Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    drewsky24            03-04-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
Just tonight i asked my parents to take 15 minutes out of there TV time to take me to go ride this is exactly what they said "wakeboarding is a waste and a waste of money". I cant ride veryu much at all due to there ignorance, any advice would be a help
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Resopnse:

"Yeah, you're right, getting high will be a much more effective use of my time and money."
Old    260searay            03-04-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
that would be a perfect response. Without hobbies such as this one that we love, kids would be on the streets.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-04-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
Andrew all i can recomend is that instead of a smart ass response like the one that Shawn suggested (altough it may work)

sit down with your parents and talk (nicely) and ask them why they dont support your want to wakeboard... after that (when they give you a reason other than a waste of time and money) ask them what they would like you to be doing in your spare time

one thing you have to rember is that you have all your school work done and your marks are of an accetable standard to your parents, that goes a long way in getting their support in something you love...

Worth a try

Blair

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-04-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
Tell your parents to stop working on growing their big fat asses to the size of tanks & get moving!!! I believe you are the Jewish kid with great aspirations correct? Why not ask the ol' Rabbi if he can help you approach your parents. Mention that you want a positive activity that makes you happy & provides good exercise. Also, please tell your parents that you are a kid & that squashing your dreams is not part of their role as parents. They are supposed to encourage & support. If it gets ugly, fight fire with fire, they say "time to go to temple", you say "I believe religion is a waste of time & money", then run...fast!!! Then show them this post & get ready to run, again. To sum it up, take up cross country...
Old    drewsky24            03-04-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
thanks but i have met almost all of their standards i make A's and B's in school, and behave extremely good just so i can ide then they just spit it right back in my face.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-04-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
wow, I can't believe anyone would say that someone else's hobby is a waste of money. Especially when it's their own kid, especially when it's a hobby that will get you outside, breathing fresh air and excercising. There were some hobbies of mine that my mom didn't understand and some she didn't agree with (due to the potential risk of bodily injury) but she never told me that they were a waste of money, or time, or anything for that matter.
Old    drewsky24            03-04-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
thats how my parents are, with my mom if it dosnt have to do with shopping or manecures it dumb or boring, with my dad if it dosnt involve plasma TV's (he installs home theaters) it's not even appealing.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-04-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
I really feel for ya kid. I cant believe your parents wont support you in something that is
healthy, fun, something you and they can do together, and most af all keep a teenager out of trouble. They should count their blessing your not out causing trouble( or maybe you are J/K).
Well sorry to hear such crappy news, hopefully it gets better soon for you---good luck!!!
Old     (blitzpb)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
Maybe they cracked open your latest issue of WBM and saw the Reef ad and dint want you associated with riffraff of that kind.

(PS, please see the sarcasm in that statement!)

ALthough it really sucks that they wont support you in this sport, it sometimes takes years to understand why parents do the things they do. And sometimes parents just dont the right things period. Have they ever supported you in other extra-curricular activi?ties (baseball, basketball, chess club)? You said you asked them to take you to ride, I assume you meant drop you off at your friends place so you could ride with him? Maybe they dont like the friends that you have that wakeboard.

I hope that you end up resolving this.
Nick
Old     (tige_n_it)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-05-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
My Dad would say the same thing. He would make me salomn ski FIRST! Then I could waste my time on the kneeboard, wakeboard, tube. LOL
Old    drewsky24            03-05-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
thats what my dad wanted me to do because he used to slalom ski almost everyday in the early 80's
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-05-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
One thing that you gotta remember is it only gets better from here. While it may seem a ways off, before you know it, your in college, or off on your own, doing what you want to do.
It all pays off big time, regardless of their comments.
Old    twisted            03-05-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Andrew-
Time to start networking buddy...My folks weren't into the boats n water like I was at your age but I surrounded myself with friends that had similar interests and before long I was gett'n out all the time on their boats...Cut your parents some slack, sometimes there are underlying reasons for the things they do that are not always easy for their children to understand. If you are capable, competent, creative and careful then prove it.
Best of luck.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-05-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
SEE I was right. as on the other post Andrew made, I suggested that he has the Skiier only attitude parents. Andrew, I am very sorry to hear your continued woes. Here's an idea. You obviously have friends who wakeboard, and your dad does enjoy watersports, so why not have you and your friend invite your dad to go with you? If you add in that he could get a ski ride or two, then chances are he would be interested in going. If you lure him into having fun on the boat rather than demand they approve your way of fun, then they will slowly come around to seeing the amount of joy you get out of the sport. Just try it, because it's worth a shot.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-05-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
I am a parent of a wakeboarder. It is by far the best family experience a person could have. I know that it has brought us all closer together. I would not give it up for anything. Email me direct and I will talk to your parents.
Old    drewsky24            03-05-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
TConway thanks for the offer, and thanks everyone else for the advice but my dad finally offered to take me tommorow
Old    sliderfreak            03-05-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
drewsky..i have the perfect solution......kill them. then u will b free my brotha.
viva la revolution.

(syke.. dont kill, just lock them in the basement.)

later
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-06-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Wait, just curious what is your boat situation? It sounds like your parents own a boat and perhaps you live near a lake? Because you said you wanted them to take out 15 minutes to take you, so its sounds close. And that is lame for your dad to be judging like that when he does watersports himself. Anyways it is cool that he finally took you.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-06-2005, 11:52 PM Reply   
Andrew, congradulations on getting your dad to take you out. how was it? we want details!
Old    bhazwatch            03-07-2005, 4:36 AM Reply   
Shawn K. (zipe) on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 5:26 pm:
Resopnse:

"Yeah, you're right, getting high will be a much more effective use of my time and money."

Have you been to a pro tour latley???? What are the Pros doing with the money?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-07-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
get new parents..... Being on the boat when I was young was just about the only time I spent with my family.
Old    tcboarder            03-08-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
that really doesent make any sence, because if you allready have the board and boat how is it a waste of money, if anything your miney is being wasted not using the stuff. just my 2 cents.
Old    tiffany            03-10-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
Hey, my 2 cents.
Why do you rely on your parents? Find yourself a crew of people that you could go wakeboarding with.

If your parents argue that you're wasting time, just ask them if they would like it better if you did crack cocaine or vandalized on the streets...

In my opinion, you shouldn't need your parents approval to participate in a sport. Just make sure you come up with the cash to chip in for gas and stuff.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-13-2005, 12:15 AM Reply   
I have to bug my KIDS to go wakeboarding. I'm more into it than they are. I need a driver, dammit.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-13-2005, 12:25 AM Reply   
I read the title and had to read "still not getting any" sounds like a personal problem.LOL

Walk up to your parents and say all my chores are done, my homework is done and my grades are looking good. Ask them if there is anything around the house you can help with. And then calmly say whenever you have some extra time, can you give me a tow for a couple minutes?

Not sure if your parents pay you weekly for helping out around the place. If they do ask if you can switch getting paid for a tow.

Also ask if another "reponsible" adult can take you out with your parents boat. I mean there has to be a way around this.

I have never had this problem. My dad bought a new boat in 02' and threw me an extra set of keys. He said "no drinking, don't crash and don't cause trouble on the water" well I put over 250 hours on that thing last season and about 200 the year before.

(Message edited by ridn9high on March 13, 2005)
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-14-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Unplug the TV and when they complain tell them it's a waste of time and money. Then tell them you want to do something as a family like boating. How a parent can sit in front of the T.V. instead of interacting with a child is beyond me.

Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-19-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
After your dad takes you next time make sure to thank him and let him know you enjoy being able to spend time with him. If you also make a point to talk about things that are going on with you while you are out and not just make it about the ride, he should be more into getting out with you. I skied almost everyday when I was in high school and still love to get out when I can. However, having a full time job does make it harder to get the energy to get out and makes the plasma that much more appealing.

But I look at this as a hugh opportunity to spend time with my kids and that makes the effort worthwhile.

So my advice would be to make the trips more than just skiing when you are out there and talk to your parents alot about what is going on with you while you are on the water with them and they may make more of an effort to go out in the future.
Old    drewsky24            03-19-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
im goin tommorow, i got him to try it and he loves it.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-19-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
Good for you Andrew! I knew they would come around. Parents always get hooked when their kids enjoy sports that they can enjoy too.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
Congrats!!

Yea, it's a disease. Once you got it, you got it!

Good for you, and your dad. Have fun!!
Old    drewsky24            03-20-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
today my dad threw my board and screwed it up, so im gonna give it to him and he's gonna buy me a new one
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
here is a different approach (please talk it with a grain of salt) but this situation is what prompted me to pick up wakeboarding and a spend a lot more than i intended on a 05 nautique...

last summer my sister in law bought a boat and invited us out on it with their kids....well one time out with the family, friends,kids (GREAT TIME !!!)this quickly turned into a weekend ritual.. by the end of summer my wife thought it would be a good idea if we bought boat so there could be more riding done (greaat idea !!!)

so to make a long story short, we became first time boat owners because of the social interaction and fun....in the meantime, i have been going out every chance i get...

so if you have any friends whose parents own boats, try to get them out for a day to see the "big picture" of wakeboarding and boating (the other parents should call yours and do the invite) chances are they will have a very good time and may not object to you taking it up...(they may eveb start joneses the other parents for a ride....btw, take them(together) for a tube ride)...

hope that helps!!!!

mike

(Message edited by clubmyke on March 20, 2005)