Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Website Feedback, Suggestions, Problems, Etc.

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
Welcome! If you had an account in the old WakeWorld Discussion Board, that account information has been transferred to this system. You should be able to use your email to request a new password (passwords are encrypted so we couldn't bring them over). That way you will carry on with your old account which has your name, post count, sign up date, etc. Go here to request a new password for your account: http://www.wakeworld.com/lostpass.php.

If you weren't a registered member of the old discussion board, but you'd like to get involved with the new WakeWorld WakeSpace community, get your account set up at http://www.wakeworld.com/signup.php.

If you have any questions, post them here and we'll keep this thread at the top of the forum for a while (as soon as I figure out how to make a thread "sticky").
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-28-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Dave; I'm getting an error when I try to set my e-mail notifications.
"Please ensure your username is alphanumeric."
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
Can you email me a screenshot of what you're getting to gobig@wakeworld.com? Thanks!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-28-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
I on;y get a red 'x' rather than pictures. What I'm I missing? Thanks.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-28-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Can you email me a screenshot of what you're getting to gobig@wakeworld.com? Thanks!
I sent something. It's not quite a screenshot but you can see the error message in there.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
We're still uploading some pics at this time. Monday is the official roll out date. Let me know if they are still missing tomorrow.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
is there a way to turn off the drop down menus above?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-28-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
is there a way to turn off the drop down menus above?
drop downs are really annoying
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-28-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
What is the points store all about?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
No way to turn off the menus. I did a lot of thinking and research before I came up with the menu scheme and I'm confident that it's the best way to handle a site with this much content. I know they're going to take some getting used to and I know some people are dead set agains pull-downs no matter what, but I firmly believe they are the best solution for this site. I modeled them after the menus on NFL.com, which I think are fantastic.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
I do have a request in to increase the delay between the time your mouse goes over the menu and the drop-down activates. That will cut down on some of the erroneous menu drops.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
how 'bout decreasing the width, limiting it to the width of that particular section of the menu (i.e., the width of pics/videos)?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 9:34 PM Reply   
I went with the full width because it makes the menu easier to use because it doesn't shut down on you when you fail to navigate perfectly down the narrow submenu with your mouse. So I did consider that, but decided to go with the NFL.com style instead.
Old     (DoctorAgon88)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-28-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
I went with the full width because it makes the menu easier to use because it doesn't shut down on you when you fail to navigate perfectly down the narrow submenu with your mouse. So I did consider that, but decided to go with the NFL.com style instead.

But it also cuts off 1/4 of whatever you're trying to look at.

I completely agree with wakemitch, umali, and scotta. I'd much prefer a menu setup like they do on http://quattroworld.com

I realize that you probably put a lot of work into the menu as it stands right now, so I understand why you're not really keen on changing it. But, it seems like a reasonable concern/criticism to me, and your response seems to be somewhat sweeping it under the rug as if it isn't... (I know that's probably not how you intended for it to come across, but thats how it sounded to me.)

I realize this is my first post in many many many years, but I'm not trying to be adversarial, and apologize in advance if that's how it comes off.

Last edited by DoctorAgon88; 02-28-2010 at 9:53 PM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
Liking the site so far. i have not seen every page yet, but i am enjoying it. i like the new gear pages, but i immediately noticed that the review number and rating is not visible without clicking on each individual board, boot, or other gear
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 10:17 PM Reply   
I knew the menus would be the feature that met with the most resistance out of all the changes we made. But I knew that would be the case no matter what kind of drop down we came up with. If I made narrow menus, people would complain that they don't like drop downs at all cuz they're hard to use (mouse keeps falling off the side). However, the bottom line is that we had to do some sort of drop down because of the amount of content we have. It's just the most efficient way to do it. I feel the wide drop down solve some of the problems with the narrow drop downs and don't seem to cause any extra problems. I'm not sure I understand your argument about it cutting off 1/4 of whatever you're trying to look at cuz if you're trying to click on a menu item, why would you be reading or looking at the page. Aren't you done with the page if you're choosing another page from the menu?

Like I said, I did a lot of research before I decided to go this way and that research resulted in what I think will be the best decision for the long run and I hope you'll give them a chance. The reason it might seem like I'm brushing it under the rug is that I paid an awful lot of money to get the menus just the way I wanted them (even though we're still working on them) and I couldn't afford to change them back now even if I wanted to.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
Wakerider111, good point. I'll have to look into that and see if we cancome up with a solution.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
the menu items can still be clicked on, directing you to that page to make a selection from there. the drop downs don't have to be used. seems like it can be used either way for both walks of life
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-01-2010, 3:49 AM Reply   
Not iphone friendly anymore.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2010, 5:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajholt7 View Post
Not iphone friendly anymore.
Harder to navigate on a BB too, but I think its just because its still so new to me.
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-01-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I love the new look, the menus will take so getting used too.

I know I must be over looking something, when trying to udpate my profile, settings, or anything, etc... once I try and do a save it keeps throwing me to the loging screen again and again and again.... help..

RESOLVED...deleted all IE Temp files..

Last edited by mcdye; 03-01-2010 at 9:38 AM.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
So far so good. I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, but how about adding a new sarcastic icon.
Attached Images

Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Harder to navigate on a BB too, but I think its just because its still so new to me.
Crashes my Android device as soon as I click the Forum link from the main page. Had to pull the battery three times in a row now.

Bummer. My guess would be that there is a reasonable amount of mobile traffic. Some forums have a separate mobile interface that works great but I would just like for WW to work at all.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
Just FYI, the NCAA B Ball thread is unreadable when I open it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-01-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
We're still updating some posts to fix an error we found last night, so the blank posts should reappear today.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-01-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Mobile devices are on my list, but pretty far down that list. I just have to get the "regular" site dialed in first. Sorry.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Mobile devices are on my list, but pretty far down that list. I just have to get the "regular" site dialed in first. Sorry.
Site works on my Droid after a fourth try. This time it took what was probably a minute or two then finally loaded. I can navigate back to the forum and it works fine. Maybe there was a bunch of code it needed to DL first time and it was just getting hung up the first few times. Anyway, working now.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-01-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
and your response seems to be somewhat sweeping it under the rug as if it isn't
I think you are over-reacting. Just because you have an idea doesn't mean he needs to implement that idea. He responded with his theory behind the change and you have given it zero chance. Give it some time to see if it will work. This is exactly how NFL.com is laid out and it seems to work for them. Just an FYI there are many issues with the narrow drop downs as Dave has indicated. Also the site that you posted as an example of how "you" would like to see it done, does not have nearly as many options to choose from in the drop down list. They have 5 at the most in any list, Dave has up to 12 items so by presenting a wider drop-down list users will not have to scroll down to access menu items that are further down the list.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-01-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Oh, by the way, Dave, nice job on the new homepage. It is amazing!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-01-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
David,

found another little quirk (hope it is ok to post here, if not then maybe a seperate thread should be started on this topic genre for corrections)
the videos icons show there are "No comments" even though there are a few. check this page/link bellow for example. Sharpe & Watson Meet Ramp & Dock video shows no comments though there are actually a couple
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/categories/picsvideo.html
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-01-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I'm getting a little irritated. I'm trying to update my profile, and add an album and pictures. 1st of all, I feel like I have to enter my email and password after every step. Do I have have some setting wrong, or is this how difficult it's really going to be. 2nd, I keep trying to change my profile. I can get in and change it. Then I hit save(or whatever). When I go back to check, after re-entering my password of course, nothing changed. 3rd, I can't make a picture album. I can enter my info, but it won't save. And I sure can't upload any pic's. I can't even find the place to do it. 4th, Why can't I add anything but board and bindings? What about surf boards, and hydofoils?

Please help. I want to contribute more to the new Wakeworld then just some text in the forum.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-01-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Mcdye, What are IE temp files? I think I might be having the same problem you had,
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-01-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
Joesell, sorry for the troubles. I have no idea why you would have to keep logging in. Make sure your cookies on in your browser and I would definitely try deleting your temporary Internet files by going to Tools, Internet Options, General tab, Browsing history and click the Delete button. I'd also reboot your computer. Let me know how it goes. You certainly shouldn't have to keep logging in like that.

As far as boards go, you can enter an ironing board if you want. The field is called "Board(s)" for a reason. Enter everything you've got. Now if there isn't room in the field, that's another issue, but the intention was to list all your boards in that field. Hydrofoils? We don't have a water ski field either. That's just a little out of our area of responsibility!
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-01-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
On the Mac's, when I first started WW up, it ran for a few screens and then shut everything down. Got an error and it was sent to Apple. I restarted everything and it seems to be working fine now.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-01-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
Test
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
I checked one thread again today. Looks like progress, some pics are up, others aren't there yet.

This is going to take some time to get used to...
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-01-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
I'm not sure why people complained about iphone support. I just tried it and other than the flash stuff not working, I think it looks pretty good. And the new site looks really good in general.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Definitely interesting. I think I'm going to have to start typing "wakeworld.com/forum" now though. That main page is definitely flashy. Not my thing, but good job anyway, Dave.

One thing I don't care for is how wide the pages are. I liked using a smaller window to browse the old all-text WW and here at school a maximized window isn't wide enough to view the entire page. (I think the monitors here are 1024x768) It would be nice if it was scalable like it used to be somehow.

BTW, are you going to bring back the full name thing? I liked that because it legitimized a lot of things that otherwise would sound rather sketchy. It seems a much less friendly place without full names.

All in all should be nice for traffic, the general viewing public tends to like flashy javascript and stuff.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-02-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for taking the time to go through the site and give me your thoughts. You must have some pretty low resolution at school cuz the site is only 1000 pixels wide. Unfortunately, that kind of resolution is in the minority and it's tough to write for that and still compete with other websites out there since most people want a wider screen so they can do less scrolling up and down.

I never thought I'd hear the day that WakeWorld is too "flashy" for someone, but I'm going to take that as a compliment since most of the criticism has been in the other direction in the past. I still think that overall we're a pretty basic site with content being the main focus. I know it's tough to get used to the change, but I'm confident that most will.

Yes, we are going to get the full name thing hooked up soon. I agree with you on its merits, so it's at the top of my list.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-02-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
Thank's dave, that took care of all my troubles. Works like it's supposed to.
Old     (brandonkneeboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
i know
Old     (brandonkneeboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
so how do i get points
Old     (brandonkneeboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
i dont know how to get points
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-06-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Here is the lowdown on the Points Store: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776982