Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-07-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
hi guys

im looking at getting tower speakers for my vtx, right now i have the stock system, 4 rockford speakers running off the 2010 malibu head unit.

i am wanting to add 4 tower speakers
sub+amp
amp for interior speakers
hse volume control
wetsounds 420

what do you think are the better tower speakers, exile xm7's or bullet hlcd 770's?

i like the fact i can take the xm7's off and store them, but im also wanting the best sounding speaker.

thanks

nic
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-08-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Oh boy! Here we go again. Sound is subjective to your ears and what they like, not someone elses. Listen to as many options as you possibly can and make your decission. All the companys listed have very good offerings and you most likely be happy with either. Look at customer support, asthetics, and overall system design. Call the guys at Exile, or Bullet. See how they treat you and which fits better for your situation. Then make your choice from there.

And by the way, there is a "search" function on these boards that works fairly well. This topic has been covered and BEAT to death a few hundred times already.

Last edited by bawshogg; 11-08-2010 at 6:39 AM.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-08-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
I would assume that since you are in Sydney, Australia that you don't have many options to listen to each companies offering.

May I ask, why you are not considering Wetsounds in the mix. IIRC, they do have an authorized dealer or two down under.

Please listen to a true 8" HLCD if you can - I used to own 6" HLCD's and once I heard an 8" - I never looked back.

Currently the only 8" offering is from Wetsounds. If you can wait, Exile will be bringing one to market this winter as well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
Bullet 770's are pretty damn close in size to WS Pro80 and produce better mid bass (IMO) than the older production Pro 80's. I haven't heard the newer ones so they may be on par now.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-24-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
Check with 06vlx at themalibucrew.com. for the straight scoop. He is in the process of replacing his Bullets with Exile. In fact, he is going with a full Exile system. That in itself is not to say the Exile's are better speakers. This guy is a hobbyist who loves changing up his system now and then. He is currently mixing HLCD's with non HLCD's on the tower. That combo has gotten a lot of buzz lately.
If you just want an honest opinion on the Bullet vs Exile question, I would trust him to give it to you straight without any fluff or minionisms. (David EM....please feel free to use that one)
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-24-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvtx1994 View Post
hi guys

im looking at getting tower speakers for my vtx, right now i have the stock system, 4 rockford speakers running off the 2010 malibu head unit.

i am wanting to add 4 tower speakers
sub+amp
amp for interior speakers
hse volume control
wetsounds 420

what do you think are the better tower speakers, exile xm7's or bullet hlcd 770's?

i like the fact i can take the xm7's off and store them, but im also wanting the best sounding speaker.

thanks

nic
I am running the 770's powered by the JL 600/4 hd. No complaints, really happy with the set up. One thing to consider..the 770's dont come off and when you lower your tower the speaker will hit the steering wheel on the VTX. If you remove the wheel then the port side speaker will hit the top of the observers seat and you cant fully put down the tower. I wasnt aware of this when I went with the 770's. I like the overall exterior construcion of the 770's a little more. Very little plastic if any and they cant be easily be removed. The Exiles are nice in that they can be removed quickly but this is also a drawback. Do you want to have to remove the speakers everytime you leave the boat? Or do you have to lower your tower to put it in your garage every week..if so dont go with the 770's.

I went with the Boost Box as it is a easy integration with the stock system and you dont have to run RCA's as you do with the HSE. I would look at the Exile Harpoon amp though..sounds mighty powerful and has some unique features. Plus it is a specific marine amp which means it may be a little more resistant to mositure. Good luck..all options are good. Malibu Crew members receive a discount from Earmark btw!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-24-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
My buddy has 4 Wetsounds Pro-60's on his LSV and they do a great job. He runs them off a Syn 4, perfect match. You've already got the WS-420 so you are familiar with the company.

just checked your profile... what's the deal, it says you already have Pro 80's??? Is that more of a wishlist of what you have? I would not put 4 Pro 80s on an Illusion on a VTX, too crowded for that boat.

Last edited by mikeski; 11-24-2010 at 11:07 PM.