Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    robertt            06-06-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
While trying to figure out why my Perfect Pass is not working properly (thats below), I ran across the last page of the manual in which it waid that the wakeboard pro and digital pro are identical...you can simply reset the unit to change it. I have it set up now for Wakeboard....but is there an advantage for switching it to digital pro?????

OK, now for the PP problem. sometimes it works great...but other times it will let me launch a rider way past the set speed, and then will let it drop way below before it starts sloooooowwwwlllyyyyy trying to get it right. by then I always just take over by hand. Hmmmm, I wonder if its a setting.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
Had the same problem. We called it the "Nascar" part of the run before the PP settled in and slowed down the boat. It really happens when the boat is fully weighted, needing more throttle. I've gotten to where I know when to stop the throttle - just took a little while to get used to it. If PP is not supposed to do that, then I would like to know as well...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
Simple fix.... contact Perfect Pass!!! www.perfectpass.com
Old    robertt            06-06-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Yea, I know they are very helpful, but if they are packaging the same unit two different ways then they may not want to divulge the pros and cons of each...Its the same unit, it gets switched from digital pro to wakeboard pro when it is initialized...my question was whats the main difference and is there an advantage to setting it as a digital pro unit in lieu of wakeboard pro. I dont think PP would give that info...but i could be wrong.

Certainly somebody here has used both.

Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-06-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
If you are like me, you are gunning the engine to get a good hole shot. Everything is fine and then the boat suddenly starts planing and takes off. PP then takes over and has trouble getting into the sweet spot. I have noticed this effect on sharp turns as well.

I try to consider this during the hole shot. Try to see what RPMS your boat is running at during normal PP operation during the run. Mine was running at about 3000 after the boat was on plane and the speed was set (22.5). I also note the speed when PP takes over, which is about 20. At the hole shot,I give it 3600-4000 RPM's. The boat slogs for a minute then you can feel the nose sinking as it get's on plane and speeds up. I reduce the RPM's at about 17-18 MPH to about 3100 and it's about 2-3 seconds until PP beeps and takes over at 20 mph and it finds the set speed very quickly and we are underway.

I consider that PP is best within a certain range of the set speed and throttle position. It's just a machine, and can easily over and undercorrect. Consider when you did not have it and had to feather the throttle constantly and your rider was still giving you hell about the speed. I definately noticed that the better I am in finding the sweet spot after the hole shot, the quicker PP takes over and get's to set speed. It's just a cruise control device and it's not intuitive. It took me about a day to figure out it's quirk, and another to better guide it.

Good luck.
Old    robertt            06-06-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
I will try that, that sounds right. I am gunning it to pop them out, but I would think that it will help to throttle back just like you would if you were pulling manual....
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-06-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
I was out with my buddy on Thursday and trying to help his driving style. It should really be called the Very Good Pass not the Perfect Pass. The units do quite well in the slalom course where things happen in a very controlled surrounding but they don't quite work as well in open water settings.

At the start I push the throttle down about 3/4s, when the bow starts coming back down I pull the throttle back to about 1/2 way preventing too much overshoot above riding speed. This it takes a few more seconds to beep and take over but my rider is close to riding speed sooner. Also in turns, it speeds up going one way and slows down going the other, I just manipulate the throttle to keep the engine speed fairly constant.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-06-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
I didn't think of that Mikeski. Last time out both my buddy and I had trouble coming out of a turn, the boat slowed down tremendously and I thought that PP had lost it's mind. I gave it some gas and it took again. Turning the other way it went faster. Must have to do with what side the paddlewheel is on, kind of like an airplane wing. Or I am just getting up to early in the morning to ride!!

I do love my PP though, we spend more time riding and paying attention to the water instead of watching the RPM's and speedo. I think the whole trick with the hole shot is to get it to a couple hundred RPM's over the set speed RPM's before it takes over, kind of like shifting in manual, too much and you spin your tires, too little and it bogs out. I use MPH mode, but pay close attention to the RPM's, it's pretty consistant.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
rpm mode works best for wakeboarding, plain and simple.
Old     (billspin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-07-2005, 5:34 AM Reply   
There are settings in my PP to adjust the sensitivity that you are refering to. Look for the KDW and NN settings instructions in the PP manual. Play with these until you get it dialed in for your load.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2005, 5:56 AM Reply   
The same head unit and electronics package is used for Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro. The difference is in the additional equipment - sensor, timer switch. The price ends up being the same.

As for usabilty - do not overshoot the speed you want to stop at. Perfect Pass is designed to maintain speed in relation to the paddlewheel speed. The placement of the paddlewheel does affect the paddlewheel speed anytime you turn. That is why PP is not great for double ups. As for settings, adjust as necessary. Please remember physics - the more your boat weighs, the slower it will respond and the worse the overshoots will be. You can compensate for this by extra torque (bigger engine, lower pitch prop), but there is still weight to reckon with. If your load is always the same, then the setting will be a set and forget. If your load changes frequently, then you will have to either change your setting or be patient. It is simply a computer running a program.

If you have an older version of the PP, you can upgrade the chip for about $65 and have the latest software. It allows settings by name - lots easier.
Old    burtography            06-07-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
the kdw setting needs to be set real high for a heavily weighted boat. In your menu crank the kdw up to 180+, also turn your nn setting down. the nn setting is how many times the system samples the spinning of the paddle wheel, if it samples alot, the system is "indesisive" where as if it only samples a lower number, it has to make a decision on where it should be.
this is coming from a professional boat driver, all boats but dialed on tow boats.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-07-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
I have found Paul statement to be true with my boat under heavy load (2800lbs).

Mine is at KDW = 180, NN = 90, I believe.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-07-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
When you pull out your rider, watch the speed as it approaches the riders pre-set speed. Ease off the throttle so when it passes the pre-set PP doesn't have to adjust so much to find the sweet spot.