Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old    cougar4            09-20-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Anyone using this helmet know if you can where it with the bill facing forward or are the straps only set up to wear it backwards? I took a board to the nose and eye socket last weekend and if I would have had the plastic bill in front I think I wouldn't have got the shiner I've got right now. I've been looking for a decent helmet anyways so now i've got a good reason.
Old     (nywake88)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I would pass on the capix and go for the protec ace wake helmet. May not look as pretty but my friend who owns a capix complains that it sometimes smacks down onto his head and he wishes he went with the ace wake
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
The capix is made to be worn backwards, and it's really made for protecting you on sliders, not hard falls in the water. Look at the Byerly helmet by Bern, really comfortable and has a smaller bill on the front.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
I think Capix is made to protect you from spit wads. It looks cool, but there's hardly any padding in it. Go with a pro tec. The new byerly is pretty sweet but a bit pricey.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-20-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Check out the Shred Ready helmets with the bill, you can wear it either way bill forward or bill backwards and there helmets are the best IMO.

http://www.shredready.com/products/sscrappy.html
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
You can wear them forwards just fine. That's the way I wear mine because I need the sun protection on my face after years of being on the water with little or no protection. However, it doesn't seem like that's going to give you any impact protection.
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-20-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
I have a capix and like the looks, but...

1. There is not much padding at all. It is almost like it's built so you can comply when you have to wear a helmet rather than actually protect your head.

2. The bill catches water. Crash hard with the helmet on backwards and the bill pulls up the back causing the front to bust you on the bridge of the nose.

I like my capix but I have an ACE for when I really want to protect my nogin.
Old    cougar4            09-20-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. i think i'll pass on the capix and look at getting an ace or bern.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-20-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
Believe it or not that Capix helmet has saved me a few times.....om my BMX. One fall was basically 16 feet to my face. My face was elephant man looking status and I was in convulsions on the floor in a pool of Blood....until I snapped out of it and tried to fight the ambulance crew for taking me to the Hospital.... but where my forehead hit the helmet saved my skull. A few other hard head hits and no other concusions that I remember..... Why do you need a helmet on ther water anyway. For sliders yeah for the wake, you just making you head bigger to hit the water and impact more IMO.........LOL....

(Message edited by riverratboarder on September 20, 2007)

(Message edited by riverratboarder on September 20, 2007)
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
Yeah i have an ace and it is really uncomfortable......but maybee bc i have like an 8+ hat size!!!!
Old    wakejjboard12            09-21-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
agree with everything ryan said. sucks when that thing hits you on the nose. get the bern.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-21-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
I was looking at helmets this past spring and was leaning towards the Capix for the looks of it, but after I read some reviews I decided to pass. Since there is not a back strap for the nape of your neck, there is nothing to keep the helmet from moving forward when you crash backwards. That's why so many people complain about getting their nose whacked with this helmet.

I ended up going with the Shred Ready helmet. I like the looks of it more so than the Pro-Tec, although I still think the Pro-Tec is a great helmet. Although the Shred Ready has a bill it is not as pronounced as the Capix. The SR also has a ratcheting strap for the nape of your neck. When this is tight, as well as the chin strap, the helmet doesn't budge during a crash.

I understand the argument about the bill of the helmet catching the water and causing whiplash injuries. However, I've been riding with this helmet every week since May and have taken MANY hard falls. Some of which I'm sure may have resulted in a concussion. I say this because the year before I got a bad concussion on a similar fall, but with my SR helmet on I haven't had so much as a headache much less any whiplash. I would recommend the Shred Ready or the Pro-Tec helmets. Both are great helmets.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-21-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
richard what model are you wearing??
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-21-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
I have the Shaggy, but I wouldn't spend the extra cash for it. I would get the Scrappy instead for half the price of the Shaggy. The Shaggy is composite and the Scrappy is plastic. Aside from that they are identical. The Scrappy is a lot lighter and offers the same protection.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-21-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
I got one & if you fall just right water catches the bill & rips the helmet off.
I think the the sticker that comes on the helmet that says it all,
"POINTLESS"