Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-25-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
I am tired of all these tight a** people. Not only people that go wakeboarding with me, but just everyday people. I don't know maybe I was raised different. If I break someones equipment I would offer to pay for it. If I ride behind someones boat I would give gas $. I notice even people at work are always down to let someone else buy there lunch and never return the offer. If you are a tight motha fo change your ways. I soon will be cutting some tie's with these kinds of people. I might make decent money, but so do some of these tight a** people do also. I just needed to get this off my chest. So next time your with your friends or riding with your friends don't be a b*tch, and kick down.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-25-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
haha! true dat!

where do you ride brian? i'm in socal too. i don't have a boat but i chip in for gas.
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-25-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
one more thing if you go to a b.b.q, dont show up empty handed, and when you leave don't go in the ice chest and grab what is left over that you brought. Just some pointers for some people without manners.
Old     (justinlkgb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-25-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
I wish you were riding in my boat.
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-25-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
I think alot of us drop are standards just to have enough people to ride. I think I will just start riding less.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-25-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
gotta pay to play. no lie.
Old    mendo247            07-25-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Sorry bro, dont agree with your BBQ statement.

When i show up to a BBQ with 3 bottles of Cristal and only 2 get drank, you can be sure im gonna grab the third on the way out!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-25-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
You show up to BBQs with Cristal?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-25-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
coop, if you show up to places w/ cristal, i'm hangin' with you!
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
If you have to worry about the bottle that didn't get drank then you can't afford to bring Cristal to a BBQ...IMO
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-25-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
he didn't say he worried about it, he said he would take it...
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Show up to a BBQ with some Cristal? Dude I always show up wit some crunk juice in the hood.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-25-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
BBQ at my place this weekend...Coop, how do you like your fillet?
Old    kidrik            07-25-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Cristal? What the hell kinda beer is that?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
I wonder if Cristal is worse then Bud Light.. :-)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
Brian: People will only treat you as bad as you let them. Most people will pay if you break it down for them. Don't expect all people to play by the rules. Sounds like you were rasied right and you know how to act. It can be frustrating figuering out who is a user and who is a "Team Player" and when I say team player that's someone that pay's his way and sometimes more than they need to, and it all works out in the end. People that are on a tight budjet or in school and cant afford can still help out it's not all about cash.
You wanna ride and don't have the cash? How about offering your time! Come detail the boat and or help change the oil. How many boat owners would say No if your buddy said "Hey I don't have any money right now but I want 2 ride. Can I detail your boat to help out to pay my way? I can bring lunch,ice,raid my parent's booze cabinet, Burn some CD's for you.
Old     (crzymom)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Grant you are so on point, it would be so nice if that actually happened!
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
Alot of great points, I second Grant. Yes and lately I ride less.
Old    Ben Kerran            07-25-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
Coop- BBQ at my place tomorrow you big balla
G- you get my delivery the other day?
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-26-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Coop what kind of BBQ are you going to that you are NOT finishing all 3 bottles?

Cash Money motto is drink till you throw up.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-26-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
I actually had a guy come to my house for a party and bring a 12 pack of refreshments. He didnt drink one of his beers but the coronas and other beer other people brought. Then when he left he went in the fridge and took his beer home. Last couple of years I lowered my standards on who came on the boat just to go ride. A lot of people always giving me the line that they would pay me the next time or they will get the money tommorrow. It made riding no fun. Ya I was going 3-4 days a week but at my own gas expense. This year has been different. I have been picky and have not put in any money for gas in my boat or truck. If you dont pay me at the gas station you are going home. If we dont have enough people we arent riding that day. I have to tell you it has been the most fun I have ever had riding over the past few years. Everyone that comes is down to pay and have fun and now I dont have to pay for gas and diesel.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-26-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
I'm always down to pay. IMO, it's a lot cheaper to kick in even more than your share for gas than to own a boat. I couldn't own a boat at this time in my life anyway, but still. The boatowner stores it, pulls it, pays for it, and insures it. That's besides the fuel and maintence expenses associated with riding.

I do have one good friend I ride with who won't let me kick in though, but you can be sure any work he's doing on his, or other peoples boats, I'm there for helping out. It also says a lot when you get back to the ramp and you don't just split. Stick around, get everything wiped down, taken out, stored, rinsed, whatever you do. It doesn't take long, it's not very difficult, and is always greatly appreciated.
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-26-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Kevin, that's the sh** im talking about, makes me wanna smack someone in the back of the dome.
I can't believe some people think that is ok to do.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-26-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
You want to smack them cause everytime they drink your beer and come on the lake and dont pay its like a kick in the nuts. Its nice to know other people have felt the pain of all these cheap bastards. I had one really good expirience last year on the delta curtosy of the wakeworld find a third be a third. Had two guys meet me on the delta from wakeworld and they showed up with beer, money, boards and food. When we were done they stayed and helped clean up. I'll never forget that day. I was thinking how come 2 guys I dont even know do this, but my "friends" leave me high and dry. I work with a guy that has a boat and everytime I go out to ride with him I always pay him and bring cold beers, and he does the same when he comes on my boat. It is not a hard concept.
Old     (markoranovich)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
You will always have to deal with people because their parents sucked. Plan on having to undo what other parents do or don't do with their kids now, for your kids if you have them.

It's a sign of the times. Hood is hip.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
People have been trained to take advantage of generosity.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-30-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
what does being "hood" have to do with anything?
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-30-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
From a different perspective maybe? I cant remember the last time someone pitched in for gas??? Living here so close to Shasta we're on the lake and camping ALOT and we have a bunch of friends that boat with us and none of them ever pay for gas (and I dont ask), but do bring there own food/drinks. I've always just looked at it as this area isnt a real good place to make a living and im luckier than most to be able to afford a boat. I enjoy my friends and there kids and figure allot of the reason I love boating is for the family time. To me it just feels good being able to get them out with us and show them a good time. Plus it wouldnt be the same without them for us or the kids. Guess its just who your boating with and how you look at it?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-30-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
That's why in my boat on the tower cross bar right beside the driver seat is says

"MY BOAT RUNS ON GAS NOT THANKS"

kind of hard not to miss. I don't have a problem though...I weeded those people out a long time ago that wouldn't pay up.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
I don't think I would ever expect to ride behind someone else's boat if I didn't bring money for gas. as for the origional post, one time my parents took thier boat out with thier friends, to kinda booze cruz, my rope was still in it and so was my board, they were trying to teach thier friends to ride when they put a fat knot in a brand new straight line thermal I had just finished saving up for and bought about a week prior, they didn't offer to pay, I dont know if they should have or not but it made me pretty mad, other than that I'm fine if someone wants to use my stuff.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-30-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
i'm definitely feeling the costs of funding the gas pump by myself this year. i made a deal with my girlfriend at the beginning of the year, that she wouldn't have to worry about gas $ at all if she agreed to split the cost of skinning some of my seats, and kept the boat spotless all year. the credit card is really starting to rack up $1014 in gas just for the month of July. now she's wanting to ride with all of the ballast full :-( we usually go about 4 or 5 days a week too.

the two other guys that ride with me every now and then always chip in. i myself always throw down when i'm out with other people, and if i do happen to forget to toss them cash i am sure to make it right the next time i see them.

last year was a different story, i had this guy who regularly rode with me and never paid me. however, he always threw my roommate cash when he was out on his boat. that pushed my buttons more than anything.
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       07-30-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Jay-
You are definitely in the minority on here. Lots of guys complain that their womens don't want to go. I know that you had a deal, but did you know that you would be going out so much when you made the deal? You might want to take that angle if you decide to approach her with it. Only you can decide if it is worth messing with. My first season, I was seeing a guy that owned a boat and I always paid for gas, except for my going away party, when I moved to SoCal. We aren't oblivious. We do buy gas for our cars. We are also usually in the truck when you drive to the gas station to fill up.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-30-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
i've been dropping all my money from my summer job into either gas for my boat or for friends boats. Kind of sucks but you gotta pay to play. I can't stand free loaders.
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
Well said Brian, I usually give a rider 1-2 freebies then tell them how it works if they do it again they don't get the call, then when they hear you went riding and say why didn't you call me? I tell them "my phone bill is not as important as boat gas." The deer in the head lights look usually comes next or silence over the phone. I usually smile or wait for them to say something. It's your boat, your rules.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
Kristin -
I'm definitely not complaining that she wants to go all the time. It's super nice to be able to come home and know you have someone to go boarding with anytime you want. I give her crap all the time about gas $ (in a joking manner). She knows how much I spend...I b**ch about it everytime I have to run my card twice to drop $120 into the tank. She drives some decent D-Ups, and can hold speed pretty well with 4000 lbs of ballast in the boat (no perfect pass) so I really can't complain. I tell her that when she graduates and is making $ that she's gonna have to treat me to a "free gas" summer.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-31-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
dude marry this chick right now.. lucky basst3rd
Old    sealyon.net            07-31-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
There is always someone that wants something for nothing.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
jay I want to see pics of that boat with 4k in ballast..?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-01-2008, 4:32 AM Reply   
i'll try and find one when i get home. i actually might have one with 4500 in it somewhere.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-04-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
ask and you shall receive. this is how i set it up when we run with with roughly 4500 lbs in just ballast. although, i can't find my frickin' pics of the wake (my stankin' computer crashed). hopefully they'll emerge from some where. otherwise i'll have to take some more.

Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-04-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
Jay...I need to ride behind that! When and where!? Im in Bloomington!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
Damn, something about a dumped boat that just looks good.

For me we have two types of days, "family fun" days when I take out friends and family, normally we foot the bill for all the gas and I don't ask for money and turn people down if they offer. The other days are "core rider" days when we take out my friends who are mostly competitive riders, everybody pays there way, I'm normally up front about costs per set before extending an invite, To my knowledge I've never had somebody not come due to lack of funds.

If you are going to go riding with people who you don't know super well just accept that sometimes people need it laid out in black and white what is expected, until you own a boat most people have no clue how expensive riding can be.
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       08-04-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
Jay-
If she can back the trailer, I second Seth's suggestion. Don't let her get away!!!