Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
I thought for sure that the wakeboarding community would jump right in and vote/support a program that brings wakeboarding to underprivileged kids.

Wake the World is up for a $25K grant from Pepsi.The top ten get funded. I have watched our ranking go from 10th (which I was very excited about) all the way down to 303rd this morning.

It is still early in the month. If we can get the manufacturers and retailers involved by sending out emails to their list of customers it could make the difference. It is one simple thing that could make a huge difference. Please petition your local shops to do the same.

If a little girl can get funded to make purses out of T shirts........ C'mon! Surely this will have a bigger impact.

This is the link:

http://www.refresheverything.com/waketheworld

Please do what you can to get the word out big time.

Thanks- Greg
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-03-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
You got my vote, hope it helps.
Old     (easttexasrider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
Just got my vote.
Old     (gknott)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
Got 2 of my votes.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
voted
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-03-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
Voted last week, and posted the link on my FB account.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-03-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
so, can you not vote unless you create an account with them?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
nope. and I couldn't even tell if it counted my vote once I did register.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-03-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Voted and linked to my Facebook account!!
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-03-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
voted and linked to fb as well
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Voted and linked to FB
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-03-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Voted last week and again today and linked it to my FB.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-03-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
voted and linked to fb!!! Keep up the great work!!!
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-03-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
voted
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-03-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
OK I'll play devils advocate here. How is getting underprivileged kids hooked on wakeboarding a good thing? It's not like it's a cheap sport like playing soccer or basketball. I understand you would like the grant, but is it really in their best interest? Hell I work & find it hard to put gas in the boat or spend $28 for two hrs at the cable park. Just asking not looking to get flamed...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Interesting thoughts, Dave, and impressed you were brave enough to post them. If you take underprivileged kids wakeboarding, then most or all of them will never wakeboard again. And they will have had the experience of doing something fun and then having to live with the reality that they never can afford to do it again, while also being aware that the rich kids still get to do it all the time. It's almost like teasing them. I would rather teach a poor kid to make purses out of old t-shirts, because it empowers them to be constructive and productive with the limited reasources they already have on hand, plus it better promotes the idea of self-sufficiency, and it gives them the potential to continue the activity once the time-limited program is over.

Sort of like the old proverb, give a man a fish, versus teaching the man to fish.

I'm sure this will do nothing for my popularity on WW (already dubious?), but this is what I was thinking even before Dave had the big balls to post it.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-03-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Exactly, in a sport where you spend $100 on a wakeboard rope & get snickerd at because you bought the cheap rope....
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-03-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Its about giving children opportunity to enjoy a day at the lake... food, water, beach etc. Charities often give children the opportunity to do things they may not have the means to do.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
Instead of toys to children in the hospital, or meals for the elderly, or to keep an animal shelter in operation? I'm all for spreading the stoke or wakeboarding to those that may not have the opportunity, and way to go, but there are a lot more helpful, and beneficial to society and the kids in the running, outside of someone making t-shirts with purses. Sorry, I already voted anyway. $6000 just for t shirts is a lot, isn't it?
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
It is more about giving them an experience that they will have forever. I have all these great memories of learning to waterski with my Uncle Jerry from when I was a kid.

As far as them not being able to afford to ever do it again... that's assuming that they never do anything with their lives. These kids are usually between 12 -18 years old and will be deciding whether or not to better themselves or just jump out into the workforce. Riding on an $80K boat may be the inspiration they need to further their education.

When you are with these kids one on one, on the water, encouraging them to try it again and again, telling them that they CAN do it, when they succeed it is an incredible moment. I always tell them that I am so proud of the fact they kept on trying, because if you really want something, you can't give up.

These kids are in the children's homes because the adults in their lives have let them down. This is our chance to show them that there are adults that are responsible and caring.

I appreciate the counterpoint. I never really looked at it from that side.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-03-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Voted and linked
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
For our event in NC, We had 130 kids and around 60 volunteers. We also have several sponsors. We had 220 T shirts printed at a cost of less than $5 each. This has been our single biggest expense. Next is the food and liability insurance. If you know someone willing to donate the shirts, I would love to get their number. $6000 may be a high estimate, I was going by what we spent here times six locations, that's all.
I wish that everything was donated and there was no need for money, that would be awesome!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Here is a video from our last event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeTAkMYl-vw
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Greg, You're doing a great thing, and deserve additional help and resources. Whether this is the correct form to get those additional resources, no one will ever know, but great work!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-03-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
Got my vote!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-03-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
I'm behind you Greg,I understand about disadvantaged kids & wanting to steer them toward something better. I have this kid that is a friend of a friends son that we take wakeboarding with us. He has a really bad home life ( 10 years old & just going into the 4Th grade because of it) & has a chance at just being a boy while staying the weekend. While riding or swimming I try to reinforce that you do not have to live the way you grow up. I just feel it would be better to mentor on a smaller scale more often then just taking someone out once & saying if you work hard you can have a boat like this,...
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-03-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Guy's I have seen this event first hand and to see the joy in these kids faces is priceless. It's about giving them a memory they will never forget. Something they usually will not get a chance to do. If you could see how excited and proud these kids were by the end of the day you would understand why this event is important. Some of these kids never get a chance to just have a day of fun. To try something new and exciting that most of us take for granted. Just seeing these kids faces light up is what it is all about. Being a positive role model in their life. This is a GREAT event!!!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
taking someone out once & saying if you work hard you can have a boat like this,...
who said that?

Quote:
I just feel it would be better to mentor on a smaller scale more often
I totally agree. There are 130 kids, I am one person. I do what I can. I had two on the boat with me yesterday. Thankfully, I have been blessed with wonderful friends that make this event so successful.

Last edited by eccpaint; 08-03-2010 at 2:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (echelonx)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-03-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dococ View Post
Interesting thoughts, Dave, and impressed you were brave enough to post them. If you take underprivileged kids wakeboarding, then most or all of them will never wakeboard again. And they will have had the experience of doing something fun and then having to live with the reality that they never can afford to do it again, while also being aware that the rich kids still get to do it all the time. It's almost like teasing them. I would rather teach a poor kid to make purses out of old t-shirts, because it empowers them to be constructive and productive with the limited reasources they already have on hand, plus it better promotes the idea of self-sufficiency, and it gives them the potential to continue the activity once the time-limited program is over.

Sort of like the old proverb, give a man a fish, versus teaching the man to fish.

I'm sure this will do nothing for my popularity on WW (already dubious?), but this is what I was thinking even before Dave had the big balls to post it.
This is a normal gut reaction, but is just plain dumb. What you're saying is that if a person can do something today, but not do the same thing tomorrow then they shouldn't even do it in the first place. Did you go wakeboarding today? No? Well there are people who did go wakeboarding today. Are they teasing you? Taunting you? No, because it doesn't matter what everyone else does as long as you got to do something you enjoy.

In your "teach a man to fish" proverb there's a difference between learning to do what it takes to survive/thrive and doing something for fun to make your life more enjoyable.
Old     (h20togo)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-03-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Wake the World is one of the best events I have ever participated in, Gregs idea is for the oranization to grow and have the funding and the people to where it doesn't have to be a once a year experience for these kids, And in just 3 years of doin it, its already started to spread nationwide instead of just being here in NC. Idealistically he would like to see a camp or camps made for the children to go to for extended periods to participate in all forms of water related activities. Also the people who volunteer in it get stoked and alot of times it inspires them to take other children out with them on their boats in their sparetime and introduce them to our world of water sports. Greg doesn't just take the kids on the days of the event he also takes them out individually in smaller groups throughout the week so the kids aren't doin it just once and not getting back out there again till the next year. I myself would like to take the kids out from the homes with my boat but because I have an Inboard/outboard insurance does not allow the kids to go out with me, but that doesn't stop me from posting on different sites and word of mouth of teaching anyone willing to learn how to wakeboard,ski,kneeboard or even tube just about everyday I'm off work. Its true that these are expensive hobbies and I myself don't have the best boat or equipment but its the willingness to share your equipment and experience is what Wake the World is all about. So don't hate on this Idea please just vote to help make it bigger and volunteer if one of these events happens near you in the future or just ask others who don't have access to a boat or equipment if they'd like to join you and learn and have fun show the world the brotherhood of our beloved sport of wakeboarding!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-03-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
There always has to be someone pissing in the punch bowl.

Greg, keep up the good work!!!
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-03-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
Got my Vote, Ill gather some others as well..

& just to add:

The two young men on our boat at this years Wake the World were extremely respectful and I know that they enjoyed their time on the lake. Both of them had jobs so I am sure that if they wanted to spend their hard earned money on more time at the lake they could do so.
Old     (ryancaroll)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
Wow, I am amazed I am even having to write this. Our Texas and North Carolina event gave almost 200 kids a memory they will never forget. It's not just about wakeboarding. In Texas, 33 of the kids had never even been on a boat! Those kids are still talking about it today...... almost a month later. We are not trying get the kids "hooked". What we are giving them is a chance to laugh, smile, gain a little confidence. You know what...if they fall in love with the lake so be it. Going to the lake does not cost a lot of money.

All I ask of you is one thing, David Miller and Doctor Octagon...come to one of our events next year, heck contact me I will help pay for your travel..you will see what this is about.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-03-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
I know of a skinny little red headed white boy that grew up in a black neighborhood with a crack ho mother, struggling on welfare, hating life, living in fear, dreaming of killing and/or being killed. One day, he got the opportunity to go out in a boat and had the time of his life! It would be 13 years later before he would be able to get on another boat. He worked hard, got good grades, scholarships and eventually became a decent businessman. A one time opportunity can be motivation, a dream, a path to a better life. He bought a Bayliner, then a Carrera, learned to wakeboard and bought a Malibu. Three Malibu's later, he enjoys teaching kids to wakeboard for the first time every chance he gets, motivating and leading by example, spending time with family and friends at the lake.

Think about that!

By the way, the skinny little red headed boy................................is ME!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
Chuck! I love that story! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-04-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Greg,

I'd be glad to make a donation for your next event---let me know how/when.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-04-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
God my vote!!!!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
I've been there and help out with my boat, it was great and there is something great about doing something for a little kid that didn't ask to be put in the situation their in. It was just what cards life delt them.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-04-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Got my vote as well.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
i voted and linked to fb. its a good cause. it shows young underprivilaged kids we[wakeboard community] cares.then even if they can never afford to wakeboard again they remember some one treated them special and they will pay it forward.thats what i tell everyone i help just help someone else in the future and if i'm lucky i'll be a recipient when i need help.GOD BLESS ALL WHO GIVE UNSELFISHLY.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
This is the most current video from Wake the World (in NC). It probably tells the story the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlxk_3YuucM
Old     (dav1268)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-04-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
I believe the reason that it dropped from 10 to 303 is because voting ends at the end of each month with 10 winners in the $25k category. So if you like this idea get out there and vote as often as possible this month and maybe it'll have a chance in August. You can vote once per day via facebook and once per day via text if you're dedicated!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Sorry for pissing in the punch bowl!

I guess honest intellectual debate is a hard thing for some people to tolerate.

Greg H., I really appreciate your intelligent, thoughtful, and non-defensive responses. I get what you are going for, as I've taught ski and wakeboard clinics for many years, including to many who will never have the oportunity to do it again. Currently, I'm with a group in CA who teaches learn to ski clinics for disabled kids, and you are correct, the emotions that they share with us during these events feel really good for them and for us, as well. Your passion is clear, and the strength of your character is clear, as well. Keep up the good work.

Scott ("This is a normal gut reaction, but is just plain dumb.'), I appreciate the amatuer psychoanalysis, and I'm sorry you think the doctor is dumb, or at least that I might sometimes say dumb things. I'm sorry you do not understand the perspective that I was attempting to offer (I believe Greg did). It is all about optimal allocation of resources when such resources are limited. There is nothing wrong with Greg's proposal; in fact, it's a great vision he has, and further, he is working hard to make it happen. I guess i should have expected that not everybody on here would be willing and/or able to consider the issues from the larger social perspective, but no matter... It's wakeboarding, so just have fun with it.

Again, Greg, counterpoints not-withstanding, you strike me as a great ambassador for our sport, and also the type of human that the world needs more of, so keep fighting the good fight.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-04-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
I guess honest intellectual debate is a hard thing for some people to tolerate.
Not at all. It's just not something I care to debate with you, nothing personal, and I don't think he started this thread to have a debate.

It just seems that there are a few people that post on here just to stir the pot.

If you're looking to have a debate......check out some on the non-wakeboarding threads, or heck start one yourself. Anything that has to do with politcs or religion should get you what your looking for.

Voted again today!!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
No worries, Paul. I agree some people on here post to stir the pot, in generally I try not to be one of them, but in this case, maybe I was.

I choose not to discuss politics or religion at work or most other places, and several years ago I completely swore off the "non-wakeboarding" forums for that very reason. There are people in there that don't even ride wakeboards but instead just come online to start arguments and insult people that disagree with them. Sad, because when you look at the social psychology research regarding habits that correlate with happy people, that ain't one of them.

Your tone suggests you might still have some bad feelings toward me, and if so, then that's too bad, since we don't even know each other. Again, sorry to piss in the punch bowl.

I tried to make good in my last post, at least toward Greg, and give him his proppas. Done with this for now, because I'm headed to the lake. I haven't ridden in a week, so maybe that's why I slipped into pot-stirring mode yesterday.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-04-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
No worries, doc.

Easy to misinterpret "tones" when communicating through text.

Enjoy the lake.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
I actually enjoy hearing the other perspectives. I had never even considered that there may have been a downside to what we are doing (especially on a wakeboarding forum). It gives me a chance to explain why this means so much to me.

I thought the points that were brought up were valid concerns. I would rather have the chance to address them, than for someone to go on without understanding why we think that it is worthy of support..
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
Woo Hoo! You guys are awesome! We have moved up to 48. It is still early in the month and we are moving in the right direction. Please send out emails and repost on facebook and myspace. Thanks again for voting everyday!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-04-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccpaint View Post
I actually enjoy hearing the other perspectives. I had never even considered that there may have been a downside to what we are doing (especially on a wakeboarding forum). It gives me a chance to explain why this means so much to me.

I thought the points that were brought up were valid concerns. I would rather have the chance to address them, than for someone to go on without understanding why we think that it is worthy of support..
That's one of the reasons I said "I'll play devil's advocate" If used in the proper context it gives you a reason to explain why & how instead of just vote for my cause.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
I actually used this thread in my youth class tonight. I was explaining that being challenged on something that you are passionate about is a good thing. It gives you a chance to explain why you are passionate about your cause.
Old     (nautique830)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
Got my vote and posted it on my fb account.
WaketheWorld was an awesome event. I got to take part in the WTW Texas even this year. All 4 of the boys on my boat had a blast and enjoyed every last minute of it. None of them had ever been wakeboarding… 3 or the 4 of them got up. One got up on his first attempt ever. It was truly awesome. I will definitely be back at the lake next year for the event. Giving these children and teens the opportunity to have this chance will last a lifetime and I’m sure they will be talking about it in the future years down the roads.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-04-2010, 10:45 PM Reply   
Is Pepsi going to spam me up if I vote for it? It seems like they need a lot of info simply to vote.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
Not seen anything at all from them at all other than a text that says thank you 4 voting.
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       08-05-2010, 12:22 AM Reply   
For a thread about a charity, this got harsh pretty quickly. I don't see how offering a different opinion about the consequences of promoting one charity over another is "stirring the pot". The fact that people are debating the merits of Wake the World, or anything really, is a positive thing in my opinion.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-05-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
I voted and posted to facebook.

I would enjoy bringing out my SN2001 and helping out if you need it next time. I live SC.

Thanks

Raymond
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-05-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
I voted
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-05-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerock88 View Post
For a thread about a charity, this got harsh pretty quickly. I don't see how offering a different opinion about the consequences of promoting one charity over another is "stirring the pot". The fact that people are debating the merits of Wake the World, or anything really, is a positive thing in my opinion.
If it fires people up & they actually think, then stirring the pot is not a bad thing. A opposing view brings a three dimensional picture to a two dimensional post , Some just lash out as a knee jerk reaction & still don't think about the issue at hand...
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-05-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
What a boring life this would be if everyone had the same point of view.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-05-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Voted and linked to my facebook page! Thank you for what you do!
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       08-05-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
Rank @ 50!
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-05-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
Voted and linked to FB..
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-06-2010, 2:59 AM Reply   
It's not about getting under privledged hooked on wakeboarding. When I did the Wake the World Texas we had 3 girls on our boat. Two were 15, and one was 16. We had to pretty much carry them onto the boat because they were so scared of it. Never seen one, and had never been to the lake. Can you imaging growing old and never getting a chance to enjoy the experience the lake can offer? I've been going to the lake since before I could walk, I can't imagine that. It's also about the kid's self esteem. Most of these kids had been bullied around by parents and led to believe that they will always fail and never amount to anything. Being the one to show them that they can achieve things if they try is crazy emotional. Even if it's as small as riding the kneeboard, or surfboard, or just the tube. To see the faces when they achieve and when they hear you cheering them on, words cannot explain. It also shows them that the world is not out to get them, and there are people who care if they make it in life. And it shows them that you're not just another stuck up a-hole with money who thinks they are better than the world.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
We were interviewed by a local paper yesterday and it is supposed to print on Wednesday. The extra publicity should help. Thanks to all of you that are voting and spreading the word! We really appreciate it!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-06-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
voted..
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-08-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
We are on the radio tomorrow. It's a small local station, but every little bit helps!
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       08-08-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
I voted!
My 2 cents..... I think it's a great idea and as some have said, who knows what inspiration you may give to a kid. But another thought came to mind - I have supported kids and adults going on mission trips for years - and even have gone on some. I used to question it - why can't we just send the money and let them use local labor (much cheaper) to build whatever we're doing? And then I realized, it's as much about the people doing the project as the "receivers" - both sides benefit. Keep it up and good luck with the grant!
PS I thought it was a fair question to ask..... and I would encourage everyone to contribute their time (not just money) to a similar project. You'll come away with a different perspective.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-10-2010, 11:12 PM Reply   
Well said Lloyd!

When we started this, it was about the kids. But after the first event, I realized it was more than that. It is about everyone involved. You don't know how many times that I have adults at the end of the day, in tears over their experience. "Life changing" is one of my favorite comments (Ryan). " I'm hooked. Count me in on everything for Wake the World." (Scott) . "I have been looking for something life. And now I've found it. I want to be involved in everyway I can." (Chris) "Greg, this was so wonderful. I can't thank you enough for including us. " (Sonya) These are just some of the comments from this year alone. There are so many more and a few that were some so intimate and personal and dear to my heart, I will not share them. So, I am going to go with "Life changing". That's probably the simpliest and best way to describe it.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-11-2010, 4:06 AM Reply   
dave?
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-11-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
We were on the cover of The Randolph Guide today about WTW. The writer took the liberty of calling the kids orphans. The word "orphan" never came up in our interview, if it had, I would have quickly corrected him.

I guess this may be a common misconception. Most all of the children in the Children's Homes are there because the adults in their lives are not responsible. They were removed from the parents for their health and safety. Very few, if any, are actually orphans.

The very first time I met some of the kids, my thoughts were, " How, as a parent, can you not love these kids?" I just think about how far I would go to keep my own kids safe and cared for. Many of these kids were treated like the family dog. No care for their school work, social skills or health & well being.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-15-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
We sold hotdogs at the Grand Opening of "The Buck Stop" . We raised $350 for Wake the World!

Don't forget to vote!!!! Text "101317" to 73774 (pepsi) or online:

http://www.refresheverything.com/waketheworld

Last edited by eccpaint; 08-15-2010 at 8:36 PM. Reason: left out word
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
Bump

Just a reminder that you can vote once a day!!!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-19-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
I will be on our local Fox station tomorrow morning to talk about WTW and Pepsi refresh everything. Hopefully, that will help get the word out. The top 100 get renewed for next month, so we are still in good shape. Please vote often and tell your friends! Thanks.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-19-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
VOTED! How are we looking?
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Wake the World Philadelphia! That's what's happening.
Wake the World Florida! Yep, that's what I was told.

There are a few others that are close to making a commitment. How awesome!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Greg, wake the world Philadelphia? I'm close to there, do you have any info? Or a link? Thanks.

Great job BTW! Keep up the good work!

-Dave
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
I sent JC an email. Hopefully he will jump on here and tell you all about his plans in Philly.
Old     (jcwanck)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-23-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
Wake the world Philly style is in the making! I'll admit that I have just started planning for the event next year - there is a lot to do!

I do have an organization that supports grieving kids that is very interested in playing their part so the main logistics left are location and boats. Of course there is a lot of other stuff to plan and relationships to form, but things are off and running and I am excited. If there is anyone in the area that is interested in being a part of this, give me a shout! I will post more as things develop.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
JC, glad to hear about wake the world coming to the Philly area! Count me in to help any way I can. I sent you a private message. (I have some ideas for this and also know alot of people in this area that could help, boat owners, riders, etc.) I'm also with a company based out of Philly so maybe they could help.

I see you're not far from me.....where do you ride?

-Dave

Last edited by njskier; 08-24-2010 at 1:30 PM.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-24-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccpaint View Post
Wake the World Philadelphia! That's what's happening.
Wake the World Florida! Yep, that's what I was told.

There are a few others that are close to making a commitment. How awesome!
Wheres the one in Florida?
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-24-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
We have someone in Tampa and someone in Orlando area. Not sure exactly how it will play out just yet. One of the guys(Tampa) is flying in to meet with me at the end of October.