Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Planning a trip to Shasta and looking for some feedback on Shoreline Camping there. We are not at all interested in camping in a developed site with a bunch of people. Would like to find a nice semi-secluded spot to pitch a tent and go from there.

We do this all the time at Bullards Bar but looking to change it up a bit and try Shasta.

Anyone done this? If so where would you suggest we go.

Thanks
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
We're trying to do the same thing next week, but the problem is that Shasta is pretty much full, so I hear there's not too much beach.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Ya gotta check with the Forest Service, they allow it when the water is down and shoreline is exposed but not in forested sections i believe due to fire hazards.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
You have to have a campfire permit which is free at any forest service station or BLM office.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-16-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Hit Gooseneck cove off the Sacramento arm, not far from sugarloaf and there is a beach you can camp on that has bathrooms in the trees and tables. The good thing is not many people stay the night so you may be alone. really the best beach like setting on the lake arm.

Look at this map its on the bottom left of the map, and you can launch in Lakehead. http://shastalake.com/images/maps/lhsm.jpg
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-16-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
You might try Monday/Midday Flats up the squaw creek arm. It will have a beach/flat area and camping in the trees. I havent camped there in years but there is a dirt road that gets you there some how. I always go by boat. Or theres other camp sites around the lake that the forest service can get you info about.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-17-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
www.shastalake.com
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Sorry to hijack but after driving past Shasta this last weekend I decided I need to setup a houseboat trip with friends for next summer. I would rather do Powell but it is too damn far away to get many friends committed. What are the best times to go to Shasta? Where is the best place to rent a houseboat? Any other info would be awesome. You can PM me to keep the this hijack to a minimum.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
holiday harbour is cheap and right off the 5 literally.

they gave us a cheap and clean HB. were very cool even getting back a bit late opps.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-17-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
There are 7 marinas that rent houseboats, I would look at Silverthorn and Jones Valley. They are each at different parts of the lake so depending on which part of the lake you want to spend your time they would be my top 2. I also think that Shasta Marina has been getting nicer over the years. http://www.shastalake.com/resorts/index.html
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-17-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
If you want private, we came across a boat in island that had camping facilities. I think it is called slaughterhouse island.....maybe 15 or so minutes from bridge bay heading away from the dam. It has a couple of campgrounds and restrooms as well as water and a fire pit. very private. You can probably reserve through the forest service?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-17-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Yeah Slaughterhouse is private until the hordes on break invade then it's a freaking disaster. They left so much trash behind last month after taking over the island it was sickening.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-17-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
We have camped at Arbuckle Flat up the Pit Arm and it is great when the water is high lik this year. Rocky shore, fire permit required and has concrete tables fire pit and like other said it has concrete pti toilet in the trees that is surprisingly clean and nice. Wife was actually quite surprised. No reservations first come first served I believe and chep too. Forest service does come by and chek so pay the self service fees. Take drinking water.
Rick
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Here is the link to see Arbuckle Flat that Rick H is talking about;

http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...n%20Campground

Then this is the Goosneck one I really like, seriously one of the best .

http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...n%20Campground

Here is link to all the boat in campsites on the lake.

http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...%20Lake%20Area
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-18-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
I appreciate the input so far. I had researched the areas that Greg and Rick H had talked about. Although those areas are nice they are just not what I am looking for. What we do at Bullards Bar is put everything we need to camp in the boat. Head out to the lake and set up camp right on the shore. No toilets, no fire pits, no other people.

What I am looking for is just a decent area where we can set up camp and go from there. It would have to fairly near to a launch ramp and a marina for gas.

Keep it coming!
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-21-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
There are a lot of good locations but you may just have to scout them out... But the Sacramento arm is your best bet because you can get gas at Sugarloaf and its fairly close to ramps (antlers and there is a public old road ramp near the marina). also a lot of good shoreline in that area up some of the coves. Keep us posted when you go, it would be great to see some pictures!
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-21-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
You can do that in the Jones Valley arm just above the marina. Just beware of the fire restrictions that change regulary. Even charcoal BBQ's can be banned. Propane only when the fire danger is high.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Fire danger was moderate this weekend. The lake is as full as ever, right up to the trees.

We boat camped at Oroville this weekend. Great time, descent weather & a lot of fun.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-07-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
CABIN ON LAKE SHASTA 7/17-7/24

Okay so we just had a baby week ago; even though I was hoping we could hold out and take a 3 week old to the lake for a week we are going to miss it this year. We already paid for the cabin in full so it's either going to sit empty or we can offer it to someone else.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.shastacabins.com/

It is a big cabin, sleeps 10, with private boat slip right next to Sugarloaf marine near Lakehead. the week would cost $1974 for the week.

PM me if you are interested and I will put you in touch with the owner to get it all set.
Old     (ddutcher)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-07-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
FYI - just got back from Shasta - Sugerloaf Marina is no longer there. No gas, No store, you can launch for free though. Nearest gas is Antlers and it was 4.60 per gallon last week. We always stay at Tsadis Resort, just North of Sugarloaf. The lake was great this year.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-07-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the update Dan, that totally sucks. They said they were on their way out last year so its not a shocker... They even took all their boats to Jones Valley and weren't renting housboats.

But the sugarloaft cabins don't have anything to do with the marina, just located right next door.