Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-07-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
not displaying my registration
i have my state/boat numbers on the hull (got a warning for those at the same time, because there too small, hollow, and not a contrasting enough color)
but i got a ticket for not displaying my month/year sticker (its hideous and white on a black hull, craptastic graphics etc)
i always keep it in my glove box, but never put them on the hull (18 months)

fine = $15.45
court costs = $154.55

i assume they do this so the goverment only gets part of the 15 bucks, and they get to keep all the rest because its "local court costs"

i wonder if putting the sticker on the side windows is legal?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-07-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
No you cannot put it on the window.. It must be 3" from your ID # per Texas law..
Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
Number’s color must contrast with its background.
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen:
TX 3717 ZW or TX-3717-ZW.
No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
Decals must be affixed on both sides of the bow, three inches behind (towards the stern) and in line with the number.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-07-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
Seems like a silly reason to pay $170 fine if you knew it needed to be on. I've never seen a state sticker that looked good on anything, just gotta have it on there. Be glad they didn't nail you for the stickers too. Minnesota can be pretty strict too.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-07-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
Wow thats expensive. I guess I'll think about putting them on. Had the boat since 2002 and never wanted to put #'s or tags on. I have just made sure I always point the nose of the boat away when the patrol goes by. Maybe it's time for a change...
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-07-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
What human could actually read the numbers while the boat is under way? We had black on black letters and never put on the state stickers for years. Same cop would ask me about it a couple times a season. Just started asking me if they were still in the mail. I would say yes and be on my way. Never gave us a ticket. Oregon is not as strict. We do keep to ourselves.

If you can afford it then who cares. Keep a clean boat and pay your fines. If you can't pay, put the numbers and awesome colorful state tags back on. What are the chances of getting popped more than a couple times a year? You are talking about a weekend of gas money.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-07-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
Looks like some people need to stop by the local BMV and get up to date on current boating laws and driving... If you already know them and know your breaking the law, then pay up all do this in different ways I guess.. I guess my point is atleast read the book....
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-07-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
I haven't put any reg stickers or numbers on my last two boats!

Maybe this year...
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-08-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
I didn't make it one day. The Sheriffs warned me at the ramp and the FWC stopped me on the river. FL is tough.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-08-2012, 6:25 AM Reply   
i found some 20% tint/smoked vinyl on ebay. ill put that over the reg sticker on the black hull.
will still be visable and readable when the game warden pulls up, but wont stick out so bad from a distance
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Hea...item3ccb67e6f3
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-08-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
Why give them a reason to stop and check everything out??
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-08-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Putting the tint on is the same as not having it... It's illegal to deface the sticker in any way... But if that's what ya want to try, go for it.. Just know they ticket you as if your not displaying it properly anyways...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-08-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Why go to all that work and they are going to write you a ticket if they see it just like when they saw you without it. Might as well leave them off, as the other way you are paying money(for the tint) and spending time to get the same ticket.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-08-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
Bunch of billy badasses on this forum. Why not just follow the stupid law and put them on. Let the watercops focus on the real problems, like lake lice and drunk boaters...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-08-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
I totally agree, why not just put them on? Seems senseless.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-09-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
As usual, some people think the laws don't apply to them.... After all, you lose style points if you obey the law
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-09-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
I've never had a registration sticker on my black hull. I've been stopped 4 times and every time I am just honest and tell them that I'm vain and don't like the way it looks on my boat. They usually chuckle because of my honesty and tell me to put it on when I get out of the water. This year I pulled the CF numbers too and it looks awesome. I never got pulled over this year but I think I'm on borrowed time with that one.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-09-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Cory, you're asking for more encounters with the game warden if you deface the sticker. He'll see that from a distance and that's a red flag so to speak. Don't know if you and Audrey keep CGA vests in additions to your comp vests but IF the game warden wants to really up the stakes he might ask to check your vests and make sure you guys are legal in every aspect. Belton Lake only has a few game warden or Corp of Engineer park rangers so chances of running into the same water cop is good. Plus, one thing to consider, we as wakeboarders will be in the water ealier and later into the season. Meaning we'll brave the colder water in wetsuits before weekend warriors so there will be less boats to check and have fun with for the water cops so you're upping your chances even more for the bored water cops.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-09-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
I just don't see the point. The stickers don't look good on anyones boats..Just the way it is. It's like saying license plates clash with the paint on my car so i'm not displaying them. Like AJ said just giving them a reason to stop you and check everything vs getting a wave because they remember your boat and that you were good last time. Just not worth it.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
Do you guys not put the plates on your car either?? I guess I just like to avoid drawing attention from the law as much as possible. It seems like not putting numbers on your boat is just another reason for them to take 10-15 minutes out of your fun....
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-09-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
I just put my new stickers on mine this week and they look horrible!

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2012, 1:47 AM Reply   
I'm guilty of all of that. No front plates on both cars, no trailer license plates, no CF numbers and tinted windows on the car in Cali. I'm asking for it big time. Did I mention my left trailer tail light has been out for five years too? :-) Good thing I don't drink too much and drive.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-10-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
Come on. Not a big deal I put silver letters on black...It does not look that bad. I do agree that there is no way they can be seen from any distance at all.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-10-2012, 8:41 PM Reply   
I've never even considered not running my registration sticker. I try to avoid the marine police at all costs.

Literally the first time I dropped my boat in off the trailer, the marine police stopped me. I didn't even have time to pick up the guy who backed the trailer in. I had registered my boat, but didn't have the stickers on for my state because I had ordered custom domed lettering. Marine police gave me a warning and told me I was good for that day, but I would need stickers tomorrow. I went to walmart and had some reflective mailbox stickers on the boat for a week or so. It doesn't get much worse than that. I'm pretty happy with the look of my domed numbers. I've seen a lot worse
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2012, 10:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw160 View Post
I've never even considered not running my registration sticker. I try to avoid the marine police at all costs.

Literally the first time I dropped my boat in off the trailer, the marine police stopped me. I didn't even have time to pick up the guy who backed the trailer in. I had registered my boat, but didn't have the stickers on for my state because I had ordered custom domed lettering. Marine police gave me a warning and told me I was good for that day, but I would need stickers tomorrow. I went to walmart and had some reflective mailbox stickers on the boat for a week or so. It doesn't get much worse than that. I'm pretty happy with the look of my domed numbers. I've seen a lot worse
Mail box numbers? That's funny. :-) I had domed numbers for 7 years and then just said heck with it, I'm gonna see what it looks like all bare. I liked it. Now I'm waiting for my number to come up when I get busted for doing that...
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-10-2012, 11:34 PM Reply   
Worst part about the mailbox numbers was that they took me about 3 hours to get off the boat when the domed ones came in.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-11-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
I put them on, I don't like getting stopped for any reason!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-12-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Go to a printing store and get some laser cut letters in a cool font and color that looks good with the boat. I did this when I bought my boat and re-did them when I move to Minnesota- they look fine, match the paint and have never peeled off.
Old     (05H1)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-12-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
I haven't registered a boat or trailer since 2002 and never gotten a ticket. I have been pulled over for safety checks and asked but always given the same stock answer: "I just bought the boat" or something of the sort. Granted some of my boats were promo boats and current year models or a '82 2001.

But the way I see it, At this point I am way ahead of the curve. If I get a ticket it is just the price of admission, still cheaper then registering the thing every year.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-12-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05H1 View Post
I haven't registered a boat or trailer since 2002 and never gotten a ticket. I have been pulled over for safety checks and asked but always given the same stock answer: "I just bought the boat" or something of the sort. Granted some of my boats were promo boats and current year models or a '82 2001.

But the way I see it, At this point I am way ahead of the curve. If I get a ticket it is just the price of admission, still cheaper then registering the thing every year.
Thanks for reaffirming my faith in humanity bro. Always good to know that there are people out there who don't need to pay their fair share.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-12-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
This may work for you but doesn't for most. There is no "grace" period on boats. Theory behind that is you don't need to use it until it's registered. Exception might be the trailer as you could say you are on your way home. Had a buddy who bought a non running boat and once he got it fired up, he took it to the lake to test it. Got caught at the ramp on the way back and got a ticket. FWC told him a boat isn't a necessity like a car and there is no grace period after purchase. It must be registered before use.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
Never paid registration? Wow that is risky. I've always paid mine. I just don't stick the proof on the boat. Thats what my glove box is for.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-12-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Do you not buy license plates either?
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-12-2012, 4:17 PM Reply   
This is funny!
I'm all about not payin the man becasue I already get the sh!!t taxed out of me and I'll try to find any reasonable way out of paying, but............
No way would I want to attract attention from the fish cops while I'm out on the lake. May as well motor over to them and say "Hey, think I've had a few too many beers. Mind checkin me out and lockin me up?"
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2012, 11:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Do you not buy license plates either?
I'm not sure if you're asking me or Jeremy that question.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-14-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
Taxes are like $30 a year on a boat dude. do you not change the oil either? you pay taxes on that too. How about gas? you steal that from the neighbors car? come on people grow up. you spend $ 50- 100K on a toy- you're gonna complain about taxes on registration? THRALL's right- I really don't wantto get pulled over on a pefect saturday afternoon for no stickers on the boat and end up in trouble 'cause I was having a couple beers, forgot my flares, oops was one life jacket short, etc... there's way too many things that can go wrong and will.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-14-2012, 8:59 AM Reply   
Man in Colorado that would never fly. It took like 2 months to actually receive our registration in the mail. Thank God they give you a temporary registration paper out here to show the water cops. We got asked about registration numbers almost every weekend. Granted out here they write down your registration number when they give you your slip after the mussel inspection so I guess it is a much bigger deal.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
God bless the Non Sticker applying cool Dudes. IMO this gives the lake cops something to do rather then hassle me. And I just have to add. To the people that think that the numbers/ stickers look bad and they don't put them on because u think it some how detracts from your boat I would love to see a picture of your boat cause my guess is That their is 10 other things that detract from your boat other then the stickers. My guess is these people are in some sort of fantasy land thinking that most people even notice or Care!!!! Are these the same guys that let all the Air out of your air Bagged truck so it sits on the ground when it's parked??? Lame. "Viva La Retardos"

PS if you own the all Black N3 Nautique you get a pass. I agree the stickers would detract on that boat So if you own that boat you don't have to run them! All others must obey the law. LOL

Some one post a pic of that All black out Nautique
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-14-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Wait...you guys allow beer on your boats??
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-14-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Hope you stickerless guys have 6 packs and no beer guts... btw Markj... the lack of crow mobes, double up glides, wake2wake 9s and hoochie 313s behind your boat really retract from it's overall image as a core wakeboat.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-14-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Wait...you guys allow beer on your boats??
What's wrong with beer on the boat? Here in Northern California beer and boats go hand in hand like peas n carrots
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-14-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
What's wrong with beer on the boat? Here in Northern California beer and boats go hand in hand like peas n carrots
HAHA My state is the same way!!!! knowing and abiding by the LAW keeps you out of trouble....
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-14-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
I was kidding lol
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-14-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
I don't have a problem with the tags on the boat. A lot of lakes offer stickers for yearly passes so you don't have to keep getting permits which is fine by me. But I won't ever put my license plate on my trailer again. Had one stolen and luckily I hadn't put the new registration tags on it yet so it only cost a few bucks for a new plate.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-14-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
I was kidding lol
Lol touché... Well every lake I've been to has wakeboats loaded with booze. It's a normal thing around here... I see no problem with it as long as the driver is sober
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-14-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Hope you stickerless guys have 6 packs and no beer guts... btw Markj... the lack of crow mobes, double up glides, wake2wake 9s and hoochie 313s behind your boat really retract from it's overall image as a core wakeboat.
Got all of those covered..... In my dreams that is. You guys are brutal! Actually the boat (and tinkering with it) is part of what makes this hobby/sport fun for me. Yes, taking off and or never putting the stickers on is asking for it but, I board in the same stretch of the river 95% of the time and the cops know me. My slip is a few boats up from where they keep there's most of the time and the Sacramento County Sherrifs are cool. Like I said, I've been stopped 4 times and not received a ticket-just chuckles from the deputies when i tell them why the stickers aren't on. Lighten up people. Also, I've always paid every tax and fee on time. It's not like I'm dodging big brother. BTW, registration and taxes aren't just $30.00, mine are over $400 every year. The trailer is $30.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-14-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
I've also passed every safety check with no problems and have stickers/registration in the glove box. Maybe that's why they give me a pass on the sticker thing.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-14-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Got all of those covered..... In my dreams that is. You guys are brutal! Actually the boat (and tinkering with it) is part of what makes this hobby/sport fun for me. Yes, taking off and or never putting the stickers on is asking for it but, I board in the same stretch of the river 95% of the time and the cops know me. My slip is a few boats up from where they keep there's most of the time and the Sacramento County Sherrifs are cool. Like I said, I've been stopped 4 times and not received a ticket-just chuckles from the deputies when i tell them why the stickers aren't on. Lighten up people. Also, I've always paid every tax and fee on time. It's not like I'm dodging big brother. BTW, registration and taxes aren't just $30.00, mine are over $400 every year. The trailer is $30.
I say if your in with the popo like that and only run the same strip, I can see why you dont care to... Do I condone it, NO but, to each his own.... right?? and I also agree sometimes this site can be brutal....
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-14-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
I may put them back on at some point. I had the domed numbers. My boat has an all black hull with most of the decals removed to look clean. Just wish the deck was black too. (stinkin Correct Craft with their no colored decks). I think I pulled off or changed at least 10 stickers when I bought this boat and had everything I could powder coated black.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-15-2012, 10:37 PM Reply   

Here you go Grant.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-15-2012, 10:51 PM Reply   
Not quite the N3 Nautique but it does what I need it to do.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-16-2012, 5:02 AM Reply   
I think white letters and a state reg sticker would accent that big black slate you've got there well, especially since it's the law. Nice boat though.