean ) is way better. we run 2mph faster and still have run rear foot heavy to stay of the swim deck.
Old     (bltcollins)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
my bad, didn't realize you had the same/similiar boat. Definitely go with "who cares" since he seems to have his dialed in. I was just offering my opinion because I kind of had the same issues until I experimented with weight, positions, etc.. Anyway, the feeling you get when you can finally drop the rope is incredible so keep at it.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-14-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
hey bryce, sorry I didnt mean to knock your opinion or advice. With the deep v your absolutly right all you need to do is get the boat to list and boom youve got a great wave. us malibu guys have to sink the whole darn boat and then work on listing it.Are bu`s will need a minimum of 1500# on top of the stock set up to get even close to what your wave is. centurion is definatly the top dog for surfing.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Bryce and Who Cares, thank you both for the replies. Any info I can get to play around with is helpful. Who Cares, no wedge on this one, its a 2000. The center ballast is the only built in ballast on the boat. Two weekends ago, we surfed all day with no bow weight, just sacked out in the back mainly to the port side, with two of us hanging port side the entire time while surfing. The wave was waist high and barreling, but the sweet spot was very short. We did some research and bought some more sacks to sink it down some more, mainly the bow, in hopes of increasing our sweet spot. We definitely had it listing, enough so that my buddy was nervous about putting anymore real weight on board.

With the last setup we tried (the one I mentioned in my post above) the wave was just caving in on itself, no matter what the speed, it was really really weird. Absolutely no sweet spot whatsoever.

I guess this weekend we'll try something a little bit closer to your setup, after I play with those numbers of course. We usually keep the crews on our boats down to around 4 or 5. And they all will hang out on the port side and help balance out the weight by shifting around a bit. May have to try sacking it out all the way around, I like a good pushy wave.

Thanks again guys. I'll report back after this weekend with a new setup.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-14-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
no wedge. you will need a lot of weight in the rear corner. 700+ run aaround 250 to 300 in the bow and what ever else you have down the side. the best gauge i can give you is that when your driving the rear surf side corner should have the rub rail under water. it wont be a long pocket but you will definatly be able to surf it.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-19-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice WhoCares. Pretty much right on with the wave description with our new placement. On top of the stock center tank of 500, We had just under 700 in the rear port, a 350 on the port side seat with a 250 between it and the rear seat by the v-drive. Then we had 4 people out with us and used them for movable ballast. The wake was nice and surfable, the rubrail was about half in the water just sitting and we had water coming up on the sundeck while we were underway, but we still are trying to figure out a way to see if we can stretch out that sweet spot just a little more for a little more room to ride. Otherwise, I think we just about got it. It was 10 times better than last weekend. Thanks again for the advice.

Now to just get the sweet spot a little bit longer
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
bow weight means longer pocket..
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-20-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I know we need the weight up in the bow, I just don't know how much more. We had over 250 lbs of people of front, Maybe if we double it. You said you were running around 40 in the bow right?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
around 400. and im looking into the bow sac the big triangle that will hol 1000# and just filling it till im happy. so did you get to go ropeless?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-20-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
Thats funny, we were talking about one of the triangles too. Ya, we were all ropeless this session and we all were able to ride alot longer, the wake was great

Meant 400 in my last post, the zero key on my laptop sucks