Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-16-2008, 10:09 PM Reply   
opinions?
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-16-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
the only option has to be NVS. sorry i had to
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2008, 12:34 AM Reply   
Wet Sounds builds a good product but I would give the nod to Bullet.
1- They are metal
2- paintable
3- available in Chrome
4- mount closer to the tower and afford better
head room
5- Should last longer
6- Looks DEAD SEXY
7- Same basic cost with more value

Scott
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-17-2008, 12:42 AM Reply   
but are they as clear and loud ??
Old     (raulc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-17-2008, 1:47 AM Reply   
I would have to agree with Scott on all points.

Raul Camacho
Diywake
www.diywake.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
I’ve only seen the bullets thru pictures, and have not heard them, but after owning the Wetsounds for coming up on almost 3 years, they are hard to beat. My boat sits on a lift year round and while covered by a roof, the tower speakers are exposed to the elements and have held up very nicely, with the occasional spray of protect ant on the chrome. 1) Being metal IMO is not a plus; metal takes maintenance to keep looking good.
2) Wetsounds are paintable too
3) see response to #1, most marine manufactures seem to always have issues with Chrome and it staying nice over a couple of years without alto of upkeep
4) may have a point on that.
5) How does a metal housing outlast the material (some kind of polymer plastic?) the Wetsounds are made of? It would not surprise me to see the Wetsounds housing outlasting man, lol. And as far as the speakers they are also waterproof and specifically designed for the marine environment.
6) To each his own
7) Matter of opinion.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
You also left off a few other points.

8) Customer service---By reading posts a person can tell that the owners of Wetsounds are constantly checking these boards and taking care of any issues that may come up…what other manufacturer does this?
9) Knowledge - I forget exactly what Tim’s background is, but read some of the HLCD posts, or tower speaker posts and see some of the input he has added. Who manufactures the new Bullet speakers? I know I find it very comforting that the president/owner of the company can explain every component in his speakers and the theory behind it.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-17-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
Adam,
What Wetsounds set-up do you have?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
I've had the threesome for almost a year now, before that I had 4 pro 80's.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-17-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
Are the new Bullet speakers are using Rauls can's from diywake.com?
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-17-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Like the way Wet Sounds sounds, but hate the way they look. Ugly looking. Never seen them on a boat and said I want those speakers.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Wet Sounds all the way.. quality product and Tim has perfected it...he's got it right.
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-17-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
The Bullets look tight but like Adam said, just about everybody on here know that Tim is the head of Wet Sounds and Tim is on top of things. It would be hard to beat the SQ of Wet Sounds and when you combine a quality product with great customer service, thats a hard combination to beat. But I would like to hear the Bullets speakers.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-17-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Cody,

Sent you a P.M
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-17-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
....Bullet speakers, been happy with them, just ordered the new Hollow Point speakers to re-load the cans.Upload
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
There is just no substitute for the sound on the Pro 485's... b-b-b-b-bass while you're riding @ 80ft. I'll take it...
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-17-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
does anyone know about how many watts the Wetsounds 485's like? To perform the best!!
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-17-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
i've never heard the bullets before. i have heard the owner of wet sounds Tige RZ4 and dear god that thing was soooooo damn loud about 80 feet back. he had every tige dealer at the dealer meeting asking what he had that thing set up with because they wanted the same stuff in their personal boat.
Old     (stusumm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-17-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Wet Sounds is an audio company. All they do is specialize in marine audio. Bullet is a metal can company, tower lights and rack company. So they send one of Wet Sounds speakers overseas and knock it off and now all of a sudden they are an audio company. Anyone can send something to china to get it copied. Wet Sounds innovated these products and was one of the first. And as stated above, Tim is the "Man" from outstanding CS, R&D and just being around for all questions. So you know they will be there for years to come standing behind the product.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-17-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
To ask again what Sam said above:

Are the new Bullet speakers using Rauls cans from diywake.com?

If so, that would explain Raul's post...
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Brandon..

Pro 485 Specifications:
RMS Watts: 300
Peak Watts: 600
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Freq. Response: 20Hz to 20khz
Sensitivity: 90db at 1watt/1meter
Mid Bass: Dual 8" EFG cone woofers w/ polyurethane surrounds
High Freq: Titanium Diaphragm, High Output Horn Loaded Compression Driver.

This is for each 485 enclosure...

killer stuff
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-17-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Bullet speakers do no use raul's cans.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-17-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I had 4 pro80's and the sound was great. Wetsounds customer service is even better. Tim and Justin, at Wetsounds, were/are more than willing to talk about amps, cables, whatever to help me out. I would also give a nod to NVS as Duane answered a lot of questions about his product as well. I must admit it would have a really tough choice between Wetsounds and NVS if I would have had a different tower on my boat. I don't have an opinion on bullet they seem to be more of a west coast product. I must admit the bullet looks pretty similar to the wetsounds.

BTW - This thread will most likely mirror a malibu vs. mc thread
Old     (raulc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-17-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
David,

Bullet does not use my cans.

Raul Camacho
Diywake
www.diywake.com
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-18-2008, 12:48 AM Reply   
There is no denying that Wetsounds makes a great product but it is not for everybody. Bullet Speakers offer a high quality alternative that offers some unique qualities(When compared to Wetsounds). As for Chrome and rust, rust usually starts in the cheap tin that makes up the Ebay cans and then works it's way into the chrome. Since bullet cans are spun aluminium they won't rust and should provide many years of use even in the hottest and most UV laden sun. I have yet to see a polymar that won't fade when left in the sun. As for painting plastic boxes, it can be done but usually requires tons of prep work because the polymer tends to have a self lubricating property that inhibits paint from sticking to it. It will look good for a while but don't let a fly poop on it or else! I have heard the bullets head to head with Wetsounds and they both ripped my head off and each had there own "Sound". I think people will be really surprised when they hear how much midbass actually comes out of these little cans.

The bottom line is this...If you like Wetsounds, buy Wetsounds. If you don't like Wetsounds for what ever reason, you now have a VERY viable alternative.

Cheers
Scott
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2008, 1:30 AM Reply   
Scott,

Can you clarify how you herd both Wetsounds and the new bullets when they were just released at CES?

You have 14 post, you hold no credibility I'm sorry its true. a 6 1/2 can can't produce the same as a 8" midbass driver with a horn.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-18-2008, 3:39 AM Reply   
Buy the 485's, buy 2 JL 300/2 amps....Done. Never look back.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-18-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
Scott might have an affiliation with bullet, northern sales rep?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Scott is the Bullet REP for Nor Cal. So every post is spam advertising for his benefit. And a biased opinion.

Scott,

Since you are new at these forums. Let me give you some advice. No one on here likes spam. They all enjoy opinions. But unfortunately yours is biased and offers nothing to them except for a sales pitch.

My suggestion is to have Bullet advertise on here as we do.

Look at all my posts and you will see that I respond to direct questions. I do not spam this site, bash other peoples products, start posts to self promote. The only posts I start are pictures of our demo boat etc...I am also an avid wakeboarder and wakesurfer. I spend time on this site because I am involved in the sport as well and not just on here trying to sell product.

And to your points about metal vs. plastic. You are an audio rep. So you should know the truth on that one! Plastic is a far superior material acoustically than metal. Ours is an acoustically dense material that does not resonate like metal. Metal must be lined with dampening material and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have been in pro audio, home audio and car audio for 17 years. Very few speakers in the home audio and pro audio field are metal. Take a look at every outdoor speaker. They are some form of plastic. Why. It is a better material to use for sound and durability. Look a home theater speakers. A lot are made out of wood or mdf. Why, it is a solid material that does not resonate. The only metal home theater or pro audio speakers are usually made from extrusions. Which are thicker than a spun metal housing and can help to eliminate it.

We realize that some prefer the look of a housing vs. the sound. So we have been working on some things there. But chrome requires upkeep. No matter how good the material is or the process. You will have to constantly clean and wax your chrome speakers. And the prep to paint plastic is no longer than metal. Any painter or body shop can paint them. Most car parts are made of plastics or composites. Same type of prep. Scuff the speaker up and paint it.

Thanks everyone else. It makes us feel really good to know that we have real customers that own our products and support what we do.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-18-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
Tim's entire post was all stuff most of us already know and agree with except for that one tiny bit that caught my eye...

What are you cooking up in the looks department on your stuff?!? What a cliffhanger, man!

:P
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
We have not been sitting around on our behinds here. Been working on getting the new WS-420 EQ done and it will be shipping in about 3 weeks. The new XS-XXX sub will be shipping soon as well. I have 3 in my RZ4 and the boat pounds. This sub is sick. I am very very happy with it.

Also got some really cool stuff on the electronics side coming soon.

As far as the tower stuff. Got to leave you hanging on that one!! Let's just say that we knew people would copy our speakers and send them overseas. So I have already planned ahead for that.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-18-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Tim,

Quit chatting on WW and finish my WS-420!

Congrats on the CES Innovative Product Award.

Mikeski
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
OK..OK.. Back to work it is

Almost done!
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Excellent post Tim! This is exactly while you will have my tax return this year =)

What is this WS-420?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Thanks!

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420.html

Upload
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-18-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Just purchased a pair of the Wetsounds pro 60s, and I'm stoked! Too bad it's winter time.

Not to hijack this post and go a different direction but I'm planning on doing all my own audio setup and the hardest thing I'm trying to visualize is the wiring from the boat to the tower, I'm thinking of routing it through the fiberglass, running up and through the pipes to the top where the speakers are mounted. Does anyone have suggestions? Specific drill spots? I have a proflight swoop tower. Check the profile pic.

I definetely want quick disconnects for the wiring to the tower because I take off my tower during the winter time to fit the boat in the garage.

Don't really want to spend $300-$400 the local shop, I picked up the wetsounds speakers at, wants to charge for installation.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-18-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
The Parametric Equalizer is going to be a purchase down the road I think.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-18-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Steve, for quick discionets I liek the deutsch connectors. They are specifically designed for outdoor/marine use, don't look to bad and are not big and bulky. skier's choice uses them as OEM.

http://www.deutschecd.com/
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-18-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
To help put some things in perspective (or possibly add fuel to the fire) I would like to give my opinion. I have been on this forum representing Wetsounds to the fullest because I feel that they have a far superior product over the competitors. I have heard every model of the Wetsounds in different environments with various set ups and have never been let down. Every Wetsounds presentaion has been followed with a fat smile or "holly shi!". Now there is another contender in the pro audio marine market, Bullet. I was able to listen the Bullets at CES and they do sound nice. I can not give you a honest review of the Bullets yet. I have not heard them on a boat in the water with a system that I know the ins and outs of (true test).

With the limited amount of listening time I had with the Bullets I can say two things:

-They seem to have more mid bass or less tweeter resulting in what I felt was a fuller sound.
-The tweeter seems to be more directional (good for not blasting people in the back of the boat or sitting on the swim step but bad if you are the guy who wants max volume to the people on the shore as you cruise by)

I will not say that one product is better than the other because I don't feel that I have enough experience with the new Bullet Hollow Points. I am a dealer of both Bullet and Wetsounds and I do not have a bias towards either. I have to say that up until now nothing has come close to the Wetsounds in my opinion. I see an argument starting in this forum that isn't needed. Both speakers are excellent products and boaters will enjoy having either. It might come down to a personal preference instead of a unanimous forum decision. With my automotive clients I have some that like the sound of Boston Acoustics and others that love JL Audio. I have a feeling that I am going to have the same situation with Bullet and Wetsounds. Listen to them and let your ears and your wallets make the choice.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-19-2008, 2:06 AM Reply   
Steve,

Check out the links below for some information on how install speakers on a tower.

How to drill a hole in fiberglass

Wiring Tower Speakers Part-1

Wiring Tower Speakers Part-2

How To Install Wet Sounds Speakers

Hope this helps.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-19-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
Yes it is true…I am the NEW rep for Bullet Speakers as of January 1, 2008 (Almost 7 months AFTER my joining this forum) and I am darn proud of it.

A little about who I am…..I have been involved in the 12 volt industry for the better part of 20 years. I have sold, installed and designed systems with just about every manufactures gear that is worth mentioning and some that probably isn’t. I have owned 3 boats and put systems in each one. I have been an active competitor in car audio sounds offs as well as a certified judge. I have a positive relationship with just about every car audio store in Northern California and I get calls daily from shops and customers looking for my opinion because I am willing to share my triumphs and my mistakes.

And yes my opinion is biased….Isn’t that really what an opinion is?
Your opinion of me is biased in your post, your loyal customers opinions are biased towards the brands they like.

The main difference between my opinions and many on this board is that when I do make a suggestion or give my opinion, I almost always give factual reasons as to why I feel the way I do or suggest the product I suggest.

My goal here has been to help broaden the experience of every Wake World member by helping to expose them to some of the truly cool technology that I have first hand experience with that more then one person on here has found interesting and helpful.

And, although I was not the first member to mention Bullet Speakers, it is in everyone’s best interest (Except maybe yours) to know as much about every tower speaker option available so that members can make educated buying decisions.

If, the Wake World forum community would prefer not to see my opinions, they may simply ask me to stop and I will. But, I think that would be doing a disservice to members of this board that might want to hear about products other then Kicker and Wet Sounds.
After all, the intrinsic beauty of a forum community is that if someone dose not like a post, he or she may simply move on to the next one.

If anyone has ANY questions about me or my opinions, feel free to email me (It’s listed in the bio).

Thank You
Scott (PDQWRX)
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-19-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
As for the merits of Plastic over Metal or Metal over Plastic, I think we can all agree that metal will probably last longer then plastic when hung 7 feet in the air in the hot UV laden sunlight. If we look at a typical 5 to 10 year old boat we usually find that it’s the plastic parts (Dash Boards, Radio Bezels, Speakers Grills, Steering Wheels covers, etc) that are most faded, warped and destroyed by the sun. I have yet to see a sun wilted cleat or a melted metal board rack.

Both Plastic, Chrome and Powder coating will need some type of upkeep to look there best for as long as possible.

As for the sound quality of one material over another, this is a highly personal question.
Has anyone on here actually measured the effects of a Bullet can on sound quality or a Wet Sounds for that matter?
Does anyone hear have access to a Audio Precision or MLSSA Analyzer? Do we have a waterfall plot that shows first, second or third order decay and coloration?

By design, the rounded nose of the bullet can makes for a very stout structure that is extremely VOID of resonance. I can tell everyone that if the metal housing is effecting the sound output, it is doing a GREAT job because these speakers are much less fatiguing to listen to then the other horn loaded product (NVS and HSE included) thanks to the incredible mid bass.

Those who have heard them, like them.

Tim-
Not to be patronizing, but nice work on the WS-420. And I think that everyone with a tower on there boat (Me included) owes you a thank you for the advances you have made. If any of my posts seemed to attack you or your company, I apologize.

Scott