Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-09-2014, 5:15 PM Reply   
Looking for a little advice on a possible location for a battery bank.

Currently I have 2 banks located in the observers compartment. 1 bank of 2-12 volts for the starter and house loads, and the other bank is 2-6 volt AGM's dedicated to the stereo.

I would like to add 2 more 6 volts for a total of 4 dedicated to the stereo.

I was looking around the boat and noticed I have a great deal of room under the rear seat over the top of the transmission. If I built a custom battery tray back there I could get all 4 of the 6 volts situated back there which would do 2 things, free up space in the observers compartment and center the weight (300-ish pounds ) in the back of the boat.

so here is my question, this location would put the batteries within proximity of the gas tank.
Am I stupid for even thinking I should do this? has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-09-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
I don't really see any issues as long as the batteries are in proper enclosures. My 03 SANTE has the batteries near the fuel tank and basically all their models put them near the fuel tank. If you did have issues with sparks or fire it looks like that area is easily accessed for putting out fires anyway.

I say go for it! Just make sure whatever frame you make is strong enough to handle the load plus beating around and you should be okay.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-10-2014, 10:52 AM Reply   
Sounds like a plan. You're going to have them in the boat anyway, might as well put them in the rear to act as more ballast right?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       04-10-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about it Midnight, Fuel doesn't have a low flash point..It will take a LOT of sparks to make the fuel combust! My only issue is that the batteries weight...80 lbs each..So as long as you have a hand lowering 320 lbs plus enclosure down there then go for it!
Personally I would fill the passenger area right under the observer seat. The closer you keep the batteries to the amps the better! Do you really want people stuffing their things in that area anyways?

You're going to need a bigger charger.....
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-11-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
My only concern is the heft of the collective bank and supporting structure over that span times the shock of a towboat. If you can create a transverse bridge across that area with a good structure for attachment on each side then I would build the bridge out of welded steel square tube and powdercoat it. It should be designed for easy disconnect and removal when access is required beneath. Four threaded studs and two distribution blocks should be all that's needed for a quick R&R.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-11-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
I'm looking to re model my battery bank too.
Whoever did the stereo/wiring/battery bank/electronics in my boat previously must have been named curly, moe, and Larry.

They take up almost my entire rear lockers, no space for ballast.
And access for maint is a SOB.
What is the equivalency in 6v, to match, or give more amp hours than the 8 12v that are back there?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2014, 3:21 PM Reply   
David - I agree the structure needs to be strong. There are a couple of nice flat spots along the stringers that should work great for mounting a structure of some kind to support the load. I will obviously have to re-locate that ballast pump in the picture but that wont be a big deal.

I was also thinking steel square tubing to form the tray and then a 4 gang GC battery box secured to it.
Attached Images